Musical Acts At UConn | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Musical Acts At UConn

Reaction Score
I remember late one spring session and Max Creek was playing the South Quad for some reason.

Forgot about this one. I now recall they played my freshman year on the Student Union Lawn on Labor Day weekend 1987.

Reaction Score
I can't remember them all, but definitely Ramones on the student union mall (last time concert was there) was one of the most fun days I've ever had.
I remember that one just barely. It's not listed on any site I've seen and there wasn't much of a stage or anything. They kinda, seemed out of place and by then I was into other music. But yes I'm glad it wasn't just a hallucination or something. Was kinda shocked to see it play out that way. Probably Spring 82 or 83?

Reaction Score
The piano player thread got me thinking about how many musical acts I saw on or around the UConn campus. Here are some that I remember:

Stevie Ray Vaughn
Marshall Crenshaw
Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers
The Ramones
Modern English
Fred Wesley
Jefferson Starship
The SOS Band
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes

I'm sure I am forgetting a bunch.
Fleetwood Mac - Bare Trees, field house 1976

Reaction Score
Fugees cancelled because they wanted more money and Biggie showed up instead to spring weekend. So sick

Reaction Score
Dave matthews and tim Reynolds
10000 maniacs
P funk
biggie (terrible live)
Fugazi
Might might bostones
I was at that Biggie show. I was somewhat unaware of who he was at the time. A few years back i remember telling a colleague i saw him live and they were a little in awe. It didnt even cross my mind it was a big deal.... and yes, it was a bad show. I couldnt hear much. It was at the old football field... right?

Reaction Score
Forgot about this one. I now recall they played my freshman year on the Student Union Lawn on Labor Day weekend 1987.
Creek were also there I'm thinking '81 or '82 outside. Really nice day for the show. Not sure if my dorm IDC or the quad got together to arrange it. We had some great parties for sure. Reunions still happening.

Reaction Score
Tower of Power
NRBQ
Good Rats
Aztec Two-Step
Fleetwood Mac
Renaissance
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
America
The Kinks
Outlaws

Doesn't count the many I saw at Shaboo off campus

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Southside Johnnie

IMG_0449.jpeg

Reaction Score
I remember that one just barely. It's not listed on any site I've seen and there wasn't much of a stage or anything. They kinda, seemed out of place and by then I was into other music. But yes I'm glad it wasn't just a hallucination or something. Was kinda shocked to see it play out that way. Probably Spring 82 or 83?
The Ramones on campus was definitely Spring Weekend 84.

HuskyHawk!! The "We're having a party..." frisbee is great! Definitely had multiples of that as a dorm decoration and remember my Labrador at home chewing one up! I think Southside Johnnie played multiple years at UConn - as I recall one was on the lawn outside Towers in 85. How much :) ?

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score

HuskyHawk!! The "We're having a party..." frisbee is great! Definitely had multiples of that as a dorm decoration and remember my Labrador at home chewing one up! I think Southside Johnnie played multiple years at UConn - as I recall one was on the lawn outside Towers in 85. How much :) ?

I remember that Ramones Spring Weekend show in 1984 for 2 reasons - a couple of my housemates ate too many mushrooms, forgot about the show and, and climbed the towers (not an urban legend) instead.

Also, the opening act was a reggae band out of DC "Black Sheep." They were awesome, supposed to be the next big thing in reggae, but mis-managed by a Redskin (can't remember exactly which one) who ran their chance into the ground. Good times!

Also, not sure anyone has mentioned a ROTC-beer-fest favorite, Beau Bolero, a Steely Dan cover band. They've played a few one-off reunion shows recently (I believe at Infinity Hall in Norfolk), and Kris Jenson, the sax player, is always popping up around CT for sit-ins.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I've kept this frisbee for 39 years while moving across the country and back. Going to have to be buried with it now.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I remember that Ramones Spring Weekend show in 1984 for 2 reasons - a couple of my housemates ate too many mushrooms, forgot about the show and, and climbed the towers (not an urban legend) instead.

Also, the opening act was a reggae band out of DC "Black Sheep." They were awesome, supposed to be the next big thing in reggae, but mis-managed by a Redskin (can't remember exactly which one) who ran their chance into the ground. Good times!
Are you sure about? When I saw the Ramones on Spring Weekend, the opener was the SOS Band. They did both of their hits.

Reaction Score
I've kept this frisbee for 39 years while moving across the country and back. Going to have to be buried with it now.
That is awesome, I figured maybe you had a carton of them from the Co-op or something. Despite the moves, Mint condition!!

Reaction Score
Are you sure about? When I saw the Ramones on Spring Weekend, the opener was the SOS Band. They did both of their hits.
What were the SOS band hits? I don't remember the opener but maybe the songs will jog my memory, though I had many beers by the time the Ramones took the stage, I can assure you that Joey Ramone looked like he had more.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Pretty sure it was Spring weekend '84 because of who I was with and where I was living. could have been more than 1 opener? Or the fun guy?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom