Muffet McGraw stepping down (merged threads) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Muffet McGraw stepping down (merged threads)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We heard that Jamelle accepted the position reluctantly, and mostly out of a sense of loyalty. I don't know if she'll be back or what will happen with Jasmine. Stay tuned and be patient. Don't assume anything.

Reaction Score
Have not been on the Boneyard for couple days...wow, this is an unexpected turn of events. Never would have guesses this happening in a million years. Not the way a coach wants to go out after the seasons she just had.

Reaction Score
I didn't really think of ND as a women's basketball threat at any point, even after making the FF in 1997. In 2001 I remember being surprised they dismantled an excellent UConn team in January. The team that won the 2001 NC was an excellent one but I have said I will always believe UConn wins if Svet and Shea were healthy.

Then I almost forgot ND existed for a decade in the sport. The decade was one of DT, some great ACC teams, Parker, and the arrival of Maya. I was in the in the process of moving when Diggins and ND defeated UConn in 2011 and was in total shock but missed the games. Count me as one of those who liked Diggins as a player for her fire, competitiveness, and the next couple of seasons were fun to watch as the two squads went back and forth and what I found the most fun is ND wasn't scared of UConn, but even after ND won in back to back final fours did I think they had surpassed the Huskies in terms of being "the" program. I almost cried when Arike's shot went in at the buzzer to win the NC but I knew our team had their chances and failed to capitalize with a lead while ND kept pounding. I didn't hate them for winning but it will always be as disappointed as I've ever been at the end of a game.

We all knew ND wasn't going to be a FF team in 2019-20 even if they had stayed healthy and not had some strange transfers that are common now. It was clear during the year Muffet wasn't enjoying herself. The head coach is ultimately responsible for the team but when I watch I saw nothing that resembled the team the last decade. None of us know as of this minute exactly why Muffet retired. We may learn later today, we may never know. I get there is no love lost for ND on this board and can understand it. However, anyone who coached with as much success as long as Muffet did deserves respect as a competitor and contributor to the game. One thing is for sure: if we have a season as we all hope next year there is at least one rivalry that will have a totally different feel to it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We heard that Jamelle accepted the position reluctantly, and mostly out of a sense of loyalty. I don't know if she'll be back or what will happen with Jasmine. Stay tuned and be patient. Don't assume anything.
Yes, after Cincinnati inexplicably let her go, Jamelle was understandably reluctant to return to coaching. But when I saw her do a leaping chest bump into a stunned Liv, almost knocking her on the floor, I kind of suspect Jamelle remembered what she loved about coaching in the first place. Stay tuned indeed.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Niele Ivey Right Hire: Niele Ivey is the right choice for Notre Dame women's basketball coach

Watching Notre Dame this season, something was missing. It had more to do than just losing all five starters from that 2019 national runner-up team to the WNBA over the summer. There was something else. An X factor. The Irish played and competed and gave effort, but they just didn’t seem to have that edge, an edge that Ivey had long offered.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Losing Jamelle next year is going to really hurt! The team ABSOLUTELY gained a chip on their shoulder and a toughness when Jamelle stepped in. ONO developed more in the 2nd half of last season than she had in her first year and a half in Storrs. I know there is a lot more to this story that will be kept behind the scenes, and rightfully so, but I am just bummed that Elliott will not be on the bench next season.

We know nothing of Jas's absence. I just fine with that because it is none of our business.

Jamelle may have been reluctant to return to coaching in any aspect because of her experience with Cincy. This past season's stint may change her mind. There is no doubt she was into it big time.

Some have coaching in their veins. I believe Jamelle is one of those. The fire is still there.

And none of us know what will happen. But I'm not discounting the possibility that Jamelle will be on the bench this coming season.

Reaction Score
Yes, after Cincinnati inexplicably let her go, Jamelle was understandably reluctant to return to coaching. But when I saw her do a leaping chest bump into a stunned Liv, almost knocking her on the floor, I kind of suspect Jamelle remembered what she loved about coaching in the first place. Stay tuned indeed.
While I hope Jamelle comes back as an assistant, if she truly loves coaching, this is likely a short term assignment. She is too talented to sit behind Geno for several more years and the big money UConn pays may not be her primary motivation. There are many great assistants out there. UConn better to grab one who would be around for several years and be a consistent voice in the recruiting process.

Reaction Score
There were some down years in Chapel Hill before Williams came on board... same with Kentucky and Calipari.
There definitely were. At Kentucky Tubby Smith won the NC in his first year, 1998, with Pitino's leftover team, but there were 14 years until the next one under Calipari. Of course, Bill Guthridge followed Dean Smith and made the FF two out of his three years but Matt Doherty was a disaster. Roy Williams has won 3 NCs since 2003. Perhaps the takeaway is that the new coach is the most important factor but the past basketball history of the school and its visibility as a brand name for the sport and what is has to offer recruits by way of facilities, administrative support, etc. is also very important. For example, Rick Pitino is not going to win a NC at Iona but if he were at a place that was all about basketball you would stay tuned. I just think that there is a serious lag in the recruiting trail at ND and that the resurgence, if it does come, is years away. Muffet was a Naismith HF coach with a proven track record of her players going to the WNBA, Europe and in some cases, the Olympics. Her players knew that she knew had to get them to the FF, the NC game( she had 9) and beyond in their careers after college.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is no doubt that Niele Ivey is both the obvious choice as well as the correct choice to replace MM. But a reminder to all, HW was both the obvious and correct choice to replace Pat. Both Ivie & HW served as the right-hand to their legendary mentors and both were outstanding recruiters.

There is a significant difference between being a HC and an assistant. Some like Geno, can seemingly make that transition seamlessly. Others like HW never quite get there.

It is my sincere hope that Ivie is successful, because I love the edge of your seat battles between the Huskies and the Irish every year. Honestly, UConn’s blowout win this past year was something of a letdown.

I hope the life and death battles with ND continue for many years to come. I also hope the the Huskies come out on top in every single game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Anyone else feel like Muffet's departure requires a "Paul Harvey" moment? "And, now... the ... rest ... of ...the ... story. I am curious why Muffet chose to leave/was asked to leave to suddenly. She absolutely did not look happy last season, so she could have just decided to retire, of course she was so despondent and demonstrative, maybe there is more to it than that.

Just curious.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I wouldn't expect anyone to leave over this coaching change............. Ivey is an excellent recruiter and was always thought to be the coach in waiting.........if anything I'd expect ND to be more competitive in recruiting in the future and that includes Azzi Fudd..............

Extensive reach-outs by South Bend-based media found sadness that McGraw is leaving but relief and excitement that Niele Ivey is back. Like you said, every one of the 2020 (and looking to the future, 2021) recruits and./or prospects had been vetted by Ivey (she was only "gone" 9 months). Here's a quote from Nat Marshall, who Ivey spent months visiting in Queens, NYC:

"Coach McGraw announced her retirement to our team earlier today, and as we were briefly left in shock and sadness, that feeling transitioned to joy as she told us that Coach Ivey would be our new head coach," Natalija Marshall, the No. 19 ranked player in 2020, said. "Not only am I extremely grateful to have known and built a relationship with Coach McGraw, but I am equally as grateful that I have the ability to be coached by another Notre Dame great. Coach Ivey is someone that I deeply respect and admire and there is not an ounce of regret or reconsideration in me for choosing Notre Dame. We lost a three time Naismith Coach of the Year in Coach McGraw, but we gained another extraordinary woman and coach with winning values and the willingness to do whatever it takes to win. I am extremely excited to learn and grow under Coach Ivey and her staff."

And to say the least, Skylar Diggins is juiced. As a young, relatively new assistant coach, Ivey was tasked with pursuing this young high schooler on South Bend's West Side. They've remained exceedingly tight since then. Diggins is a regular in ND's new gym to work out. Expect even more of that.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Wow, so Skylar just threw some serious shade at her former head coach, basically saying no one wanted to transfer to play for Muffet. :cool:

All depends on how you look at it. :)
As mentioned, Sky is close to MM and exceedingly close to Ivey and (probably...huh!) has some strong ideas on what kind of player would like/love to play for Niele (as opposed to MM).

ND has a history of having very straightforward talking coaches and players who sometimes don't bother with context that well! ;)

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Hmmm, sounds like a little rule bending could be going on at the golden dome. Just sayin.

Hah! :rolleyes: Context please (given the circumstances of the last 18 hours, I've probably written more posts than in the last three months combine). What was this dangling statement attached to?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
The Romans said that Storrs would be the capital of college basketball? Well that was prescient of them.

I didn't know Storrs was Latin in derivation? ;) On the other hand, I wouldn't blame Geno for using the "Veni, Vidi, Vici" line at speaking engagements....

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
All depends on how you look at it. :)
As mentioned, Sky is close to MM and exceedingly close to Ivey and (probably...huh!) has some strong ideas on what kind of player would like/love to play for her (as opposed to MM).
ND has a history of having very straightforward talking coaches and players who sometimes don't bother with context that well! ;)
Eh, I see Skylar tweet a ton of nonsense. Big on fluff, short on substance. Par for her course.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
This news gets a "WOW" from me, dawg.

With no hoops next season anyway what was she going to do?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wow, so Skylar just threw some serious shade at her former head coach, basically saying no one wanted to transfer to play for Muffet. :cool:
This also ( perhaps inadvertently) throws major shade on the 5 ND incoming freshman and the returning players.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This thread has taken some interesting twists and turns from the various comments made. Instead of "replying to each of those "curious comments" I will try to point out some of the counterpoints to them in one post.

#1. Niele Ivey is NOTHING like Holly Warlick other than being an ND assistant for a long time. It was Pat's decision to have Holly succeed her and there were objections to that but everyone deferred to Pat. It is clear by how Niele comports herself in the few interviews I have seen of her, she is more fluent and media savvy than Holly ever was or ever will be. Plus, ND always had an offense whereas Tenn NEVER had an offense so that alone will give a leg up to Niele. Whether she can actually coach a game or has to learn on the spot and understand what a "time-out" is, has yet to be seen. TO's are something Holly always struggled with using and at times so did MM.
2. Men's basketball (and Football) are more mature sports (from the 30'/40's) in the NCAA and have more parity so when a "great coach" leaves, other schools can instantly fill that void. And if that school is notorious for cheating (Kentucky/UCLA) than the fall from elite can happen quickly. Note I didn't say NC as I don't think the cheating occurred until Roy arrived and he turned a "blind eye" to it. We are at an interesting phase in WCBB as parity is now apparent and the first set of trail blazers are retired, retiring or about to retire (Barmore, Conradt, Summitt, McGraw, Blair, Vanderveer, Auriemma) so the next wave of successors is still trying to validate itself. Lady Techsters have failed mostly due to not being a P5 where as Tenn failed or is failing due to 2 main components, Pat's choice in hand picked assistant to lead and the fact her program always lacked an offensive flow and will doom Kelli Harper, in my estimation. Texas is struggling but is throwing money at the problem. ND is choosing one of it's own to keep the ship righted. Time will tell.
3. Not sure why Azzi Fudd would NOW reconsider ND given her aspiration to be an elite pro-player as this current version of the coach (Ivey) and the current construct of the team is unproven or worse, not good. How will that help her evolve? That's not to say Ivey won't eventually make an impact, I just don't think it will be within the next year or two due to a lack of elite players on the roster. Now if she gets some elite transfers, than maybe. Mik Vaughn, Anaya Peoples, Abby Prohaska and Sam Brunelle are all nice complimentary parts to team with 2 bona fide stars, which ND is clearly lacking. If the goal is to beat UConn, than this current rendition is really lacking. It will take 2, 3 or 4 years so would Fudd want to wait until she's a senior? Not buying it. I am not saying UConn if a foregone conclusion (it is though ;) ) just that ND is not the smart choice to beat UConn during her first 2 or 3 years. Stanford, SC, Baylor are all more logical destinations.

I like the choice ND made, it's logical, it's safe, it maintains the fan base, alumni, maintains or improves recruiting and satisfies the old coach. It may even stop the hemorrhage of transfers out that has plagued ND. It's just an "unknown" from a results perspective as Ivey has never run her own program.

Continue as you were...

Reaction Score
I didn't really think of ND as a women's basketball threat at any point, even after making the FF in 1997. In 2001 I remember being surprised they dismantled an excellent UConn team in January. The team that won the 2001 NC was an excellent one but I have said I will always believe UConn wins if Svet and Shea were healthy.

Then I almost forgot ND existed for a decade in the sport. The decade was one of DT, some great ACC teams, Parker, and the arrival of Maya. I was in the in the process of moving when Diggins and ND defeated UConn in 2011 and was in total shock but missed the games. Count me as one of those who liked Diggins as a player for her fire, competitiveness, and the next couple of seasons were fun to watch as the two squads went back and forth and what I found the most fun is ND wasn't scared of UConn, but even after ND won in back to back final fours did I think they had surpassed the Huskies in terms of being "the" program. I almost cried when Arike's shot went in at the buzzer to win the NC but I knew our team had their chances and failed to capitalize with a lead while ND kept pounding. I didn't hate them for winning but it will always be as disappointed as I've ever been at the end of a game.

We all knew ND wasn't going to be a FF team in 2019-20 even if they had stayed healthy and not had some strange transfers that are common now. It was clear during the year Muffet wasn't enjoying herself. The head coach is ultimately responsible for the team but when I watch I saw nothing that resembled the team the last decade. None of us know as of this minute exactly why Muffet retired. We may learn later today, we may never know. I get there is no love lost for ND on this board and can understand it. However, anyone who coached with as much success as long as Muffet did deserves respect as a competitor and contributor to the game. One thing is for sure: if we have a season as we all hope next year there is at least one rivalry that will have a totally different feel to it.
And maybe Uconn loses 1 if Jayne Appel doesn't get hurt...and maybe Buffalo wins a super bowl if the field goal is not wide right..

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Anyone else feel like Muffet's departure requires a "Paul Harvey" moment? "And, now... the ... rest ... of ...the ... story. I am curious why Muffet chose to leave/was asked to leave to suddenly. She absolutely did not look happy last season, so she could have just decided to retire, of course she was so despondent and demonstrative, maybe there is more to it than that.

Just curious.

Hey there:
Here's an article by long-time Irish sports writer (Blue and Gold) Lou Somgyi that addresses a few of your questions and takes on some other issues as well. Hope it helps. He's very up-front about the recruiting issues that have hit ND the last few years....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom