My bitch with the announcers | The Boneyard

My bitch with the announcers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
It seemed from the opening tip (just about) they assumed UConn was going to win - as in X minutes to their 10th championship. Ya know, up to the 3 minute mark it was anyone's game yet they kept repeating that over & over. If I were as rabid a ND fan as I am UConn I would have been ballistic. As it is I think they came off as morons.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the same thing crossed my mind every time O'Brien said that, as if it were a done deal with the game that close. Thought Doris did a good job, though. She went a notch in my book with her praise of Morgan and how she should have been voted AA.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Interesting- I don't think we could find a better announcing team. Will watch and listen more than a few times! U certainly may be right.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
The way that We were playing and they (ND) were playing, adding very few whistles being blown.............................it was going to happen.............................just O'Matter of time...............................

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
He was just trying to reassure anxious UConn fans, some of whom have tender hearts. "Don't worry, be happy, everything is going to be alright." And hey, he was right.

Reaction Score
I ALWAYS mute the TV and listen to WTIC with no angst whatsoever. Bob Joyce and Debby Fiske are soooo much better than anyone of the ESPN/SNY announcers. You just have to adjust to the roughly 6-8 second delay between video and radio audio but it is well worth it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"Don't worry, be happy, everything is going to be alright."
Do you realize the irony in this single sentence? Don't worry, be happy= Bobby McFerrin. Everything is going to be alright= Bob Marley.
You may have inadvertently associated an Icon - Bob Marley with a one hit wonder in McFerrin. That is just plain wrong!

Reaction Score
Yeah, the same thing crossed my mind every time O'Brien said that, as if it were a done deal with the game that close. Thought Doris did a good job, though. She went a notch in my book with her praise of Morgan and how she should have been voted AA.

I may be in the minority but I love Doris Burke. I think she's very insightful, fair in her assessments and appreciates the incredible accomplishments of UCONN basketball. I like the timbre of her voice and forgive her for using comport a few too many times. Or maybe I just like her in a Pavlovian way as I associate her with so many UCONN wins.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Do you realize the irony in this single sentence? Don't worry, be happy= Bobby McFerrin. Everything is going to be alright= Bob Marley.
You may have inadvertently associated an Icon - Bob Marley with a one hit wonder in McFerrin. That is just plain wrong!
Wasn't really thinking about that, but actually I've always admired McFerrin for principled stand on his hit being appropriated and sickeningly misused in a certain political campaign, and he has to this day engaged in a wide range of distinguished activities in music, even if the experience with Don't Worry left him a little bruised. We can all have our musical heroes for different reasons, but Bobby's in mine and I think he knows something about being happy with his life, even if it doesn't live up to everyone's standards.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I have said it before, so I will ask you to be patient with me.

The job of sports play-by-play is nowhere as easy as critics sometimes seem to think it is. Critics have a right to criticize, yes. And their criticisms sometimes (if rarely) make the product better. But the one thing I always wished people would do before ripping on me was to try it themselves. Take a little dictation recorder and go to the top row of the bleachers. Then be a star. You'll learn more and and gain a sharper perspective than you might have thought possible.

Dave O. is a solid, if unspectacular PBP guy for WCBB. Doris Burke is one of the best color analysts in the business, and is in constant demand. A key to understanding her is that she takes her work (and herself) rather seriously. She isn't a clown, as some analysts are. She feels a responsibility to advance the game generally and WCBB in particular. And yes, because of this she can be a little preachy sometimes.

I am not invalidating anyone else's opinion here. Just adding my own. I spent 40 years trying to get really, really, really good (you know, UConn-grade good) at sports broadcasting. I don't think I ever achieved that goal. Sure was fun trying though!

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I may be in the minority but I love Doris Burke. I think she's very insightful, fair in her assessments and appreciates the incredible accomplishments of UCONN basketball. I like the timbre of her voice and forgive her for using comport a few too many times. Or maybe I just like her in a Pavlovian way as I associate her with so many UCONN wins.
At the end of the game, Doris repeated something I posted yesterday, that Geno demands the best from his players, and pushes them beyond their own perceived limits. I am not claiming this is an original thought from me, but it is never reported when confronting other coaches about UConn's greatness. Kudos to Doris for hitting the nail directly on the head. Until other coaches are willing to challenge their best players to be all that they can be, while helping them get there, other teams will not be able to challenge UConn. Other coaches tell their best players how great they are, Geno points out their weaknesses. This may make them uncomfortable, but it also makes them better.

Reaction Score
Other coaches tell their best players how great they are, Geno points out their weaknesses. This may make them uncomfortable, but it also makes them better.
This is another take on the famous Kennedy quote about America going to the moon. According to JFK we chose to do it not because it would be easy but because it would be hard. Those who are unwilling to really challenge themselves won't become what they might be but simply continue being what they have been.

Reaction Score
It seemed from the opening tip (just about) they assumed UConn was going to win - as in X minutes to their 10th championship. Ya know, up to the 3 minute mark it was anyone's game yet they kept repeating that over & over. If I were as rabid a ND fan as I am UConn I would have been ballistic. As it is I think they came off as morons.
And all of us didn't?

Reaction Score
My problem with her was she kept saying "How is UConn going to respond to having the lead cut to __?" I kept thinking why was she worried about Uconn's lead shrinking. She should be concerned about why can't ND take the lead.

Reaction Score
My problem with her was she kept saying "How is UConn going to respond to having the lead cut to __?" I kept thinking why was she worried about Uconn's lead shrinking. She should be concerned about why can't ND take the lead.

It was a legit question. How often has UConn been in the situation of having a lead cut late in a game this season? Stanford might be it, and from what I've read on here on the Boneyard, it doesn't sound like they handled it all that well in that game. Last night they did.

Reaction Score
Dave O. is a solid, if unspectacular PBP guy for WCBB. Doris Burke is one of the best color analysts in the business, and is in constant demand. A key to understanding her is that she takes her work (and herself) rather seriously. She isn't a clown, as some analysts are. She feels a responsibility to advance the game generally and WCBB in particular. And yes, because of this she can be a little preachy sometimes.

I am not invalidating anyone else's opinion here. Just adding my own. I spent 40 years trying to get really, really, really good (you know, UConn-grade good) at sports broadcasting. I don't think I ever achieved that goal. Sure was fun trying though!

I don't think she's good -- though she is very nice. Complimentary etc. I enjoy for example Debbie Antonelli much more. But I don't agree overall how she looks ta the game and how it should be played other than when she is praising UCONN. We have a team that loses once over 2 = years you're going to get praise. She's nice about it.

for example last year Simms did something aggressive to MoJeff away from the ball and she go called for a foul. It was extreme and Doris said something to the effect "you can't be getting stars in foul trouble by away from the ball scuffles." In a way she's right. In another way -- that was practically a punch thrown by Simms if I recall. -- Doris are you out of your mind????!!!!

IMO there were more bizzarro comments made last year vs ND an this year vs MD and ND.

She is really nice but I really don't like listening to her at all.

Reaction Score
In recent years since the demise of SNY and CT PBS live coverage, my best option (well my chosen option...) was to stream delayed replays on ESPN3. This was OK but did result in some late nights (e.g. Stanford).

Going into the Final Four this year I was surprised to see that I could now stream these games live, with the same video, but in Spanish. The championship game offered the same option. I took it both times and enjoyed it...not because of my few years of Spanish classes (decades ago..) but because all I could understand was the names of the teams and players which were the same as in English. After a few minutes of acclimation, it wasn't bad. In fact I sort of enjoyed it, allowing me to focus on the game without external babble.

Later I watched the replay in English and, having already seen the game, enjoyed the comments. I think I'll continue this as long as I have the option. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom