N.C. State up next...are they good? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

N.C. State up next...are they good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Gosh, I remember Mimi Coillins playing for UTenn in the last century...Well, maybe last decade...

Actually, only her 6th season...but seems like an awfully long time...hope she's getting a good education

Reaction Score
Not sure how much confidence I would put in Massey right now. They have LSU ranked 26th.
I agree. A data based system needs data and at this point in the year there isn't much data to crunch.

Reaction Score
When UConn needs to it can pack their rotation down to 7-8 players and dominate any opponent. The play defense, they shouldn't have a bunch of TOs and they have several big time scorers on this team. Unless the bigs are AA level I think the matchup will favor a quicker but smaller UConn team. UConn will win big because of their talent, not because NCS is a bad team.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Gosh, I remember Mimi Coillins playing for UTenn in the last century...Well, maybe last decade...

Actually, only her 6th season...but seems like an awfully long time...hope she's getting a good education
Education? I`m assuming she has tenure at this point.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
When UConn needs to it can pack their rotation down to 7-8 players and dominate any opponent. The play defense, they shouldn't have a bunch of TOs and they have several big time scorers on this team. Unless the bigs are AA level I think the matchup will favor a quicker but smaller UConn team. UConn will win big because of their talent, not because NCS is a bad team.
With this years team, Geno has scoring on the bench so a drop off is not as imminent. KK was first off the bench on Wed, then Aubrey, then Ice, then Ashlynn and then Samuels. So I definitely see at least 8 or 9 given their scoring abilities with Ashlyn possibly being odd person out but even then, I was impressed with all the little things she did. What I don't know is if Ayanna has developed an offensive game that would force her into the rotation. I just can't see any numbers less then 8 even in the marquee matchups like SC or UCLA which frankly is a great issue to have!

Reaction Score
After the thrilling double overtime game in the 2022 elite eight I was surprised at how easily we won last year at XL.

They lost four starters from last year including Boyd, Brown-Turner, and Diamond Johnson. They added two freshman guards who were highly rated and they come off the bench. Don’t appear to have added through the portal.

River Baldwin is huge but they appear to be a guard oriented team.

From what I saw in the game at XL last year Edwards should have a big game and we should be able to hold our own inside. Even with Dorka out we were able to control the paint last year.

Then the question is whose stable of guards plays better.

I would not bet against UConn in that regard. Azzi went for 32 last year, and Nika had a record setting 15 assists. Aubrey had 16. And of course we added a couple of other guards who play pretty well.

I would expect a 15-20 point victory in the 93-75 range.
Good assessment. While I predict a similar score, suspect the game will be close until UConn pulls away the last 5-8 minutes. Their offense relies on their guards/wings so anticipate we see NIka, KK, and Aurbrey play extended minutes and provide shut down defense. While their bigs are just average, this will be an interesting game to see how Huskies manage our Big's fouls and keep NC State's size off the boards.

Reaction Score
I think our fine @LETTERL NC State fan said it all with "no comment". But for the uninitiated, let me offer my two cents- River Baldwin? come on, she did nothing for all those years at Florida State, Mimi Collins? Nice role player at Tennessee and Maryland but threat at NC State, not hardly. There is a reason that the Wolfpack are not ranked this year, they are not good. The ACC preseason poll has NC State 8th.....Nuf ced....
Regardless of all this, UConn must/should not overlook any opponent.

Reaction Score
Their two 6'5" bigs are experienced grad students that split time & they have a notable 6'3" freshman center who played 10 minutes.
I'd expect some fouling by bigs on both teams.
The two 6'5" big's got ZERO points against UNC Charlotte.

Reaction Score
I consider all teams "good" until you actually face them on the court. NC State is no different. They are good in my eyes.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As of today, Massey is showing UConn as #3 and NC State as #8, and predicts a two-point UConn victory, 68-66. File this under "Things That Make You Go 'Hmmmm....'"
Massey's early season analysis usually looks pretty sketchy. Not enough data.

sun

Reaction Score
The two 6'5" big's got ZERO points against UNC Charlotte.
Right, but their 3 center/bigs had 13 RB's & 6 blocks between them.
NC State had 10 blocks total while UConn totaled 6 blocks against Dayton (2 by Amari).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure how much confidence I would put in Massey right now. They have LSU ranked 26th.
One should put very little weight on Massey now. Much of the data used at this point is last year´s results. So it not useless, but it is only helpful to the extent that the teams are similar to last year. I belive it takes about 10 games before he can drop teh prio year results.

Reaction Score
One of the best defenses against bigs is to wear them down early by playing up tempo and perhaps pressing. That way they don't have as much opportunity to set up shop in the paint. Our bench is incredibly athletic and we can sustain a game long uptempo if circumstances called for it. No worries.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn will overwhelm NC State. UConn has too many weapons and keeps coming at you. I don’t think NCS has the defense to slow UConn down. UConn by 25+. The key all season will be keeping Edwards and Ice out of foul trouble. With that said there will be guard help when the ball goes down low. Expect NCS to try to slow it down which will be hard unless they can get a big lead and I don’t see that happening.UConn has too much more talent

Reaction Score
Right, but their 3 center/bigs had 13 RB's & 6 blocks between them.
NC State had 10 blocks total while UConn totaled 6 blocks against Dayton (2 by Amari).
The team that scores the most points wins 100% of the time not the team with the most blocks.

Reaction Score
One should put very little weight on Massey now. Much of the data used at this point is last year´s results. So it not useless, but it is only helpful to the extent that the teams are similar to last year. I belive it takes about 10 games before he can drop teh prio year results.

Massey starts with a weighted average of the past three seasons. That is why NCS is ranked so high, since their final rankings the past three years were 19th, 3rd, and 10th.

Reaction Score
A

Are you expecting me to disagree? You just quoted my comment about how the Wolfpack was going to lose. I’m pretty sure 25 points is a conservative estimate of the MoV. Convince ME I’m wrong. You can’t.
I will shut up now and keep my jinxing thoughts to myself.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
They are ranked something like 43 and they have 6 freshmen in their 13 player roster. If Uconn has a problem with them, may as well cancel the season.
Oh My God Wow GIF

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
They are ranked something like 43 and they have 6 freshmen in their 13 player roster. If Uconn has a problem with them, may as well cancel the season.
I need a fork and a napkin, so I can eat my words. But......Will we bounce back?

Reaction Score
UCONN by 25 or more. Even if they are good they are going up against a hungry team of monsters. These women are the best team this year and they are hungry. I see another very special year. Convince me I am wring. You can't.
Can’t is a bad word to throw around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog