Names on unis | The Boneyard

Names on unis

Kat

Reaction Score
I was watching the game with Mercer yesterday with a friend who was not familiar with the UConn team. He kept asking me to identify a player as the announcers (CBS) would never mention who was doing what. It seemed that they were too busy telling their stories rather than provide a basic play-by-play. This has occurred more than once, the FOX Sports broadcasters would do this, too. I think it would help if the players had their names on their jerseys.

Reaction Score
I was watching the game with Mercer yesterday with a friend who was not familiar with the UConn team. He kept asking me to identify a player as the announcers (CBS) would never mention who was doing what. It seemed that they were too busy telling their stories rather than provide a basic play-by-play. This has occurred more than once, the FOX Sports broadcasters would do this, too. I think it would help if the players had their names on their jerseys.
Will never happen. UConn isn’t going to change a policy to compensate for incompetent announcers.

Kat

Reaction Score
If more people can identify them the more they can connect with the team and the players. It would help build the brand.

Reaction Score
never liked it with the yankees or giants either, dodgers tried it one season it was a total disaster.

Reaction Score
If more people can identify them the more they can connect with the team and the players. It would help build the brand.
I think the UConn brand is doing just fine without the player's names on the jerseys and fans have never had trouble connecting with the players or team before.

This is one of my favorite UConn traditions, and I think most alum will agree with it. They play for the name on the front, not for a name on the back.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
"connect with the team"? We have, undisputedly, the largest fan base in WBB. And I am not even an alumnus, just a fan of UConn WBB. Not WBB, UConn WBB.
BTW, thank you for joining it.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Can someone tell me if UConn had their names on the back before Geno and CD took over the team. I didn't pay any attention to them until AFN carried the 95 Championship game live between UConn and Tennessee.

Reaction Score
Can someone tell me if UConn had their names on the back before Geno and CD took over the team. I didn't pay any attention to them until AFN carried the 95 Championship game live between UConn and Tennessee.
To hear GA describe the facilities, offices etc. I'm not sure if they even had matching uniforms back then.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
It happened once in the Geno era and it was a mistake (Reebok maybe?) and within a week or so, the team had new unis without names.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
As to yesterday's announcers - did you hear about their babble on Aaliyah's hair color? They said she must be a Vikings fan!

Talk about not doing your research!!.

And to second or third or what ever - no names on the back of the uniforms. The only name that counts in the one on the front.

Kat

Reaction Score
Kat come on now! Are you new to UConn WBB?
Not new, I just understand marketing. You can never have enough fans, you can never have enough exposure, enough followers on social media. That's why Paige gets the Gatorade ad money. Wrong, purists?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom