Mushnick on Kentucky, Squid and education. | The Boneyard

Mushnick on Kentucky, Squid and education.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"Finally, a team fronted by a major university that knows we know that this team now annually has the same relationship to college as pigeons do to stone soldiers standing in town squares."

Nice

Reaction Score
Maybe he is but he absolutely nailed it in this piece. Love the part about Roy Williams.

He "nailed it" because he talked about two programs that people on here want to see brought down. But there's nothing insightful or original about this piece and he remains the same useless blowhard he's always been. He was not particularly well regarded on here when he was calling KO an embarrassment.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
John Calipari used to play the phony pretense game. He played college coach at Massachusetts then at Memphis. He won big, too, but bolted each as it was being punished for pretending to be a college.

This time? Straight-up and keepin’ it real! There’s nothing to debate — the University of Kentucky fronts a basketball team. On campus it shares reality with vending machines.

The University of North Carolina? Now there’s a school that still plays pretend, as if football and basketball recruits are legitimate “student-athletes.”

GOLD

Reaction Score
No news here. This stuff has been going on with pro-ready college athletes for decades.

uk is a one and done (or short time) foundation program so what's education got to do with it?

I will say that this does make it seem if kids are getting used for the coaches benefit, but that's on the parent(s). Should the kid get injured or have a short NBA career they are screwed.

Reaction Score
Wow read the comments, so many deluded Kentucky fans in there. "these kids go to class EVERY day" umm no, shut up, because on no basketball team is that true, they frequently have practice during classtime

I hate seeing Kentucky fans say Cal gets these kids to the NBA... because Jamie Dixon could get these kids to the NBA, Erik Spoelstra could get them to the NBA, an empty chair at the coaching helm could get them to the NBA

Also hate seeing kids quote the GPAs, because as it was at Cuse and UNC, there clearly must be something going on there or with paying kids/families

Reaction Score
Wow read the comments, so many deluded Kentucky fans in there. "these kids go to class EVERY day" umm no, shut up, because on no basketball team is that true, they frequently have practice during classtime

I would bet that if you checked their class records they all would have perfect attendance, so it would be impossible to prove that they didn't, unless of course you allow witness testimony. I also would bet those rabid fans would kill any witnesses forthcoming.

Last edited:

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
i'm not watching any of this tourney until kentucky loses.
i refused to even make a bracket this year cause i hate kentucky so much.
please for everything good in the universe, don't let kentucky win this tourney.

Reaction Score
i'm not watching any of this tourney until kentucky loses.
i refused to even make a bracket this year cause i hate kentucky so much.
please for everything good in the universe, don't let kentucky win this tourney.
Does that mean you are not buying his book?

playersfirst.jpg

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
i can not understand really why a top 10 player would rather play for Cal than Ollie.
play for a full of white dude who sucks as an in game coach.
or play for a real basketball player who actually cares about his players.

Brownie

"Sword of God"
Reaction Score
i can not understand really why a top 10 player would rather play for Cal than Ollie.
play for a full of white dude who sucks as an in game coach.
or play for a real basketball player who actually cares about his players.[/

What does the color of his skin have to do with anything?

Reaction Score
Sign me up for Cal's book! How to blow up a program and still get into the HOF!
Also, next year he will enter his sixth year at KU. How many of his kids have graduated from year one? Wasn't that one of the NCAAs issues with us?
Go Ashley!!!

caw

Reaction Score
Heck, UNC had an actual player come forward and admit he didn't take classes, etc and they tore into him.

Anthony Davis could come forward and they wouldn't believe him at UK. Cal himself could admit it and they wouldn't admit it.

Reaction Score
Calipari is not known to be a great in game coach, recently heard that said on ESPN, but we've long known, but how on earth can anyone say he's not a great recruiter? And the way the game is going isn't that at least 1B on the list of coach skills? If we have Towns on our team, is there any question we are going to the final 4?

Reaction Score
First thought while reading the article: There is no way anybody under the age of 60 can be reading this as anything other than an unintentional parody, right? This is too ridiculous even for the boneyard to agree with.

Then I read this thread and I was sadly mistaken.

Reaction Score
His point about how come players are always coming off a bus wearing headphones and not carrying a book is total cranky old fart "get off my lawn" material. Yes - the 10 minute bus ride from the hotel on the way to playing an intense athletic event is the time to crack open the Herman Melville and discuss what the whale represents.

May be one of the stupidest things I've ever seen written.

Reaction Score
I have a lot of friends who are UK fans ,
UK is so loved they are blinded and are in denial.
But aren't all us fans a lit
Calipari is not known to be a great in game coach, recently heard that said on ESPN, but we've long known, but how on earth can anyone say he's not a great recruiter? And the way the game is going isn't that at least 1B on the list of coach skills? If we have Towns on our team, is there any question we are going to the final 4?
Define great recruiter
The assumption is he is playing by the same rules as everyone else.
Playing by your own rules unecumbered by NCAA scrutiny , at the top basketball destination in the country ,doesn't necessarily make you a great recruiter.
He might be a great recruiter but he might also be the biggest cheater of all time.
Time will tell
Unless you subscribe to the " if you ain't cheaten you ain't trying school"
Then he is right up there with Wooden.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
The squid has had unprecedented success as a recruiter in the modern age, perhaps only matched in history by John Wooden.
Slippery, slimy, achieved through bending and breaking most of the rules, but unprecented nonetheless.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Just saw this. Guess Pitino is tired of losing to Cal and his faux College athletes.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...schoolers-able-skip-college-declare-nba-draft

While I understand his point, I just can't see how college bball gets better with this. The product is already falling off a cliff. Allowing kids to head right to the NBA again continues that trend. However, I guess having them play for a year really doesn't make things better in terms of college ball. Some kids though benefit as they realize they need another year to get better instead of jumping right to the NBA and spending their entire career in the D-League and then doing god knows what after that.

Reaction Score
Just saw this. Guess Pitino is tired of losing to Cal and his faux College athletes.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...schoolers-able-skip-college-declare-nba-draft

While I understand his point, I just can't see how college bball gets better with this. The product is already falling off a cliff. Allowing kids to head right to the NBA again continues that trend. However, I guess having them play for a year really doesn't make things better in terms of college ball. Some kids though benefit as they realize they need another year to get better instead of jumping right to the NBA and spending their entire career in the D-League and then doing god knows what after that.
There is no way to know for sure but it "feels" like the rest of the field had a better chance before Kentucky started this one and done circus show.

On a related topic, McCrackhead predictably showed up to defend his man crush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom