Mulkey’s Magic Method | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mulkey’s Magic Method

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't LSU the team with a certain player (Reese) that licks fingers when a three is made or otherwise...and would this action be construed as a form of disrespect to opposing teams?
I saw Reese in a game where she got an offensive rebound and put back, then immediately made a gesture that the player she did this to was "too short". Why this wasn't considered taunting, I will never understand. It was definitely disrespectful. But then again, it is known that certain "stars" (and coaches) are treated differently.

Reaction Score
This is an irony, to be sure. The team culture there allows for taunting opponents, especially as they’re losing. I despise teams and coaches that allow it.
I agree. It would be difficult for me to ever cheer for LSU and Kim because of this reason. Also LSU with Kim’s knowledge put up a Final 4 billboard less than 2 miles from Baylor’s campus. This was unnecessary and classless. To say the least, Baylor fans are not happy.

sun

Reaction Score
Thought perhaps this post might be about how she selects her wardrobe for each game…:):):).
I think with her wardrobe choices she is punking us.

In a recent presser, Mulkey said that she agreed to wear wardrobe items for the NCAAT that were custom made & supplied to her by a designer free of charge.
The items are not Kim's choice, they're just the result of the agreement that she made.
So far it looks like the items have brought LSU good luck.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The thing for me and LSU's schedule issue but the so called experts is, the schedule was completed before the roster was put together. Had LSU lost at any point in their nonconference leg, the so called experts would have been calling LSU and Coach Mulkey "Overrated"

Bottom line, you schedule who you can schedule. Sometimes the dates and times match with some teams and some times they don't. You get who you can.

Reaction Score
I still feel like the committee hardly punished LSU enough for their cupcake schedule. That and a few lucky upsets (like Iowa over SC) did the trick. Mulkey played her cards right and managed to be successful this year, I’ll give her that. But I know I wouldn’t want UConn to spend the whole season playing cupcakes. I’d rather lose to good teams than beat up on some 200-300 ranked teams all season. Boring.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Looks like Mulkey’s approach to scheduling worked pretty well. Proved that a tough or even mediocre non-conference schedule is not necessary. You can criticize the process, but you need to admire the results! Be interesting to see if others copy the model!!
I said the same thing in the chat room during the game. I wonder how many folks will criticize her scheduling cupcakes in the preseason now. As I said before...."it works for her."!! I also wonder why so many fans dislike Mulkey. She's a great coach who knows the game and knows how to get the best from her players. Yeah, she spends more time on the floor than her players, but that's on the referees to control. I also agree that Angel Reese needs to grow up and mature. It would enhance her "NIL" opportunities going forward.

I wonder how many brackets had these two teams in the final championship game? :rolleyes: All of the 1 seeds were gone after the semi-final game. How often does that happen? LSU was a 3 seed in the tournament. That's why I don't really care about seeding. Just play the teams in front of you, win, and advance.

Two things happened today. ALL of the incentive clauses in her contract kicked in for winning the NC, it will now be a whole lot easier for her to recruit/attract elite players from high school and the portal to LSU. They're the reigning national champions. Recruits and transfers are attracted to winning programs. ;) I think LSU will be competitive for a while. I don't think Kim is going away anytime soon.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I said the same thing in the chat room during the game. I wonder how many folks will criticize her scheduling cupcakes in the preseason now. As I said before...."it works for her."!! I also wonder why so many fans dislike Mulkey. She's a great coach who knows the game and knows how to get the best from her players. Yeah, she spends more time on the floor than her players, but that's on the referees to control. I also agree that Angel Reese needs to grow up and mature. It would enhance her "NIL" opportunities going forward.

I wonder how many brackets had these two teams in the final championship game? :rolleyes: All of the 1 seeds were gone after the semi-final game. How often does that happen? LSU was a 3 seed in the tournament. That's why I don't really care about seeding. Just play the teams in front of you, win, and advance.

Two things happened today. ALL of the incentive clauses in her contract kicked in for winning the NC, it will now be a whole lot easier for her to recruit/attract elite players from high school and the portal to LSU. They're the reigning national champions. Recruits and transfers are attracted to winning programs. ;) I think LSU will be competitive for a while. I don't think Kim is going away anytime soon.
Yep, LSU and by extension its alums were already pouring funds into the program...can only imagine how much their collective will have to work with now

Reaction Score
She's really a great coach. I remembered UConn was nearby eliminated by Baylor two years ago. She brings culture to her teams wherever she goes.

Reaction Score
LSU complaining other people don't respect them is hilarious at best. LSU should be embarrassed that Angel Reese is wearing their uniform. Despicable behavior yesterday. She proved that the criticism about her behavior and character were absolutely true.

Reaction Score
Mulkey’s Final Four success rate is pretty incredible. Not at the same level as Geno, obviously, but she’s won the tournament 4 out of the 5 times her teams have made the Final Four. Her teams tend to either flame out early or go all the way.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yeah, to be honest, I think Griner’s relative underachievement in college may have more to do with her than with Mulkey. I recently watched the famous Baylor-Louisville game and I was shocked at how lackadaisical Griner was. Sims almost won that game for Baylor on her own but had no help that day.
Brittney’s college career overlapped both Maya Moore and Breanna Stewart so UConn got two of her potential 4 championships. Gary Blair and Texas A&M got the third

Carnac

Reaction Score
Looks like Mulkey’s approach to scheduling worked pretty well. Proved that a tough or even mediocre non-conference schedule is not necessary. You can criticize the process, but you need to admire the results! Be interesting to see if others copy the model!!
I'll be looking to see if anyone criticizes her this summer. If they do, I can see Kim doing an imitation of Angel Reese:

1681331557789.png

Fans have been "lambasting" her for years because she routinely schedules teams ranked 270 and higher, i.e., cupcakes if you will.
She did it at Baylor for years, now she's doing it at LSU. At one time I chastised her too, but then I began to look at it from a coach's point of view. That is when I began to see the benefits of a weak, non-competitive preseason schedule. Yes, there are benefits to playing weak schedules, Kim proved that this season.

A weak schedule gives Kim 11 or so games to bring her new recruits/transfers up to speed on learning the plays and learning to play with their new teammates under different circumstances in a regulation game BEFORE conference play begins. There are some things you can't replicate in a practice session. So she uses games to do what she wants to be done.

I've responded many times to folks who call Kim out for weak out-of-conference (OOC) schedules, that those schedules work for her.
I don't think Kim loses sleep at night worrying about what we think. Does she really look like that type of coach to you? :confused: Are those types of schedules "one size fits all", no. For reasons that are obvious if you are a UConn fan. Every coach in America likes to do things "THEIR" way, not Kim's way. ;)

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yep, LSU and by extension its alums were already pouring funds into the program...can only imagine how much their collective will have to work with now
That's right!!! I'll bet you a hotdog and a Dr. Pepper (I can't stand Coca-cola) that Kim gets a high-profile player (or two) from the portal this spring. She has that type of pull and magnetism. :)

Reaction Score
I'll be looking to see if anyone criticizes her this summer. If they do, I can see Kim doing an imitation of Angel Reese:

View attachment 87279

Fans have been "lambasting" her for years because she routinely schedules teams ranked 270 and higher, i.e., cupcakes if you will.
She did it at Baylor for years, now she's doing it at LSU. At one time I chastised her too, but then I began to look at it from a coach's point of view. That is when I began to see the benefits of a weak, non-competitive preseason schedule. Yes, there are benefits to playing weak schedules, Kim proved that this season.

A weak schedule gives Kim 11 or so games to bring her new recruits/transfers up to speed on learning the plays and learning to play with their new teammates under different circumstances in a regulation game BEFORE conference play begins. There are some things you can't replicate in a practice session. So she uses games to do what she wants to be done.

I've responded many times to folks who call Kim out for weak out-of-conference (OOC) schedules, that those schedules work for her.
I don't think Kim loses sleep at night worrying about what we think. Does she really look like that type of coach to you? :confused: Are those types of schedules "one size fits all", no. For reasons that are obvious if you are a UConn fan. Every coach in America likes to do things "THEIR" way, not Kim's way. ;)
This year's NC game MOP should be Alexis Morris but Angel Ressse stole this title because she made more noise. ( And more mascaras )

Reaction Score
I'll be looking to see if anyone criticizes her this summer.
Most of the criticism last November and December wasn't about whether it was good coaching -- it clearly wasn't bad coaching -- but about whether the rankings overestimated what LSU had achieved by that point. Of course, rankings aren't only about what a team has achieved. it's also a forecast of what they might go on to achieve.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I could care less about her schedule… how anyone can play for her is beyond me
You're not looking at her through the eyes of a 16-20-year-old "wide-eyed" female BB player. She and Dawn have an appeal to some of those girls Geno never has, and never will. Geno does not have to appeal to everyone, just the ones he recruits. As a player, it just depends on what you want in a coach/mentor. I could be wayyyy off base here, but I think Aneesah Morrow could wound up there. She persuaded Angel Reese to come to LSU. Maybe just maybe Kim and LSU have the flavor of the month Morrow is looking for. Time will tell. :cool:

Reaction Score
This year's NC game MOP should be Alexis Morris but Angel Ressse stole this title because she made more noise. ( And more mascaras )
The MOP is awarded for the tournament not the NC game. If you watched all the games and/or looked at stats, Angel was MOP. 6 double doubles. She showed up every game. Alexis definitely showed up in the last 3 games but not so much in first 3. Alexis struggled with that all year. If they gave an award for player of game for the NC game, I'd choose Jasmine Carson. She won the game for LSU in the second quarter.

Reaction Score
The MOP is awarded for the tournament not the NC game. If you watched all the games and/or looked at stats, Angel was MOP. 6 double doubles. She showed up every game. Alexis definitely showed up in the last 3 games but not so much in first 3. Alexis struggled with that all year. If they gave an award for player of game for the NC game, I'd choose Jasmine Carson. She won the game for LSU in the second quarter.
My post said "This year's NC game MOP should be Alexis Morris". I specially mention it is the NC game,. No one says the MOP (most outstanding player) is only for the tournament and cannot be for the NC game. I think you know exactly what my post means.

I have my opinion and you have your opinion & we respect each.... eom

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I guess the Griner situation didn't affect her recruiting
Recruiting? She's going to make recruiting obsolete. Just go to the portal and get what you need. Center, check. Wing, check. Guard, check. Done and dusted.

Reaction Score
You're not looking at her through the eyes of a 16-20-year-old "wide-eyed" female BB player. She and Dawn have an appeal to some of those girls Geno never has, and never will. Geno does not have to appeal to everyone, just the ones he recruits. As a player, it just depends on what you want in a coach/mentor. I could be wayyyy off base here, but I think Aneesah Morrow could wound up there. She persuaded Angel Reese to come to LSU. Maybe just maybe Kim and LSU have the flavor of the month Morrow is looking for. Time will tell. :cool:
I would be interested to see chemistry between Morrow and Reese. There could be some issues there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom