My thoughts on the remaining 2023 recruits. | The Boneyard

My thoughts on the remaining 2023 recruits.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
@Carnac your thought on above?
I watched the entire replay of the CIF (California Interschlolastic Federation) open division championship game between 27-0 Etiwanda (#2 nationally), and #8 nationally ranked Sierra Canyon ( 26-1) this past Saturday.

Juju Watkins was by far the best player on the floor, and lived up to all of the media hype. I was very impressed with her. She can do it all. Shoot, drive, make free throws and plays defense. You can tell she has a very hi BB IQ. The biggest game of the year for her team was not too big for her. I believe she had 20 points in the first half.

Etiwanda could not stop her. If she doesn't foul out with 3 minutes left in the game, I don’t think they lose 69-57. Watkins is going to be a standout player and will be a great get for whoever is lucky enough to recruit her. I can see her leaning towards Arizona, but she is on the radar of several D-1 schools.

I think Toomey is “smitten” with UConn and unfortunately I see South Carolina snagging Williams, but as you suggest, LSU is a possibility. She definitely has the potential to play for a P5 program.

Reaction Score
I think Toomey is “smitten” with UConn and unfortunately I see South Carolina snagging Williams, but as you suggest, LSU is a possibility. She definitely has the potential to play for a P5 program.
I’d honestly be shocked if she chooses anyone but Mulkey and LSU. I do hope Connecticut is still on her radar, though.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I watched the entire replay of the CIF (California Interschlolastic Federation) open division championship game between 27-0 Etiwanda (#2 nationally), and #8 nationally ranked Sierra Canyon ( 26-1) this past Saturday.

Juju Watkins was by far the best player on the floor, and lived up to all of the media hype. I was very impressed with her. She can do it all. Shoot, drive, make free throws and plays defense. You can tell she has a very hi BB IQ. The biggest game of the year for her team was not too big for her. I believe she had 20 points in the first half.

Etiwanda could not stop her. If she doesn't foul out with 3 minutes left in the game, I don’t think they lose 69-57. Watkins is going to be a standout player and will be a great get for whoever is lucky enough to recruit her. I can see her leaning towards Arizona, but she is on the radar of several D-1 schools.

I watched that Etiwanda game also Carnac. I enjoyed it. As far as Williams is concerned, you say she has the potential to play for a P5 program. I have heard she is as talented as M. Moore of UConn fame. Coco seems to think she is the player UConn should get.

Reaction Score
I watched that Etiwanda game also Carnac. I enjoyed it. As far as Williams is concerned, you say she has the potential to play for a P5 program. I have heard she is as talented as M. Moore of UConn fame. Coco seems to think she is the player UConn should get.
good enough to plain in a P5 program? I'd say that's a bit of an understatement...............I'd say she's a year or two in college away from being good enough to play in the WNBA......;)

Reaction Score
I’d honestly be shocked if she chooses anyone but Mulkey and LSU. I do hope Connecticut is still on her radar, though.
Mikaylah and her mom have been on the Coach Yo (Ole Miss) wagon for a while now, not sure how it will end. She has been to LSU a bunch this season but has kept her recruitment on the down low.

Reaction Score
I would be too. I have to believe Mulkey is selling her and her family on the home state, face of the program thing and it will be tough to pass it up.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Mulkey and Staley have a certain “charm” that makes 18 year olds in high school want to play for them. If Mulkey didn't have difficulty getting them to go Baylor, she certainly won't at LSU. The fact that LSU has become a top 10 team, won’t hurt either.

The fact that LSU is currently ranked 6th in Mulkey’s first year at the helm does not surprise me. Wait until next year when she gets more of “her” players in and is able to graduate or purge more of Nikki Fargas’ players. Top 5 all year for sure.

I would like UConn to begin a relationship with Mulkey and LSU similar to that they have with Notre Dame and South Carolina. I’d like them to become a regular on our OOC schedule every year. The nation networks would all love to carry that game.

Reaction Score
I would be too. I have to believe Mulkey is selling her and her family on the home state, face of the program thing and it will be tough to pass it up.
Flau’jae Johnson (‘22) could definitely bring in a lot of recruits with her popularity as well. I’m eager to see what Kim can build in the next few years.

Reaction Score
Mulkey would be one of the last coaches I would want to play for but you know she is doing everything imaginable to land Williams, the hometown girl. Which makes me think that possibly she knows something we don't. Some players want to play at home. Maybe William's parents would have difficulty getting to uconn games and possibly that is a factor. From observing Williams though I think she would be well advised to consider Uconn. She would be well positioned for sponsorship money beyond anything she could get at LSU and going to the pros is in her sights. I also think she fits the profile Uconn is looking for. She seems to be a well adjusted good kid that would fit right in. She's in a position to maybe be the deciding factor in who wins the NC depending upon which school she choses but that choice is a whole lot more secure at Uconn and, at minimum, she will get more publicity at Uconn than any other school. PR is where it's at when you talk contract and endorsement money. Paige is worth a lot as a player but her 1 million plus social media audience is a big part of her sponsorship value. Prospects going to Uconn get connections as well as pro level training and exposure. With a lot of teams they get one out of 3.

Reaction Score
Mulkey and Staley have a certain “charm” that makes 18 year olds in high school want to play for them. If Mulkey didn't have difficulty getting them to go Baylor, she certainly won't at LSU. The fact that LSU has become a top 10 team, won’t hurt either.

The fact that LSU is currently ranked 6th in Mulkey’s first year at the helm does not surprise me. Wait until next year when she gets more of “her” players in and is able to graduate or purge more of Nikki Fargas’ players. Top 5 all year for sure.

I would like UConn to begin a relationship with Mulkey and LSU similar to that they have with Notre Dame and South Carolina. I’d like them to become a regular on our OOC schedule every year. The nation networks would all love to carry that game.
Mulkey has praised consistently praised Fargas for recruiting top talent, thus enabling her to win right away. I seriously doubt she needs to purge anyone.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Mikayla Williams LSU
JuJu Watkins USC/ Arizona
Ciera Toomey (C) UConn (please God and baby Jesus!)
Breya Cunningham Oregon
Madison Booker Ole Miss/Tenn
Malaysia Fulwiley South Carolina.

Arnold, Shade and Toomey for 2023 sounds good to me!
I'm probably a little more greedy & think UCONN needs to also snag one of the very talented wings in the class from among Watkins, M. Williams, Kitts, Prosper or S.Williams or Booker.

Reaction Score
Mulkey has praised consistently praised Fargas for recruiting top talent, thus enabling her to win right away. I seriously doubt she needs to purge anyone.
Recruiting top talent? LOL. I think Kim was trying to be respectful and show appreciation that Nikki left three super seniors before leaving. The team Kim inherited is not very talented outside of Pointer and maybe Aifuwa. The seniors coming back were definitely vital but so was adding Alexis Morris and Autumn Newby. Morris is giving LSU an additional 15 to 20 PPG they didn’t have last year. But for what they don’t have talent wise they make up with experience. It’s a group of kids who play hard, together and well coached. This season has showed me how much Fargas dropped the ball in a lot of areas as a coach. From 9 wins to 25 wins tells a lot…

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I could see Mikayla Williams going to LSU… she follows Kim Mulkey and likes a lot of her videos and posts.

But I just saw via her Instagram her in a jersey at OLE MISS so it appears she is still taking visits.

These days with these kids nothing is finalized until they arrive on campus. Let’s keep our fingers crossed

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Question is does SHE want UConn? I want them all!
As I told my sales folks the answer is always no unless you ask for the business. If you ask and you get a no then you can request why not? What are the objections? Then begin to show why each objection is a misconception or misunderstanding. Evina asked Geno why he never tried to recruit her. He said because he didn't think he could get her. Duh! I understand not going after business that has a low probability of being acquired. BUT find out first. Don't just A.S.S.U.M.E!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As I told my sales folks the answer is always no unless you ask for the business. If you ask and you get a no then you can request why not? What are the objections? Then begin to show why each objection is a misconception or misunderstanding. Evina asked Geno why he never tried to recruit her. He said because he didn't think he could get her. Duh! I understand not going after business that has a low probability of being acquired. BUT find out first. Don't just A.S.S.U.M.E!
Geno went to see Williams play at the start of the HS season. Geno has asked the question.

Reaction Score
At some point after the recruiting season, would be interesting to see who our members view as the top recruiters in women's basketball. I have always given UConn's assistants a great deal of credit for getting such powerful classes. Fargas a good example of one of the best out there.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Dude! Mikayla Williams is the one you want at UCONN,
Agreed!!! But what are the chances of landing her? Of course, we “want” her. That's a no-brainer. We wanted Kiki Rice, Aliyah Boson and Haley Smith too. Williams would be a significant upgrade to our roster. I’d rather play with her than against her.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Random fact, but if Williams decides to go somewhere besides UCONN, it'll be the first time since 2013/2014 that UCONN has missed out on #1 recruits in back to back years.

My guess on where kids will land:
Mikayla Williams-LSU or South Carolina
JuJu Watkins-no idea. Has she announced any finalists?
Ciera Toomey-UCONN
Breya Cunningham-Oregon or UCLA
Madison Booker-Louisville
Malaysia Fulwiley-South Carolina.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member