My “Shake it up” proposals | Page 3 | The Boneyard

My “Shake it up” proposals

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
What's your issue with me? It was a rebuddle to what someone else said about not playing organized basketball why are you getting involved?

No Issue.

Just this:

s
season 3 dance GIF by Portlandia

August_West

Reaction Score
That's an awesome gif of you dancing around this morning! Love it!!! You'll have to teach me how to create my own gifs sometime

I could, but you might not grasp it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I feel like OP has things backwards. Our absolute worst lineups have come with Jackson at the 4.

Once Johnson is back and ready, I'd start this lineup
Newton
Hawkins
Karaban
Johnson
Sanogo

Until then I'd still consider having Jackson come off the bench. Want to see what Newton does without him and with Diarra or Alleyne.

Reaction Score
I like most of it except moving Diarra the the 1. IMO from what we have seen he has zero skills at completing a drive for a score. I like the other parts of your proposal.
Also, have you noticed that when Diarra has the point, he brings the ball up slowly to the frontcourt, and then he dribbles out past the arc for at least 10 seconds before passing it. We have lost the quick ball movement that was apparent earlier in the season. Fewer players are involved in each offensive set.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Also, have you noticed that when Diarra has the point, he brings the ball up slowly to the frontcourt, and then he dribbles out past the arc for at least 10 seconds before passing it. We have lost the quick ball movement that was apparent earlier in the season. Fewer players are involved in each offensive set.
Yes, offensively he's essentially Gaffney with a better handle, and maybe a worse shot. But I don't see the off the ball movement we had earlier either. Guys just standing around. Too much weave, too many ball screens. Everyone blaming the PG play, but the reality is, the offense is designed not to need a PG. It needs loads of off the ball motion and movement of the ball crisply through the air.

Look how different it looked against Iowa State, a good defensive team.

Reaction Score
I think this is it.

Offensively it almost doesn't matter what changes we make unless one of Newton/Diarra becomes the BE caliber PG we need them to be and we hit some open shots. Until then, going big or staying with our lineup isn't going to matter at all. We can't get to the rim at all, can't create our own shots and Danny's sets have been completely figured out. It's a personnel issue.

On defense I think there's some hope. Switch to zone sometimes to prevent the lay up lines, and hope that it triggers your fast break a bit. DC is a good enough rebounder to cover up that flaw in the zone, and we have a bunch of length.
DC needs to keep his defensive rebounds very high and pass from that position to start fast breaks. That has been completely missing from most of our offensive. He is bringing the ball down too low as evidenced by the purported elbow review of the St John's game and serious foul given which changed much of the game.

Diarra is great at starting the fast breaks but doesn't finish well. He needs to pass to another breaking guard. Newton runs the offensive too slow and a 25 second clock resulting in rushed shots. Seems like we have too many guards that don't penetrate or can finish fast breaks. Joey & Hawkins can, I think.

I do agree with a 2/3 or 3/2 zone when the bigs are on the floor together if that even is to happen. I think early foul trouble prevented the coach from doing that in the past game. The bigs can also set low screens for guard penetration. Other teams do that to us all the time with great success. With another big on the floor that might not work as well for their guards.

Reaction Score
Seems like Newton does this slow offensive pattern more than Diarra.

Reaction Score
Sanogo gets the ball at the top of the paint. Hawkins makes a cut to the basket and Sanogo does not make the pass. I feel like that happens all the time.
Sanogo is not a passing big, DC might be that big.

August_West

Reaction Score
Sanogo gets the ball at the top of the paint. Hawkins makes a cut to the basket and Sanogo does not make the pass. I feel like that happens all the time.

Unfortunately he isn't a good passer, Sanogo trying to hit cutters would be a TO 50% of time. Hell he had an open kickout to the 3 line from the post which is an easy pass (and it was the right thing for him to try) that he almost threw 5 rows into the stands against st johns.

Reaction Score
Yes, offensively he's essentially Gaffney with a better handle, and maybe a worse shot. But I don't see the off the ball movement we had earlier either. Guys just standing around. Too much weave, too many ball screens. Everyone blaming the PG play, but the reality is, the offense is designed not to need a PG. It needs loads of off the ball motion and movement of the ball crisply through the air.

Look how different it looked against Iowa State, a good defensive team.

Watching those highlights makes me sad. We looked so fluid on offense and damn sharp on defense. I really don't understand what the hell has happened. The ball movement during the PK85 was a thing of beauty

Reaction Score
DC needs to keep his defensive rebounds very high and pass from that position to start fast breaks. That has been completely missing from most of our offensive. He is bringing the ball down too low as evidenced by the purported elbow review of the St John's game and serious foul given which changed much of the game.
Clingan couldn't keep the defensive rebound very high and pass from that position for a fast break. The St. John's player fouled the hell out of him and had his entire arm.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Watching those highlights makes me sad. We looked so fluid on offense and damn sharp on defense. I really don't understand what the hell has happened. The ball movement during the PK85 was a thing of beauty
Early season UConn played some of the prettiest offensive basketball I've seen from a UConn team since mid 2000s. Looked more like I'm used to seeing from Kansas. Suddenly, it now looks like it did 4-5 years ago. Nobody looks like they are having fun anymore. No smiles. They look like a team that is under enormous pressure.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what the shake-up should be but I do know that since we have been going with the starting lineup of Sanago, AJ, Hawkins, Newton and Karaban, I can’t recall even one time when Hurley substituted before the 16:00 minute tv timeout. That’s goes as well for the beginning of the 2nd half. Twenty percent of the minutes every game where he sticks with the same starting lineup regardless of how they are playing or the matchup.

There are so many instances that a player or two should not start the 2nd half based on their play but he never changes and even worse keeps them all in for for 4+ minutes. He never yanks players when they are stinking up the floor. Let's see what changes are in store for tomorrow night.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what the shake-up should be but I do know that since we have been going with the starting lineup of Sanago, AJ, Hawkins, Newton and Karaban, I can’t recall even one time when Hurley substituted before the 16:00 minute tv timeout. That’s goes as well for the beginning of the 2nd half. Twenty percent of the minutes every game where he sticks with the same starting lineup regardless of how they are playing or the matchup.

There are so many instances that a player or two should not start the 2nd half based on their play but he never changes and even worse keeps them all in for for 4+ minutes. He never yanks players when they are stinking up the floor. Let's see what changes are in store for tomorrow night.
It's infuriating. It's like he's pre-programmed.

Reaction Score
Early season UConn played some of the prettiest offensive basketball I've seen from a UConn team since mid 2000s. Looked more like I'm used to seeing from Kansas. Suddenly, it now looks like it did 4-5 years ago. Nobody looks like they are having fun anymore. No smiles. They look like a team that is under enormous pressure.
I think this is one of a few big issues for the team. I alluded to this somewhat in post #2 within this thread a few days ago:

When their defense is giving up a lot of points the shooters feel that much more pressure to make their open shots and it looks like they are tightening and short arming some of the shots (signs of nerves). It's almost like they are thinking "I know how important this shot is, I absolutely have to make it". When their defense was on point and playing well, they didn't feel so much pressure to make a particular offensive possession work because they knew their defense could stop the opposition-not so much anymore.

Think of it like when you see the professional play 8-ball for billiards. Usually one player runs the table without missing, but when that one player misses the announcers say "uh oh he might lose"-that's an enormous amount of pressure to not have one error.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
My proposal:
Start Sanogo and Clingan just to let the Boneyard know it’s not the answer moving forward. Then…

Sit Newton down and tell him how good he can be and tell him he could have his Jersey hanging from the rafters one day, get him back to playing how he was early on. He just lost his confidence. Have Alleyne/Calcaterra/Diarra/Jackson shoot 1000 3 pointers a day even if they need to stay up all night to get them all in.

Making 3’s covers up a lot of mistakes…when our offense goes cold we lose our motivation on defense. Gotta start knocking down our open shots again
IF Newton hasn't been spoken to at least 10 games ago there is something wrong with the coaching staff .......................................
1000 3 pointers a day is ridiculous - surely you jest
This team needs to drive the ball and find a mid range game from someone

Reaction Score
Problem statement(s):

Lack of dribble penetration offensively and on ball defense are the primary issues.

Three point shooting is suffering as a result of lack of dribble penetration. Teams are overplaying on the third level.

Lack of on ball defensive exposes a weakness of Adama on that end, he’s not a rim protector.

Solutions:

Move Diarra to the starting lineup, his handle and defense address both primary issues.

Move Newton to the 2, Hawkins to the 3, AJ to the 4. This gets us smaller at every position which should help us close the quickness gap at both ends. Yes, this demotes AK. But I’m okay sending more shooting to later in the rotation because…

Start Donavan. The rim protection will help cure ills defensively and offensively even if teams pack it down low there’s still enough offensive weapons on the perimeter in Hawk, Newt (assuming moving him off ball helps fix him) and AJ.

Adama now plays his first 5 minutes with AK and JC + lineup dependent decisions. He’s playing against tired or bench bigs which can help get him going earlier. He’ll have spacing.

From there it’s game feel on which lineup is having more success.

Conclusion:

Defense improves in first 5 which is helpful in hostile environments.

Quickness improves which helps on both ends on what is currently being exploited.

Challenges:

“Benching” the pre-season POY is probably unpopular.
In essence you’re starting Diarra in place of Sanogo.

Maybe because Diarra is aggressive and defensively disruptive at times, the BY narrative is that he’s a great defensive player.

What I’ve seen is that after Diarra’s pressure on the perimeter his man drives past him and beats him repeatedly on drives to the hoop. He should get a few minutes PT when we need to stop a three point shooter who can’t dribble and drive.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I like the idea of having AJ come of the bench a few minutes in - starting shouldn't be the end-all be-all of your "worth".

He's 7'2", his elbows were at his own shoulder height and the ball above his head. He's VERY good at keeping the ball high. IMO, he shouldn't have even been called for a foul.

Reaction Score
Alleyne has done nothing and I mean NOTHING to warrant starting. I get trying something new, but if I was his teammate and I saw him starting I'd be pissed.
I mean which of those teammates actually deserve to start. They are all playing likes garbage. We clearly need to go to a different rotation and this is one that did work at one point.

Reaction Score
I like the idea of having AJ come of the bench a few minutes in - starting shouldn't be the end-all be-all of your "worth".

He's 7'2", his elbows were at his own shoulder height and the ball above his head. He's VERY good at keeping the ball high. IMO, he shouldn't have even been called for a foul.
He got called for that foul because he is 5 inches taller. It was BS. You shouldnt be able to penalize a guy who's elbows are already at head height of an opponent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom