My theory how Monday's game will play out | The Boneyard

My theory how Monday's game will play out

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Collier & Williams will have their way inside, big time. Pheesa will end up with a monster game. The quackers will make some adjustments to compensate and then the open threes will rain in. It won't be pretty (for them). The good guys by 30 or more. The Geno won't tolerate another sloppy game.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Watching the Duck against MD was tuff. They run the clock down and work for a good shot. They take alot of time off the clock. MD spent alot of time standing around...just standing. Running around after the Ducks dribbleing guards wears you out. Then the defense breaks down and they score. With the lead and the Ducks playing so slow and deliberate makes playing them tuff. MD appeared to speed up the game only to have the Ducks slow it down. The Ducks with a lead makes it very difficult to play against.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Watching the Duck against MD was tuff. They run the clock down and work for a good shot. They take alot of time off the clock. MD spent alot of time standing around...just standing. Running around after the Ducks dribbleing guards wears you out. Then the defense breaks down and they score. With the lead and the Ducks playing so slow and deliberate makes playing them tuff. MD appeared to speed up the game only to have the Ducks slow it down. The Ducks with a lead makes it very difficult to play against.

Yikes...a somewhat negative post from Tony. He must be quacking up, or at least trying to duck a prediction.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score

The biggest take away from their game yesterday, for me anyway, was they have no clue how to box out. MD was only partially able to capitalize on that. We won't miss that opportunity.
My feeling is, by the end of the 3rd qrtr they won't be running so fast.[/QUOTE]

Reaction Score
Oregon will come out and try to dominate tempo by slowing it down. That said, if UConn executes its half court offense in the 1st five minutes this game will get ugly for Oregon quick.

Oregon feeds on frustrating the other team defensively while playing a disciplined offense which forces the opposition to defend for a full 30 seconds. Oregon's style is perfect if they get a lead or even if the game is close. But if UConn scores often and early Oregon won't be able to play "slow ball" and their style of offense is not designed for a come behind victory.

UConn ain't Maryland and my guess is Kia/Chong get it going early. Its pick your poison with UConn but I'd expect Kia/Chong to get less defensive attention. Maryland looked impatient and tried to force things as proven by the number of turnovers....UConn moves the ball too well and will find the open player and all 5 Huskies can score if not well defended.

I'm picking UConn by 20+.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Didn't SC try to do the same thing against UConn? The issue Oregon will find is UConn's passing is significantly better than anyone they have seen and they can guard the perimeter better than anyone they have seen. They are a good, young and up and coming team who appears to have arrived, however the clock strikes 12 and the carriage turns back into a pumpkin and the gown back into a house dress. Have a nice flight back and enjoy your accomplishments. I look forward to the Oregon Asst coach ripping off this Ducks staff shirt revealing the next slogan of "Wait until Next year for us Ducks!"

Reaction Score
Huh, is that really you Tony?

Reaction Score
Here's the thing: I don't think this will happen, but if UConn has another off day and if they commit the stupidities that were te hallmark of their second half against UCLA, the Oregon game could be incredibly frustrating. Why? Tony nailed it. Oregon, coached by an extremely competent coach, plays disciplined basketball in spite of all those freshmen. That discipline means they will take their time, chew up the clock and make life miserable for any team that lets them play their game. In UConn-Oregon, it is truly a case that Oregon dramatically increases its chance of winning if they can dictate the tempo.

Reaction Score
Most of these comments sound very reasonable. And I won't pretend to be familiar with the ducks' game. But they are in the elite eight now, so they must be doing something right. This makes them every bit as Competitive as the other seven teams left. If one of those other seven teams does not perform well, then they can be beaten. That goes for UConn. But to not perform well for UConn means not hitting shots, getting into foul trouble, and that's pretty much it. We know how to play championship defense. We know how to score, and have been doing it all year. It is difficult to believe that at the end of the day Oregon will outscore UConn. It'll be fun to watch them try. Looking forward to a great game!

Reaction Score
Great post Connie. At this time of the year, in this tournament, seeding and records don't mean a thing. Oregon is playing loose and playing well at the right time. That's why they are here and other higher seeds went home. The Ducks also have a fantastic guard. It's going to be tough and hopefully great game for UConn.

Reaction Score
Go at them from the jump with full court man to man pressure and see how the Ducks handle that for 5-6 minutes. Get up 10-12 pts. and then just grind them and see how they play from behind.

Reaction Score
The key is that Oregon DRIBBLES the ball around for 20 to 25 seconds before shooting. Their PASSING was almost non-existant until late in the shot clock. I predict that our guards are going to have an awesome night -- seven or more steals that lead to layups at the other end. Oregon is the team that is going to get tired out chasing our fast breaks in the other direction. Geno will also make certain that the three point shots from the corner are well covered. UConn wins by 20 or more points.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Oregon is Villanova with the exception they have Post Players. The key to this game is not to let Oregon to get out to a 6 plus point lead. Grab the lead build it to double digits and force Oregon out of the slow down play. Maryland was unable to get Oregon out of their style of play, because Oregon had the lead.

Reaction Score
" I'll tell you this, Oregon's for real," Frese said. "[They] really punished us in terms of any mistakes, any breakdowns that we would have."

we will see- this is from the Coach who also said she will not let one game define her season. She came up short again, despite having two WNBA bound seniors

Reaction Score
I have no less confidence than I had a few days ago. I find it hard to believe that starting 3 freshman Oregon can either defend or score at the huskies pace. Right now huskies are featuring 5 scorers in the lineup, 3 of them destined for AA status. Yeah , Ducks will try to take air out of ball , to some degree, but they dribble way too much. Not a great recipe against uconn. Ducks are also not ready for husky quality switch defense. Since everyone always worries about depth, let's bring up, that Oregon will go 6 max in this game. So, if even one of those freshman is in a funk, there'no one to go to. One thing we do know is since Oregon is not deep, this will be a very physical game. I think huskies by 22 is about right .

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
First, I don't think we will come out slow as we did on Saturday. Several of the players mentioned that slow start after the game.

Second, I expect pressure from our guards right from the start. Get the turnovers going in our favor. Get the running game going.

In the set offense, work the ball quickly and get it inside to Gabby or Pheesa. Look for the high-low game from Gabby to Pheesa to wreck Oregon inside.

A good 10 to 20 point run will hurt the Ducks.

I also expect Oregon to be ready to go at it. They will want to slow down the pace a bit. If UConn ups the pace and starts running, the Ducks are in trouble.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Get up 10-12 pts. and then just grind them.

In other words, we're going to feast on duck pate!

Not sure which my brother will consider a better birthday gift, a win tonight or Baylor's loss yesterday as an early present.

Reaction Score
At the slow pace Oregon wants to play UConn won't score enough points to win by 30. However, they will win. SC slowed the pace down and still couldn't win. UConn 79-61.

Reaction Score
" I'll tell you this, Oregon's for real," Frese said. "[They] really punished us in terms of any mistakes, any breakdowns that we would have."

we will see- this is from the Coach who also said she will not let one game define her season. She came up short again, despite having two WNBA bound seniors

It appears Brenda is wrong again.... Oregon cannot even complete a pass

Reaction Score
Go at them from the jump with full court man to man pressure and see how the Ducks handle that for 5-6 minutes. Get up 10-12 pts. and then just grind them and see how they play from behind.
I couldn't see the game, I'll watch the replay but did they go full court pressure or just half court with traps? I must have seen the result in a dream.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The key is that Oregon DRIBBLES the ball around for 20 to 25 seconds before shooting. Their PASSING was almost non-existant until late in the shot clock. I predict that our guards are going to have an awesome night -- seven or more steals that lead to layups at the other end. Oregon is the team that is going to get tired out chasing our fast breaks in the other direction. Geno will also make certain that the three point shots from the corner are well covered. UConn wins by 20 or more points.

I thought about this post while watching the game. 16, count 'em, 16 steals.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom