Napheesa named AP First Team All-American | The Boneyard

Napheesa named AP First Team All-American

Reaction Score
1554135774624.png

[LINK] to AP story with more info.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
HM:
Alarie (Prin), Barrs (Lamar), Bell (Minn), Chennedy, Charles, Dangerfield, Dillard, Frost (CMU), Harris (Pur), Hebard, Hiedemann, Holmes (Mss St), Howard, Leslie (NCS), Mangakahia, McDonald (Az), Mompremier*, Slocum*

10/18 of HM are underclassmen (2 draft eligible), so these are the most likely contenders next year

Last edited:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
That anyone with a working cerebrum voted Gustafson and Ionescu second team is just plain nuts. < wild rant mode OFF >

Well maybe not. < further enraged rant mode back ON > I mean, what would someone have to do to make first team?

< low battery alert > Ok... now I am really going to qui < off >

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Honorable mentions:

Bella Alarie, Princeton
Chastadie Barrs, Lamar
Kenisha Bell, Minnesota
Chennedy Carter, Texas A&M
Kaila Charles, Maryland
Crystal Dangerfield, UConn
Cierra Dillard, Buffalo
Reyna Frost, Central Michigan
Ae’rianna Harris, Purdue
Ruthy Hebard, Oregon
Natisha Hiedeman, Marquette
Jazzmun Holmes, Mississippi State
Anriel Howard, Mississippi State
Kiara Leslie, N.C. State
Tiana Mangakahia, Syracuse
Aari McDonald, Arizona
Beatrice Mompremier, Miami
Destiny Slocum, Oregon State

If my math is right:
8 seniors
7 juniors (Alarie, Charles, Dangerfield, Harris, Hebard, Mangakahia, Mompremier)
3 sophomores (Carter, McDonald, Slocum)

With so many seniors on the 3 All-American teams, presumably quite a few of these 9 juniors/sophomores will be All-Americans next season.

Reaction Score
Big surprise for me is no Brianna Turner from ND on the Honorable Mention. Not saying she was heads and shoulders of those named but given the national program (ND) and the press she gets I would have figured she’d get a nod here. Maybe a case of overload of other ND players?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
That anyone with a working cerebrum voted Gustafson and Ionescu second team is just plain nuts. < wild rant mode OFF >

Well maybe not. < further enraged rant mode back ON > I mean, what would someone have to do to make first team?

and Pheesa also had 1 idiot. :mad:

Reaction Score
AP Second Team:
Arike Ogunbowale
Kalani Brown
Kristine Anigwe
Alanna Smith
Bridget Carleton.

AP Third Team:
Katie Lou Saumelson
Jessica Shepard
Jackie Young
Lauren Cox
Sophie Cunningham.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...04f086bf5d6_story.html?utm_term=.c16e748c2e47

Is it me? Or should KLS and Crystal have been named to the 2nd Team? Alanna Smith over KLS? Bridget Carleton over Crystal?

I'm usually slower with the uptake than so many here. So could someone help me with that?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Pheesa the top vote getter? That seems to be a bit of a surprise - thought Sabrina would have been the top vote getter. Does the AP also have a NPOY award?
Yes, the AP has one of the most prestigious NPOY awards. This suggests that Phee is likely a winner. Megan and Sabrina are possibles.

Reaction Score

Actually it would just take two voters to either be ticked off at these players or wanting to promote another player in their place. No one was voted in unanimously. Sabrina, for example, has always had some people not like her for one reason or another.

Reaction Score
Nice to see her headline and get the most votes. She has the been the most consistent player all year. It’s also nice to see the article acknowledge that she got snubbed on the other finalist list. With her being the classy player she is she says, “I don’t need the validation but it’s nice to be recognized.” Yes Napheesa. Much deserved.

Reaction Score
Is it me? Or should KLS and Crystal have been named to the 2nd Team? Alanna Smith over KLS? Bridget Carleton over Crystal?

I'm usually slower with the uptake than so many here. So could someone help me with that?
Carlton over KLS is silly and shows lack of knowledge & objectivity. KLS has clearly superior numbers to Durr and for those who say stats are not everything KLS is superior to Durr in intangibles and team play also.

Reaction Score
Yes, the AP has one of the most prestigious NPOY awards. This suggests that Phee is likely a winner. Megan and Sabrina are possibles.
Voting for NPOY will be different, I imagine, than voting for the AA Team, in which voters are selecting by position to some extent -- AA guards (Durr, Ionescu), AA forwards/wings (Collier, Gustafson) and AA 5 or post (McCowan). That Collier is top vote-getter suggests to me that her credentials as 1st-Team forward were beyond any doubt in the eyes of the voters. She appears at least to be in the running AP NPOY for sure.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom