Napheesa Snubbed for Wooden Award | The Boneyard

Napheesa Snubbed for Wooden Award

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Until the last 3 games, she seemed to be under the radar somewhat. Even in the BY, she would be called efficient but not flashy.
I guess the voters could not adjust their feelings, Hope this adds fuel to her. Nothing better than a ticked off husky. :D

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
John R. Wooden Award Presented By Wendy's Announces 2016-17 Late Season Top 20

Gabby and Katie-Lou make the list. Napheesa should be on the list. As Rebecca tweeted, she's one of the 20 Best Players in College.

I'm certainly not going to argue that Napheesa has had a great season. That's for sure, with an exclamation point. (On the other hand, Gabby dropped the hammer on our Irish Head bang )
The release is interesting in explaining this:
"After not appearing on either the women’s Wooden Award™ Preseason Top 30 or the Midseason Top 25, Chantel Osahor, the nation’s leading rebounder, and Gabby Williams, who recorded a triple-double in #1 Connecticut’s 94th consecutive victory, appear on the Late Season Top 20."

It also went out of its way to say a few schools had two nominations each (and no more than two), which seems to be a stress point, perhaps indicating Napheesa's prime competition -- rightly or wrongly -- is Gabby.

Lastly,"... players not appearing on this list are still eligible for the Final Ballot, which will be announced in early March and will consist of 15 top players."

My gut is that this will change a bit further based on what team and players stumble/keep charging. I still don't see any one team having three players, but you never know. In my very humble opinion, if Plum takes over the all-time scoring lead, this award is headed to the left coast.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
John R. Wooden Award Presented By Wendy's Announces 2016-17 Late Season Top 20

Gabby and Katie-Lou make the list. Napheesa should be on the list. As Rebecca tweeted, she's one of the 20 Best Players in College.

Perhaps it is time for a write-in vote, which worked for Rico Carty in 1970, Steve Garvey in 1974, and almost worked for Bette Davis in 1934.........................
upload_2017-2-9_10-31-18.png

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
There is not, and has not been, a day in the past two seasons that I would take Anigwe(Cal) over Collier.

Here are the numbers.
Player - MPG - Points - FG% - 3PT% - FT% - Assists - Rebounds - Blocks - Turnovers - Pers. Fouls
Anigwe - 30-----22 -------61 ----- 0 -------68 -----21 ----------236 --------44 ----------71 -----------71
Collier ---30 ----19.5------69 ------37.5 ---80 -----51-----------195 --------42-----------31-----------47

I can toss the numbers out because I watch both closely(more than most here). Collier is a way more complete player.

But, I dont have a vote.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
If the "UConn attitude" is what we suppose it to be, then we can be assured that Phee doesn't really care about the Wooden Award. She cares about the NCAA Championship trophy - because it is won by a team.

Reaction Score
It is what it is...can't change a thing ranting and raving about! Yeah Napheesa belongs on the list...OH WELL! As much as I wanted her on the list, it's nothing I can control. I'm over it. Just adds fuel to Pheesa's Fire!!!!! Get em' Pheese!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Pheesa has just emerged from under the radar (if that's possible) from her 19.5 ppg yet barely visible existence.

Gradually, contest by contest, she will sneak up on the various committee's and plenipotentiaries (love that word) and will be fully accredited by season's end.

Not that she'll necessarily win a player of the year award, but she'll be up there.
There's always next year

You heard it first here.

Reaction Score
Until the last 3 games, she seemed to be under the radar somewhat. Even in the BY, she would be called efficient but not flashy.
I guess the voters could not adjust their feelings, Hope this adds fuel to her. Nothing better than a ticked off husky. :D
OOOOP's----if you have been reading the By---since the start of the year we've been discussing her
game--many saw her trail to stardom --some were late commers to Napheesa--but she was NOT under the By radar. I doubt she was under the radar of many of the coaches who played UC.
I don't think anyone on uconn team is 'flashy" on the court--off the court--Napheesa is to die for--they just do the job, pick up their lunch pails and head home.

Reaction Score
Taking nothing away from the other UConn players (also, I haven't seen some players from other teams), Napheesa is the best player on UConn. Incidently, I love them all, and inch for inch, pound for pound, they're easily the best team in the country. When considering how good a player is, you should really consider points, scoring "efficiency", rebounds, assists, blocks, steals, turnover ratio, "consistency" and probably a few categories I've missed. Considering those issues Napheesa is tops on the team, followed by Gabby then KLS. Again, this takes nothing away from anyone. The three have their roles and they complement one another beautifully; you can throw Kiah and Saniya of late into that mix as well. (How does Geno find these guys?) Napheesa not being on the W list suggests selectors know less (perhaps far less) than they think about the game. Oh well, politics as usual.

Reaction Score
There is not, and has not been, a day in the past two seasons that I would take Anigwe(Cal) over Collier.

Here are the numbers.
Player - MPG - Points - FG% - 3PT% - FT% - Assists - Rebounds - Blocks - Turnovers - Pers. Fouls
Anigwe - 30-----22 -------61 ----- 0 -------68 -----21 ----------236 --------44 ----------71 -----------71
Collier ---30 ----19.5------69 ------37.5 ---80 -----51-----------195 --------42-----------31-----------47

I can toss the numbers out because I watch both closely(more than most here). Collier is a way more complete player.

But, I dont have a vote.

What isn't captured in these stats is the fact that Napheesa is a critically important member of a team that is not only #1 in the nation, but is on a 98-game winning streak. Lots and lots of players on mediocre to poor teams rack up big individual numbers. But they do so because no one else on the team is good enough to take the pressure off them. Anigwe is a fine player, but her team is mediocre. Much, much harder to be a great player on a great team. And that is what Napheesa is.

It's outrageous that she was left off the top 20 in the nation. She should be in the top six in the nation. Without her, where would UConn be today in the standings? Exactly.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yeah she should easily be a nominee. But what is, is. What ain't, ain't. I'm moving on.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately for Napheesa her game is not flashy enough. She just does her job ... devastatingly well.

The fact of the matter is that this team has three players who deserve national recognition and they all will not get what they deserve. Gabby may be the team's MVP although her offensive game is not elite. However, she just does so many little things very well. Just imagine where this team would be without her. Who would guard the other team's center and bump and grind under the basket? She sees the court better than anyone (other than Dangerfield) and makes great passes. She is a terror on defense and leads the team in steals. Samuelson is capable of dominating the game and may have the best all-around offensive game in the country. She can take a team's heart with her long threes and deceptive moves to the basket. When she gets hot, forget it.

That leaves us with little ol' Napheesa who is the most efficient all-around player in the country. The team always seems a little off kilter when she goes to the bench. They don't score as well (of course not, she is the second leading and most efficient scorer) they don't rebound as well (of course not she leads the team in rebounds), they don't protect the hoop as well (well ... she does lead the team in blocks). If you don't look closely you will not see her amazing hands (she catches everything), her great skill at boxing out (for a slim player she holds people on her hip and back to create space amazingly well), her great anticipation and ability to read the ball in the air and off the rim, her array of little moves that gets her a clear shot at the basket. She runs the floor better than any player on the team. None of that shows up on the stat sheet, you have to watch the game. Frankly, even if you only look at the stat sheet your jaw should drop (19.5/8.7 on 68% shooting). How many in the country can beat that stat line? I know this is heresy, but her stats are ever so slightly better than Stewie's sophomore year when she won AP player of the year! Some may think what she does is easy because most of her shots are within 8 feet of the hoop. But as the old saying goes: "If it was easy, everyone would do it."

So who do you leave off if you are only going to pick two? Samuelson will always make it because she leads in scoring (the first thing all voters look at) and her shots sometimes take your breath away and make highlight reels. So Gabby and Napheesa will always be a little bit of a pick'em.

Reaction Score
Just more motivation for pheese to continue on her greatness and add another ring to her finger. Don't know how a player who's averaging 20 and 9rb 2a 2s and 2 blocks isn't on the list.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
OOOOP's----if you have been reading the By---since the start of the year we've been discussing her
game--many saw her trail to stardom --some were late commers to Napheesa--but she was NOT under the By radar. I doubt she was under the radar of many of the coaches who played UC.
I don't think anyone on uconn team is 'flashy" on the court--off the court--Napheesa is to die for--they just do the job, pick up their lunch pails and head home.

A month ago I posted a long comment about Napheesa praising her talents and predicting (because she is not "flashy") that the high volume shooters/scorers scattered around the country will draw more attention than she will from the awards voters who value highlight reel material more than they do solid, consistent, excellent basketball.

On a team filled with "favorite" players, for me Napheesa stands out. Game in, game out she is there making the fundamental plays that great teams are built on.

And..... She will be the player that Geno uses in the future to describe to talented new recruits just what is possible if you do the work, buy into the program, and never give less than your all.

Reaction Score

A month ago I posted a long comment about Napheesa praising her talents and predicting (because she is not "flashy") that the high volume shooters/scorers scattered around the country will draw more attention than she will from the awards voters who value highlight reel material more than they do solid, consistent, excellent basketball.

On a team filled with "favorite" players, for me Napheesa stands out. Game in, game out she is there making the fundamental plays that great teams are built on.

And.... She will be the player that Geno uses in the future to describe to talented new recruits just what is possible if you do the work, buy into the program, and never give less than your all.

Wow! Love every word---I love the facts and the emotions. Napheesa (precious) is all you say and then some.
I like the first paragraph--(not flash) high volume shooter/scorers--etc. You know that of which you write.
If I disagreed with a comment like this in a prior posting--I need to go back to the Dementia Attorney (Dr's apparently didn't work)!! Did i say I like your posting???

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
If the "UConn attitude" is what we suppose it to be, then we can be assured that Phee doesn't really care about the Wooden Award. She cares about the NCAA Championship trophy - because it is won by a team.
nah... these players and all players care about those list, are they a huge deal nah but best believe they feel some type of way. check out how MKW "retweets" every mention of her... you cant just turn off those emotions.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Taking nothing away from the other UConn players (also, I haven't seen some players from other teams), Napheesa is the best player on UConn. Incidently, I love them all, and inch for inch, pound for pound, they're easily the best team in the country. When considering how good a player is, you should really consider points, scoring "efficiency", rebounds, assists, blocks, steals, turnover ratio, "consistency" and probably a few categories I've missed. Considering those issues Napheesa is tops on the team, followed by Gabby then KLS. Again, this takes nothing away from anyone. The three have their roles and they complement one another beautifully; you can throw Kiah and Saniya of late into that mix as well. (How does Geno find these guys?) Napheesa not being on the W list suggests selectors know less (perhaps far less) than they think about the game. Oh well, politics as usual.
She graduated a few years back

Memphis_UConn_Basketball__sportsmrep-am.com_3.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom