My Top 15 Teams Next Season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

My Top 15 Teams Next Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Foul spelling? Everyone make a typo error here and there. You Sound like spelling bee perfect chimp or something. Real weak man.

Son. Go somewhere with BS.

The typo thing is really lame. Why not admit it - you can't spell grammar. :p

BTW I'm not your son and I'm not a chimp but I do appreciate the name calling. It says a lot about you. Real weak man.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
UConn remains #1 until beaten. I'd also think Texas would be higher. I thought they gave the team the most competition of the tournament; if not the season (other than ND of course).

And it is sad to say, but Texas will upgrade at the post position with Boyette leaving and Holmes coming in. It will be interesting to see how much playing time Sutton gets as McCarty establishing herself as the PG this past season.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As much as it pains me to say it, barring injury, ND will be the team beat. Their roster is stacked, as well as balanced and their staff can coach.
It really isn't balanced - they are very short - literally! But what I really mean to say is they have great guards and wings and a lot of them, but forwards and posts is pretty thin. They look almost like a DePaul or KY type lineup - built for speed and five out offense or four out with Turner in.

Reaction Score
It really isn't balanced - they are very short - literally! But what I really mean to say is they have great guards and wings and a lot of them, but forwards and posts is pretty thin. They look almost like a DePaul or KY type lineup - built for speed and five out offense or four out with Turner in.
Turner's year was a little strange. At one point, I seem to remember her considering being red-shirted for shoulder surgery, and then she decided to play through it. Any news on how it's been?

Reaction Score
Perhap not perfectly balanced, but Turner is a force inside and Westbeld isn't chopped liver. Plus, they have a collection of guards and wings that are no joke.

In my amateur opinion, they are the most talented roster and the team to beat.

Reaction Score
Turner's year was a little strange. At one point, I seem to remember her considering being red-shirted for shoulder surgery, and then she decided to play through it. Any news on how it's been?

I am not sure whether her shoulder was a factor all year but Turner did not impress me last year. She runs the floor well and is a good rebounder but she is pretty one dimensional on offense and scores the majority of her points on put backs and gimmes.

Reaction Score
Wow... this supposition here is as if we are destitute.... on the freeway offramp asking for food and respect.....

I do not know where we should be in the pantheon..... but I do not think we are out of the top 3..... Baylor is given a lot of credit here..... but this yr's version could't get past Oregon State.... not exactly a juggernaut, though a good team.... Notre Dame I will never argue with because of Muffet and her staff..... Maryland? Ranked so high on the basis of what? Yes they do have the top recruiting class..... when will people figure out that freshmen make little difference on a program unless they are out of this world..... remember our "Big 3" when they were freshmen? And South Carolina.... yes an all star roster.... but where is the guard play?

As for UConn, even with the giant losses..... we still have a lineup of Collier, Samuelson, Williams, Nurse, and prob Chong..... that is pretty formidable.... I see us as being in top 3, based on coaching and related improvement in players.... and being unaffected by the hype that surrounds the other top teams.....

Reaction Score
And Good Lord, putting Tennessee in top 10? They just got a 3 star post recruit.... but coming off 14 losses and 1 marginal recruit, and a coach who does not know at all how to be a head coach (sorry UT friends).... how are they going to be top 10.....??? Diamond good at 1 on 1 ball, but also good at turnovers (see the stats this year)..... I think for Orange Nation.... #15 at best....

Reaction Score
And Good Lord, putting Tennessee in top 10? They just got a 3 star post recruit.... but coming off 14 losses and 1 marginal recruit, and a coach who does not know at all how to be a head coach (sorry UT friends).... how are they going to be top 10.....??? Diamond good at 1 on 1 ball, but also good at turnovers (see the stats this year)..... I think for Orange Nation.... #15 at best....

The thing with Tennessee to me personally is their body of work during the tournament.

To be honest I had Tennessee bowing out in the second or maybe sweet 16 based on their regular season play. However, they proved many of us wrong.

This team's past regular season failures will motivate them to play much better regardless of the lack of talent coming in. The talent is there for sure. And depending on the coaching the unexpected is yet to be determine.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
She had shoulder surgery a couple of days ago. Will be out 4-6 months.

Reaction Score
South Carolina has two players who rode the bench this year due to transfer. Two players who are much better than the ones who just departed. Let me say again....(1) is A Former Top 5, ranked #3 in her class, and the other who transfered from NC is a Top 10, #7 or 8th overall in her class.

South Carolina will improve because their frontcourt will mature and get better. I'm not as confident about their backcourt. SC is losing a 2x SEC Player of the year and their (flawed but experienced) starting PG of the past 3 years. Hopefully the two new players can provide outside shooting and I am very hopeful that Bianca Cuevas will step in admirably but there is a huge question around the backcourt.

Reaction Score

kinda sounds like another team we know and love.........................

Reaction Score
Have you gone through the teams? I can't come up with more than 11, maybe 12 I'd put ahead of them.

Any of those 15 schools listed are much better than Alabama, LSU, Va Tech, all of whom beat Tennessee..... and now Tennessee has virtually no recruits coming in and same coaching staff as well....

Reaction Score
The thing with Tennessee to me personally is their body of work during the tournament.

To be honest I had Tennessee bowing out in the second or maybe sweet 16 based on their regular season play. However, they proved many of us wrong.

This team's past regular season failures will motivate them to play much better regardless of the lack of talent coming in. The talent is there for sure. And depending on the coaching the unexpected is yet to be determine.

Yes, the LVs did come alive for a short spell in the tournament..... but beating Green Bay, then beating AZ State (highly overrated #2 seed), beating undermanned Ohio State, and giving up 89 points to Syracuse is not my idea of sterling performance in tournament.... I agree they have amazing talent if they could harness it..... I am not busting on Tennessee, just not impressed with their work, even in the NCAAs.... but here is the other factor.... WCBB is not that tough, so after the top 3 or 4, the rest of the top 25 is not exactly Murderers Row.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Tennessee's finish is indicative of chemistry issues that were resolved. Provided the chemistry is there, they are a top 5 team. Giving up 89 points to Syracuse was largely due to having 2 key players with broken hands and the starting point guard out to injury. When you are down to playing guards that average less than 5 minutes per game in the Elite 8, it's easy to see where the trouble lies.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I am not sure whether her shoulder was a factor all year but Turner did not impress me last year. She runs the floor well and is a good rebounder but she is pretty one dimensional on offense and scores the majority of her points on put backs and gimmes.

She has played with 1.5 arms for most of her time at ND after suffering shoulder injuries in the non-conference schedule both years. I give her credit - no one would have blamed her for shutting it down after the 2nd injury and preserving another year of eligibility, but she knew the team was screwed without her and fought through it.

I am looking forward to seeing her 100% next year. Unfortunately, spending the summer rehabbing won't allow her to work on her game and add the 15 ft. and in jumper that would round her offensive game out. We might not really see her best until her senior year.

Reaction Score
If Kim can get Jones under control handling the ball as a point guard instead of a #2, then we'll be good to go vs. anybody (we will look somewhat like Sims' senior year when our point guard was also our leading scorer--not a typical offense).

If we CAN'T sell Jones on being a point guard (and I'm not convinced yet she has the mentality or the composure to be one, then we'll struggle and our offense will be "iffy" every night.

Either that, or convince Chou as an incoming first year to completely flip her game from a shooting #2 to a raw point and learn on the job, hoping to be ready by January. Those are our only two options at Point. Other than that, we should be elite (again) or in Dallas for FFour.

Reaction Score
If Kim can get Jones under control handling the ball as a point guard instead of a #2, then we'll be good to go vs. anybody (we will look somewhat like Sims' senior year when our point guard was also our leading scorer--not a typical offense).

If we CAN'T sell Jones on being a point guard (and I'm not convinced yet she has the mentality or the composure to be one, then we'll struggle and our offense will be "iffy" every night.

Either that, or convince Chou as an incoming first year to completely flip her game from a shooting #2 to a raw point and learn on the job, hoping to be ready by January. Those are our only two options at Point. Other than that, we should be elite (again) or in Dallas for FFour.

You should be there Baylorprof.... of course after Head Coach, PG the most important spot on WCBB team.... Kim does a good job, so your analysis on Jones a good one.... my guess is that she will do you well and your team should be fine..... your roster next year is excellent

Reaction Score
From my point of view, these are "start of season" guestimates. I figure UConn starts at 7 or 8 and then loses a game or two during the season to one of the better programs (Notre Dame, So. Carolina, whichever) then ends the season at 3 or 4, gets a #1 seed and gets to the FF. Seeing what happened to the other #1 seeds this year, UConn could well be the favorite at that point to win the NC. And their coach(es) will have them better prepared than any other team in the country. Next year will be way fun. Not much to lose and lots to gain.

Yes, you just can't lose three first-team AA's and assume that you deserve to begin the season ranked #1. Doesn't work that way. I'll go with #7 or #8 and see how the team develops. No way that Connecticut will begin ranked first in anyone's Top 25 in October.

I really hope that Coach Geno enjoys the next season, and really gets invigorated by the need for actual coaching during the game. He hasn't needed to do that for the past three years!

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I know some Baylor fans believe that Mulkey walks on water, but to think she can just "convince" Natalie Chou to "completely flip" her game from SG/SF to PG is just crazy; don't believe she played PG at Plano West. Honestly, even though it was just an All-Star game, Natalie Chou just got lost at the McDonald's game a few weeks ago. At Baylor next season, she will have a hard time getting minutes behind Kristy Wallace, Alexis Prince, and Calveion Landrum. Probably gonna be a SF in college as she just does not seem to have the speed or athleticism to go guard other team's shooting guards.

Landrum did play PG in high school, and I have always been very high on her skills; she may be unknown to some folks, but she is the one I see getting the most playing time next season above Chou. Being 6'0, athletic, quick, and having every shot in the book will work out well for her.

Reaction Score
Southie,

If the Landrum lady in our own backyard can grow up quickly, your idea fits in well with Kim's options. Given the level of competition, I'm not convinced a raw Landrum would be as good as a misplaced Chou. Chou has said she wants to play the #2, but she is willing to learn the point. SOMEBODY has been whispering in her ear that might be a real possibility. Maybe just some local yokel who doesn't know. My bet is Kim has put that out there to her just to see how she responds emotionally.

But bottom, bottom line. We have NO experience at point coming back next year except for a few serviceable moments when Wallace stepped in, but that didn't look very clean and sharp, so whatever we end up with, hopefully they will grow up VERY quickly.

[Thanks to the Boneyarders for letting two Texians talk about Big 12 stuff on your board.]

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Well, I guess there's always a chance for a position change in college. But, most don't transition very quickly. Guess it just depends on a players abilities, desire and work ethic. Will be interesting to see how both Landrum and Chou do next season and in their careers at Baylor; my money is still on Landrum; I also see her as the much better defensive player, and some coaches like to reward those players who want to play defense and excel at it.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Well, I guess there's always a chance for a position change in college. But, most don't transition very quickly. Guess it just depends on a players abilities, desire and work ethic. Will be interesting to see how both Landrum and Chou do next season and in their careers at Baylor; my money is still on Landrum; I also see her as the much better defensive player, and some coaches like to reward those players who want to play defense and excel at it.

I think you are right about Landrum. She was ranked 10th in her class when she initially signed with Baylor and then for some reason dropped to 40ish, but she is now back up to 18th and ranked as the 5th best PG in the 2016 class. Some expressed skepticism concerning her abilities and the reports that she was highly athletic and an offensive threat since she was only ranked in the 40s but now that she is ranked 18th I am guessing more will be expected of her. She has nice size at 5-10 and is known to be a tremendous on-ball defender. I am extremely excited to see her in a Baylor uniform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom