Napheesa Collier becoming more comfortable -- and only getting better -- at UConn | The Boneyard

Napheesa Collier becoming more comfortable -- and only getting better -- at UConn

Reaction Score
Collier last season mostly came off the bench, and averaged 6.8 points and 5.2 rebounds, making just 2-of-13 3-point attempts. She was playing behind seniors Breanna Stewart and Morgan Tuck, and knew she'd have to wait her turn. This season, Collier has started every game and leads UConn in scoring (20.6 PPG), rebounding (9.1 RPG) and blocked shots (75). And she's made 21-of-49 3-pointers.

upload_2017-3-30_20-12-0.png

Everything coming together for UConn's Collier

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Here's a fun thing to do. Rewatch the FSU game, knowing how the season turned out. Pay attention to Doris Burke's comments. You can see where the girls came from to start the season, until now.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Here's a fun thing to do. Rewatch the FSU game, knowing how the season turned out. Pay attention to Doris Burke's comments. You can see where the girls came from to start the season, until now.
Doris setup went from Lou to Kia, didn't even mention Napheesa or Gabby. they looked ragged in that game. They really got better in a hurry.

Reaction Score
Besides leading the team in scoring, rebounds and blocks, Napheesa comes up big in the biggest games. She does so in such a consistent and quiet way that we don't remember them (and the commentators don't talk about them) like we remember and talk about Katie Lou's Maryland heroics or Gabby dominating South Carolina.

However, if you look at the games where UConn has played their toughest competition it is Napheesa who leads the team ... quietly.

In the biggest games, the 14 games UConn played against ranked teams and throw in the close (second) Temple game and add the NCAA tournament games (Fla. St., Baylor, Depaul, Texas, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Maryland, USF twice, S. Carolina, Temple, UCLA, Tulane and Oregon) Napheesa has lead the team in scoring in NINE of the 14 "biggest" games. Dangerfield (Baylor); Kia (DePaul); Katie Lou (Maryland); Sonia (USF) and Gabby (S. Carolina) each lead in scoring in one "big" game.

If you look at the rebounding leader in each of those "big" games Napheesa and Gabby split them evenly with seven games each.

When you divide the schedule and look at who leads in the toughest games ... it is Napheesa. I know scoring and rebounding are not the only important metrics in determining who wins and why, but still ....

Reaction Score
Besides leading the team in scoring, rebounds and blocks, Napheesa comes up big in the biggest games. She does so in such a consistent and quiet way that we don't remember them (and the commentators don't talk about them) like we remember and talk about Katie Lou's Maryland heroics or Gabby dominating South Carolina.

However, if you look at the games where UConn has played their toughest competition it is Napheesa who leads the team ... quietly.

In the biggest games, the 14 games UConn played against ranked teams and throw in the close (second) Temple game and add the NCAA tournament games (Fla. St., Baylor, Depaul, Texas, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Maryland, USF twice, S. Carolina, Temple, UCLA, Tulane and Oregon) Napheesa has lead the team in scoring in NINE of the 14 "biggest" games. Dangerfield (Baylor); Kia (DePaul); Katie Lou (Maryland); Sonia (USF) and Gabby (S. Carolina) each lead in scoring in one "big" game.

If you look at the rebounding leader in each of those "big" games Napheesa and Gabby split them evenly with seven games each.

When you divide the schedule and look at who leads in the toughest games ... it is Napheesa. I know scoring and rebounding are not the only important metrics in determining who wins and why, but still ....
Right, during the UCLA game I thought she had an off night. But when I looked at the stats I was shocked. I hardly noticed her. I guess they didn't either; silent but deadly.

Reaction Score
UCLA did very well against her in the post, they forced her to take many jumpers and thanks goodness she knocked them down.

Reaction Score
augustaTC, Napheesa and Gabby do compliment each other when they talk about how they like to play together.

Reaction Score
It's interesting - I loved DT (she's still my favorite) for her swagger and bravado - especially since she could back it up. But I love Collier too and she is the complete opposite of that. I enjoy her unassuming nature and smooth style of play.

Reaction Score
I made the claim in another thread that Napheesa's first four games were better statistically than any UConn player ever. UCMiami pointed out that Maya and D had some pretty incredible first two weekends, which led me to compile this.

Napheesa.png

Maya and Diana were a bit better in terms of offensive production, as evidenced by a significantly better points per fga. However, Napheesa crushes them in rebounds, turnovers and blocks.

To my mind, Napheesa's numbers are clearly better.

Bear in mind that my claim is only that Napheesa had the best first four games ever STATISTICALLY. This doesn't account for tons of stuff, like how much attention they drew from opposing defenses, quality of opponents, to what degree they "put the team on their shoulders." I would NOT claim that Napheesa had a better overall performance than Maya in 09 or D in 03. But purely based on stats I think she's a pretty clear winner.

Reaction Score
Funny excerpt from her great-aunt in Joplin, Texas. Article can be found in Nan's news links.

"We drove to Tulsa for the last two years (for American Athletic Conference games)," Cox said. "Other than that, we watched the games on TV. We're looking forward to being able to see her in competitive games live."

Bold font is from me..:p

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom