Mulkey apologizes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mulkey apologizes

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm no big fan of The Huff but Mulkey's unfortunate words do raise the question of whether anything has really changed within Baylor. Apparently the Big 12 is unpursuaded. It has docked Baylor 25% of their conference revenue share ($7.5 M/yr) until it demonstrates to Big 12 satisfaction that appropriate institution mechanisms and reforms are in place. The Big 12 took this action just last month. I'm sure she's just furious about this too.

Reaction Score
Kim looks like the stress of the negative attention she's getting is wearing on her - she really looks rode hard and put away wet. It's hard to be convinced she's sincere, though. First the original rant, then a follow-up an hour later with, "move on, it's over", and a couple subsequent attempts to explain it away with "poor choice of words", etc. And she's still saying, "poor timing" (When would be a good time?). We saw your true colors, Kim.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm sorry but Mulkey isn't a bad person and any attempt to demonize her to me misses the mark. Yes, I was one of the chorus who was critical of her seeming insensitivity/stupidity/inappropriateness and near trailer park trash response to what is obvious to most a grave situation there in Waco. But she's human guys, we all screw up, and I feel for her. I glad there isn't a camera/microphone that I occasionally have to grab, or one that's following me around. Yeah, she sounds as if half of her head is still in the sand, and the other half is overly loyal to all that Waco Kool Aid. But one thing I love about this country is that this is the land of second chances. I think the Kim critics should perhaps just step off a bit. Everyone just seems to be piling on. Okay, maybe it's just the old man in me, but her hurt is resonating with me, and it's breaking my heart.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I'm ambivalent about whether we should continue to go after Mulkey for this, but that picture of her that Huffington chose to post is just unfair journalism. It looks like she just finished with a perk walk, which is the effect they wanted.

We often agree on such things, but I have to diverge from you here. What is wrong with that article is that it needed to be written. We can agree to disagree.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
"I coach with emotion; I played with emotion," she said. (From article and video of tearful apology)

She may say she is sorry for her choice of words or for her poor choice in analogy but I sure hope she never, ever apologizes for her emotion as a coach. It's what makes Kim, well Kim. And it's a huge part of her success. IMHO, of course.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
"I coach with emotion; I played with emotion," she said. (From article and video of tearful apology)

She may say she is sorry for her choice of words or for her poor choice in analogy but I sure hope she never, ever apologizes for her emotion as a coach. It's what makes Kim, well Kim. And it's a huge part of her success. IMHO, of course.
And a huge part, IMHO, of her on court failures. With Mulkey if you bought the horse you get the tail too.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Look, I am not a licensed psychologist but her qualifying this as a reason is "not accepting blame" but explaining her rationale. That is not going to allow for true change. Having a 3rd party qualify "that Kim is helping a student athlete in her sexual assault" is just unnecessary pandering for added sympathy.

All said, I completely agree with JordyG, we are a land of second chances and she has been scrutinized pretty heavily that we should defer to her actions now and see how they are. We should forgive but never forget.

Reaction Score
One can only imagine what forces were brought on Kim to turn her from being petulant Kim at the last post-game press conference two days ago into the tearful, quaking, nearly wordless, obviously wrought Kim I saw yesterday. Whew!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
One can only imagine what forces were brought on Kim to turn her from being petulant Kim at the last post-game press conference two days ago into the tearful, quaking, nearly wordless, obviously wrought Kim I saw yesterday. Whew!

It's a pretty amazing decent - from tone-deaf insensitive pugnaciousness to sorry-for-herself tears.

I have little sympathy for her and plenty for the victims (and future victims) she threw under the bus. She showed herself not to be leader but a selfish coward.

Reaction Score
...But she's human guys, we all screw up, and I feel for her. I glad there isn't a camera/microphone that I occasionally have to grab, or one that's following me around. Yeah, she sounds as if half of her head is still in the sand, and the other half is overly loyal to all that Waco Kool Aid. But one thing I love about this country is that this is the land of second chances. I think the Kim critics should perhaps just step off a bit. Everyone just seems to be piling on. Okay, maybe it's just the old man in me, but her hurt is resonating with me, and it's breaking my heart.
I don't feel sorry for her. I think her "hurt" is from being publicly chastised by her peers and industry colleagues, not from any genuine remorse. She's pissed off that her competitors are using Baylor's football/athletic department rape culture against her in recruiting, and she really does feel those competitor recruiters should get "knocked right in the face." I'm fine giving her a second chance as soon a she says something that indicates she actually "gets it."

Reaction Score
Questions for statisticians here.
Mulkey has won 500 games so far in 17 yrs.
What are her chances of reaching 700, 800 and 900 games faster than Geno?
Is that a reason she does not schedule games with us?

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Questions for statisticians here.
Mulkey has won 500 games so far in 17 yrs.
What are her chances of reaching 700, 800 and 900 games faster than Geno?
Is that a reason she does not schedule games with us?
Mulkey is not the only coach who does this, but I do believe she tends to assemble a much tougher schedule in years when she expects to have a really good team. That's why Baylor's out-of-conference schedule this year had a few formidable opponents, whereas last year it was basically a joke.

Anyway, Geno reached win #600 in his 716th game, so Mulkey (now 501-94) would need to go only 99-22 to match that. Oddly, Geno followed that win with a bunch of successive 100-6 stretches: win #700 came in his 822nd game, win #800 in his 928th game, and win #900 in his 1034th game. So, Mulkey would have to go 199-28 to reach her 700th win as quickly, 299-34 to reach her 800th win as quickly, and 399-40 to reach her 900th win as quickly.

SOURCE

Reaction Score
I watched the apology and had the feeling i had seen this before-then I remembered where Anne of Green Gables to Racheal Lynde.
A forced apology.

TOTALLY different! Rachel Lynde didn't deserve it. (Also, Gilbert Blythe barely deserved one-- except he didn't truly know what he had done.)

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Anybody remember Jimmy Swaggart's tearful "apology/performance?" Same genre. No real understanding of why the actions were wrong, just some basic cosmetics being applied to the event, and regret stemming from getting caught and being chastised. Having "regrets" for some action is not the same as asking forgiveness or truly apologizing. On the other hand, I am not sure Kim has the capacity to understand what I am saying here anyway. She is an embarrassment, but at Baylor, one would have thought that another embarrassment would simply go unnoticed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom