Mutation of Tailgate Chow - Held Hostage? | The Boneyard

Mutation of Tailgate Chow - Held Hostage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First game was a Night game - Dogs, burgers, sausage, whatever
Second game is a Noon Game- ohhh, now the DRAMMMA starts
-----------------------------------
I like Brats, Burgers, and Beer at 8am
some say thats grossssss. ewwww. Mainly the wives, but some dudes too.

Are Brats and Burgers being held hostage for morning tailgates?
I am positive others have heard the same whining.

Mimosa? really???

What say YOU!???

Reaction Score
Grill it all. Brats, Burgers, Sausage, Bacon, Eggs, French toast, Hash browns, whatever floats your tailgates boat....
As for alcohol, again, drink t all...Beer, Bloodies, Mimosa's(sp?), Screw Drivers, G&T's, Jack and Coke, Baileys and Coffee, whatever fuel someone needs for a Noon start, go for it.

Me, I'll be starting with bloody mary's (extra spicy) with my bacon egg and cheese sandwiches and cheesy potatoes at 8am. Will enjoy a couple of those (bloodies and sandwiches) then move to beer mid-morning. I judge no one by their food and beverage choice for tailgate, and I could care less what they think of my choice.

Reaction Score
First game was a Night game - Dogs, burgers, sausage, whatever
Second game is a Noon Game- ohhh, now the DRAMMMA starts
-----------------------------------
I like Brats, Burgers, and Beer at 8am
some say thats grossssss. ewwww. Mainly the wives, but some dudes too.

Are Brats and Burgers being held hostage for morning tailgates?
I am positive others have heard the same whining.

Mimosa? really???

What say YOU!???
You have to play the game. I'm off this morning to the butcher to get some German style breakfast sausage links. They look like half sized brats & taste similar. Grill 'em, slice 'em in half to lie flat on an egg sandwich with Portuguese rolls, then add your own condiments. Everybody's happy. Or, grill a kielbasa. It's versatile as it can be served anytime. As for the beer. I'm pulling into Blue lot at 9 A.M. & the first brew gets popped open at 9:00:05! (Sorry for the delay, have to shut off the truck's engine first);)

Reaction Score
My tailgate grill has a griddle, too, so I generally cook eggs, bacon, and hash browns at 8 am, and then we cook again at like 10:30, because by then we're all intoxicated enough to talk ourselves into eating bratwurst, etc.

I fail to see why we can't have the best of both worlds.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
If I'm cookin' , I'm choosin'

I'm respectful if some people want some additional stuff, or a change, but there are limits! :)

Reaction Score
"it's tooo earrly for burgerssss" "that's grossss" "wahhhhh"

Just sayin. haha. its hilarious. go cook yurself some quiche and crumpets.

LOL!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"it's tooo earrly for burgerssss" "that's grossss" "wahhhhh"

Just sayin. haha. its hilarious. go cook yurself some quiche and crumpets.

LOL!!

One sign that you are a grown-up is when you can actually admit that quiche is great.

But to answer your first question, you start with breakfast type stuff and rotate in lunch stuff as you go on. Like this Saturday, we start with sausage biscuits and gravy, egg sandwiches than the chili guy gets there and we add that then morph to kielbasa and then throw on a few dogs and burgers for the late comers.

Reaction Score
One sign that you are a grown-up is when you can actually admit that quiche is great.

But to answer your first question, you start with breakfast type stuff and rotate in lunch stuff as you go on. Like this Saturday, we start with sausage biscuits and gravy, egg sandwiches than the chili guy gets there and we add that then morph to kielbasa and then throw on a few dogs and burgers for the late comers.
Now THAT is a mutation of tailgate chow! good progression!

Personally, I like to keep it simple. less cleanup, but thats just me. If I had the means to do what you do I certainly would.

SWEEET!

Reaction Score
I want a hamburger and a brat and I'll cry if I don't get one. I guess some people should just bring their own Happy Meal.

Reaction Score
I have no issue with brats, burgers or other non-breakfast food being served at 10:45 to 11:15 in the parking lot. The only thing I wouldn't serve for a noon start that I serve for a night game is steak. (Although I'm not against flank steak sandwiches for a noon game).

I find the time of game is more relevant for the beverage than the entree. Night games with steak require red wine, and if I am cooking for someone who prefers fish or chicken or rare occasions I'll open a white. But I wouldn't do wine before a noon game. That requires beer.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
BL, are you claiming that you cannot eat steak while drinking beer?

I am only taking exception top your post because (due to a great sale at Fairway) I'm bringing a number of NY Strips for this game and I plan on grilling them ~ 10:50.

Reaction Score
BL, are you claiming that you cannot eat steak while drinking beer?

I am only taking exception top your post because (due to a great sale at Fairway) I'm bringing a number of NY Strips for this game and I plan on grilling them ~ 10:50.

LOL. Maybe I should run by at lunch and see if they are still on sale. Actually, I'm not a fan of strip steaks with beer. If I'm having a good strip steak, I do prefer wine.

More importantly than what I'm not cooking, however, is what I am cooking. I think it will be a southern meal: something like ribs, grilled chicken with barbecue sauce, a mac salad and some tomatoes..

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Perhaps I'm not quite as polished as I should be but in my humble opinion most good meals go well with beer.

Reaction Score
Perhaps I'm not quite as polished as I should be but in my humble opinion most good meals go well with beer.

More likely, even at a football game, drinking at 10:15 in the morning, I'm still a pretentious lawyer at heart. At least I recognize the possibility.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Now THAT is a mutation of tailgate chow! good progression!

Personally, I like to keep it simple. less cleanup, but thats just me. If I had the means to do what you do I certainly would.

SWEEET!

Thanks, Cody. Things evolve, it's more like a glorified pot-luck supper now. Our first year it was just 4 of us with one of those tiny hibachis. One week the guy who said he was bringing food just plops a couple of pounds of sliced turkey on the stool and says, "I had to bring rolls, too?" But we always seemed to be enough beer.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
More likely, even at a football game, drinking at 10:15 in the morning, I'm still a pretentious lawyer at heart. At least I recognize the possibility.

Just crank up "Roadhouse Blues" on the way to the game and feel young again.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Grill it all. Brats, Burgers, Sausage, Bacon, Eggs, French toast, Hash browns, whatever floats your tailgates boat....
As for alcohol, again, drink t all...Beer, Bloodies, Mimosa's(sp?), Screw Drivers, G&T's, Jack and Coke, Baileys and Coffee, whatever fuel someone needs for a Noon start, go for it.

Me, I'll be starting with bloody mary's (extra spicy) with my bacon egg and cheese sandwiches and cheesy potatoes at 8am. Will enjoy a couple of those (bloodies and sandwiches) then move to beer mid-morning. I judge no one by their food and beverage choice for tailgate, and I could care less what they think of my choice.

Absolutely. Anything that is made out of anything that ever had a pulse and contains saturated fats should be thrown on the grill. Let the mongrels figure out what they want to stuff down their gullets.

Same with the booze. lay it all out. Nothing wrong if someone wants Patron on the rocks with their eggs and bacon.

On a side note, just to be kind to any NCSU fans, feel free to stop along the route to the Rent and pick up some road kill. Wolfpack fans appreciate a nicely marinated and grilled possum, squirrel, woodchuck, robin or bluebird.

Reaction Score

"pretentious lawyer"? Some would say that is redundant...HA! I am a banker, feel free to respond with your own jab...we have had a pretty tough go of it the last few years to say the least.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I've always like the Cowboy burger at Prime 16 (beef burger, cheese, fried egg, fresh salsa). It would make good brunch food...

Reaction Score
Mimosas-blueberry pancakes with maple syrup- bacon - I cook- I don't clean

Reaction Score
How about leftover cold pizza and three am taco bell that was from the night before paired with a natural light

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
leftover cold pizza is underrated. Natty? not so much...

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
pulled chicken BBQ sliders, with Sweet Baby Rays and pickle slices... and some spicy Stubbs BBQ for those that need it...

I keep making big deals, but no one is ever hungry after wiping out the apps... it just pushes me to make better and better appetizer spreads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom