Muffet | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Muffet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Mind over matter.
We no longer mind, cause Muffet no longer matters.
Expect more anti-UCONN, gloating tripe until the Huskies resume their rightful place at the pinnacle of WCBB.
Every dog has it's day

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't see the big deal in this interview. She just defending wbb as a whole. Can't tell me there isn't bias with Espn and Uconn, good lord couldn't go a weekly Summers show without Paige "espys, a summer lg game, even when Suggs was drafted they had to bring her on which I just thought was unnecessary and too much." Also at the end of the interview she says "we wanted to be where Uconn is at when we joined the Big East." Also Espn doesn't hate Muffett, she goes on SVP and I see her covering wbb for the Acc network which is owned by Espn.
Yes, the ACC Network is owned by ESPN, and ESPN is owned by Disney. But just as Disney does not dictate editorial content to ESPN, ESPN does not dictate editorial content to ACCN.

In addition, MM’s free-wheeling commentary is from the safe confines of her home. She’s not sitting at a desk in Bristol, CT or Charlotte, NC, where the ACCN maintains broadcasting studios, with other announcers, who presumably would be more disciplined in their commentary.

Reaction Score
Yes, the ACC Network is owned by ESPN, and ESPN is owned by Disney. But just as Disney does not dictate editorial content to ESPN, ESPN does not dictate editorial content to ACCN.

In addition, MM’s free-wheeling commentary is from the safe confines of her home. She’s not sitting at a desk in Bristol, CT or Charlotte, NC, where the ACCN maintains broadcasting studios, with other announcers, who presumably would be more disciplined in their commentary.
if we don't see her on the ACC network again we'll know why.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
English has an adjective hand-crafted especially for the once
mighty muffet:

churlish (adj.)​

late Old English cierlisc "of or pertaining to churls," from churl + -ish. Meaning "deliberately rude, surly and sullen" is late 14c. Related: Churlishly; churlishness.

FE2A32C1-0E73-4159-97BB-D653A9082389.jpeg

Reaction Score
I still can't believe people think that Geno quote from Sunday was a shot at Muffet. As if Muffet is on Geno's mind minutes after losing a close game to a top 10 team. When conspiracy theories meet WCBB I guess. In contrast Muffet perpetuates the myth that Geno is some shadowy figure sitting in a smoky back room pulling the marionette strings of all things women's basketball from college all the way up to the Olympic level. Makes me wonder what percentage of people involved in this game are just nuts and need an intervention.

Reaction Score
Do y’all understand that this lady is trying her best to stay relevant??? UCONN has a permanent Air B&B her head!!!! I love it and I’m here for it. Every time she or anyone mentions UCONN, it’s less work for the school when it comes to recruiting. Is she married or have any kids or grandkids to occupy her time???
Excellent assessment of Muffet and what is driving her at times bizzare comments. I would add that each time she can shift the narrative over to UConn and its role in her mind as the evil empire, she hopes there will be less questions regarding her last few years at Notre Dame and how she let her program plummet into the dregs of womens college basketball.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm not interested in excusing her behavior, the Stewie brush-off was unforgivable (among many things), an ungracious winner, horrible loser...

But isn't that the point; some people are wired to win, can't accept losing...

Geno wasn't particularly gracious the other day...surprised me, I thought he would have been pleased at how the team competed (as did most of this forum); instead he dwelled on their shooting themselves in the foot. And after the Georgia game...negativity piled on negativity.

Perhaps a little unfair, but can you imagine Dawn when she gets a clunker team.

Muffit just hasn't been able to let go, comprehend her career in its entirety.
Too bad for her.

A great coach, was wonderful to her kids, a total disaster in her fears, anguish, and insecurities.

Reaction Score
Well, I guess that job as a talking head on ESPN is out now, huh? Odd that ESPN didn’t snap her up the second she retired. Andy Landers, Carolyn Peck, LaChina Robinson, all former coaches, have made a pretty good living and gotten a lot of shine for their work. Should be an appealing job for a former coach.
Robinson was an assistant in charge of recruiting for one year. Does that really qualify as a former coach in the company of Landers and Peck? Besides, she is a studio host, not an analyst.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Robinson was an assistant in charge of recruiting for one year. Does that really qualify as a former coach in the company of Landers and Peck? Besides, she is a studio host, not an analyst.
I stand corrected on the coach, I had thought she was an assistant head coach. As for the analyst, ESPN seems to think she’s one.

My goodness but you do love to point out errors, don’t you?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think we should try to view this from Muffet‘s viewpoint. We don’t know what’s going on in her life. Maybe she was anticipating that this would be a live interview and she would get a chance to get out of the house and go into the studio. Maybe they have really good muffins and she was looking forward to them. We don’t know.

Maybe Miss Muffet was miffed because she missed her muffins. Should we give her a Mulligan?

[whispers] i’ll just see myself out.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I can ignore a lot. Muffet was a great coach, for sure.

But I will never, ever forgive her for not applauding when Stewie won the MOP. I think this was Stewie's junior year.

OK, you want to hate Geno. Be my guest. Geno is an acquired taste. But to be far less than gracious to a student athlete? And to someone as sweet as Stewie? That is baseless and base.

I never think about her. She is not worth it.
Irony of ironies and come-uppance all in one: Jewell Lyod , Stewie's team mate

Reaction Score
I'm not interested in excusing her behavior, the Stewie brush-off was unforgivable (among many things), an ungracious winner, horrible loser...

But isn't that the point; some people are wired to win, can't accept losing...

Geno wasn't particularly gracious the other day...surprised me, I thought he would have been pleased at how the team competed (as did most of this forum); instead he dwelled on their shooting themselves in the foot. And after the Georgia game...negativity piled on negativity.

Perhaps a little unfair, but can you imagine Dawn when she gets a clunker team.

Muffit just hasn't been able to let go, comprehend her career in its entirety.
Too bad for her.

A great coach, was wonderful to her kids, a total disaster in her fears, anguish, and insecurities.

Muffet was a very good coach, and recruiter. She was one of the better coaches at teaching match up zone, which is very hard to play against if done well. Personally, I lost a lot of respect for her and her program when Arike Ogunbowale put on quite a display of unsportsmanlike behavior in the game where she undercut CW, got a technical for her interaction with GA, and topped it off with a horrendous body check on Crystal Dangerfield at mid court which was right in front of the ND bench. She wasn’t removed from the game until she committed another unsportsmanlike foul on CD when she objected to being pressured in the backcourt. Of course she made up for all of this by refusing to shake hands or acknowledge GA in the postgame line. Most of the coaches I have interacted with would have had the hook out after the first of these, not the last.

JMO

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There was a moment in an NCAA telecast in the early 2000s that I found all telling about Muffet's personality. UConn was playing in the night game and ND had won the early game. The camera was panning around (time out? end of quarter?) and the color person spotted Muffet watching from the player/team tunnel. I suppose Muffet saw herself on the big screen, and she did a slither into the darkness of the tunnel. She didn't want to be seen studying UConn before they met. She was too jealous to actually be seen to be caught watching Geno work. The look on her face I will never forget. A baleful glare.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
I almost feel sorry for MM. She is lost right now. Her long and successful tenure at ND ended badly, and I suspect prematurely, including several stunning emotional outbursts. Now, like many of us, she’s sitting at home, constrained and frustrated by a pandemic that seems endless, and she wants to be relevant again.

MM isn’t Andy Landers or Carolyn Peck. She doesn’t have the personality or ability to present a “non-biased” view of WBB, at least not until she is able to get over whatever bitterness she still holds in her heart.

I would also add that in a perverse kind of way, MM is jealous that ND has moved on under Niele Ivey, who’s picked up the pieces of the wreck that MM left her and quickly started to rebuild WBB in South Bend. Maybe she thought that everyone would appreciate her more if ND WBB crashed and burned under her successor.

Muffet is Ivey's biggest cheerleader. There is no animosity there. Ivey is like a daughter to Muffet.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I still can't believe people think that Geno quote from Sunday was a shot at Muffet. As if Muffet is on Geno's mind minutes after losing a close game to a top 10 team. When conspiracy theories meet WCBB I guess. In contrast Muffet perpetuates the myth that Geno is some shadowy figure sitting in a smoky back room pulling the marionette strings of all things women's basketball from college all the way up to the Olympic level. Makes me wonder what percentage of people involved in this game are just nuts and need an intervention.
Who else is the quote in reference to then? He clearly has someone (or multiple coaches) in mind. And considering their history it doesn't seem far fetched that it's Muffet, especially since she fits the description perfectly and there's not one else in women's basketball who fits the scenario he's describing.

Reaction Score
Who else is the quote in reference to then? He clearly has someone (or multiple coaches) in mind. And considering their history it doesn't seem far fetched that it's Muffet, especially since she fits the description perfectly and there's not one else in women's basketball who fits the scenario he's describing.
Where in the press conference did Geno mention Muffet or Notre Dame?

Reaction Score
I stand corrected on the coach, I had thought she was an assistant head coach. As for the analyst, ESPN seems to think she’s one.

My goodness but you do love to point out errors, don’t you?
I stand corrected. I’ve only seen her hosting. Thanks for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom