Myles Powell suing Seton Hall | The Boneyard

Myles Powell suing Seton Hall

Reaction Score
"He appeared in 13 games for Westchester last season, averaging 17.8 points and 3.8 assists and 3.4 rebounds per game while shooting 44 percent from 3-point range."

yet he claims it was a career ending injury?

Reaction Score
Yeah, Seton Hall didnt make him a 6’ shooting guard with average athleticism
The filing looks like it was written by a little kid. He was a surefire lottery pick before he had a career ending injury, what?!?? Tony Testa isn't even the team physician and he's not an MD.

There's no way WIllard knowingly played him hiding his injury. Powell is a legend at Seton Hall and was as close with Willard as any player coach relationship you'll see. He just took a flamethrower to it all.

Reaction Score
What I don't get from reading this and other articles out there is whether it was a missed diagnosis or whether Seton Hall knew about the tear and had him play anyway. To me that would determine if it was malpractice on the physician's part or if the coach et al are responsible. I'm also not sure how he proves that his career would have taken a different track if he hadn't played on it.
I would also think the fact he has played in the league the insurance policy (if ever taken out) is negated.
Will be interesting to see more facts come out, but definately not what Seton Hall wants to be in the news for.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What I don't get from reading this and other articles out there is whether it was a missed diagnosis or whether Seton Hall knew about the tear and had him play anyway. To me that would determine if it was malpractice on the physician's part or if the coach et al are responsible. I'm also not sure how he proves that his career would have taken a different track if he hadn't played on it.
I would also think the fact he has played in the league the insurance policy (if ever taken out) is negated.
Will be interesting to see more facts come out, but definately not what Seton Hall wants to be in the news for.
Powell's Complaint

See the link above if you are curious Kathy. Basically they are alleging both that "Dr. Testa" missed the correct diagnosis and that he knew and both he and Willard willfully withheld the information. FWIW, Tony Testa is Seton's Director of Sports Medicine, he is not a doctor. Tony Festa is one of the team physicians. He is an orthopedic surgeon. He seems well respected but given that he did his undergrad at Boston College, he is immediately suspect.

Reaction Score
Powell's argument is flawed. He's arguing that the torn meniscus should have ended his senior season. However, he's also arguing that since he played so well his senior season, he was going to get drafted. Without his stellar senior season, Powell likely wouldn't have been drafted anyway. You could argue that playing hurt gave him his best chance at being drafted. Maybe SHU will settle to make it go away, but this is a losing argument by Powell.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Powell can't accept that he wasn't good enough for the NBA or that there's incredible opportunities to play internationally. He needs to talk to some guys who played overseas- if you can get with a legit club, you make a killing and see the world.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Powell's argument is flawed. He's arguing that the torn meniscus should have ended his senior season. However, he's also arguing that since he played so well his senior season, he was going to get drafted. Without his stellar senior season, Powell likely wouldn't have been drafted anyway. You could argue that playing hurt gave him his best chance at being drafted. Maybe SHU will settle to make it go away, but this is a losing argument by Powell.
Personally, I find the argument that NBA scouts and management somehow 'secretly' found out 1) that he was injured, 2) the nature and extent of that undiagnosed injury and 3) that but for this supposed knowledge he would have been a lottery pick as the most tortured part of the complaint. That's a whole lot of stuff to prove.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yeah, Seton Hall didnt make him a 6’ shooting guard with average athleticism
With many above average performances
You could tell there were times when he looked to be in pain and really not 100% his last year at the Hall
If people were hiding things I hope he makes a killing but it is his body and you would think he would have had some inkling that something wasn't right and if he wanted he could have sought outside evaluation/opinion.
Hard to say at this point and I am in agreement with Quincy McKnight

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't think it is a good case, but I am surprised there are not more of these lawsuits. There are thousands of student athletes playing sports and some of them have to be getting sketchy medical advice.

Reaction Score
You could tell there were times when he looked to be in pain and really not 100% his last year at the Hall
If people were hiding things I hope he makes a killing but it is his body and you would think he would have had some inkling that something wasn't right and if he wanted he could have sought outside evaluation/opinion.
FIFY, if you are really in agreement with Quincy McKnight :)

Reaction Score
All I’m saying is he didn’t have a draftable physical profile. There are tons of prolific scorers who are undersized for the NBA.

Reaction Score
It’s interesting how this came About after a season in the G league didn’t get him a league contract.....

Reaction Score
I think a lot of people are missing the point that he is claiming they were negligent with his injuries, which is very messed up if true.

I agree what people are saying about his NBA career, but I just wouldn’t be so quick to say Myles Powell is in the wrong here when none of us know what actually happened inside of the program.

Edit: I’m not saying I think Seton Hall/Willard and co are in the wrong here either. I’m just saying we really don’t know what actually happened. HOWEVER, it is horrible PR for them.

Reaction Score
This thread with everyone piling on Powell and saying he's just pissed because he wasn't good enough for the NBA is exactly what's wrong with college basketball and football fandom.
There have been 3 Seniors taken in the lottery since 2015 Kaminsky, Cam Johnson & Tauren Prince.
Miles is an undersized 2 Guard who anyone here would have taken in a heartbeat. It’s not bashing the guy though to say his NBA draft Lotto dreams are far fetched.

The fact that people interpret people saying someone’s one of the greatest college players in their schools history, just maybe not an NBA fit & automatically assume that to be a diss is also what’s wrong with athletics today. Miles as received tons of roses, just maybe not the ones he wanted.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of when this high school quaterback in Texas was made to play through injuries all the time and got shot up with pain killers before games. Had a scholarship to play at FSU but blew out his knee after his hungover lineman missed a block. Coach tried to make him play through it, but luckily his teammates stepped in to stop it. Ended up being a big thing and the players ran the coach out of town. Star QB lost his scholarship because of the injury, but ended up coaching.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of people are missing the point that he is claiming they were negligent with his injuries, which is very messed up if true.

I agree what people are saying about his NBA career, but I just wouldn’t be so quick to say Myles Powell is in the wrong here when none of us know what actually happened inside of the program.
Nah, that’s definitely messed up. I just look at is as duties owed, duties breached, resulting damages.
If 1 & 2 are true, it’s EXTREMELY unfortunate. But he’s drastically over exaggerating what it cost him IMO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom