MSOC 2016 And so it begins | The Boneyard

MSOC 2016 And so it begins

jho

Reaction Score
NO. 16 UCONN OPENS SEASON VS. IONA, OMAHA

STORRS, Conn. - Beginning its quest for a 17th NCAA tournament berth in 18 seasons, the No. 16 UConn men's soccer team kicks off its 2016 regular season slate with a pair of weekend games at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium. The Huskies open the season against Iona (Aug. 26) at 7 p.m. before a quick turnaround with Nebraska-Omaha (Aug. 28) and 7 p.m. Admission is free for all UConn students with a valid ID.

Fans who are unable to attend the contest can keep up with the action via a radio broadcast on WHUS.org, 91.7 FM or live stats.

UConn enters its fourth season in the American Athletic Conference and looks to improve on a 10-6-6 overall record from a season ago. In late June, 20th-year Husky head coach Ray Reid announced that upperclassmen Jake Nerwinski (Lawrenceville, N.J.), Kwame Awuah (Toronto, Ont.) and Cheikh Stephane Coly (Dakar, Senegal) will serve as tri-captains for the 2016 season.

UConn opens the 2016 campaign ranked No. 16 in the TopDrawerSoccer.com poll and also checked in at No. 22 in the opening College Soccer News poll, released on Aug. 18.

The Huskies sport a 2-0-2 all-time record against Iona in a series dating back to 1995 and will challenge Nebraska-Omaha on the pitch for the first time in program history on Aug. 28.

In total, the Huskies' 2016 regular season slate features seven teams that qualified for the 2015 NCAA Tournament. Additionally, 11 of UConn's 18 opponents finished last season with a winning record, while eight programs record the 10-win plateau.

The first 500 students to attend the Goal Patrol meeting (6 p.m., Gate 3) will receive a free t-shirt.

The University of Connecticut will close the section of Jim Calhoun Way to vehicular traffic between Alumni Road and the south entrance of the I-Parking Lot during men's soccer matches starting this fall. This closure is part of an ongoing effort to ensure the safety of both soccer game patrons who are walking on Jim Calhoun Way before and after the match and the general public that uses the street to enter or leave campus in their vehicles.

The affected section of Jim Calhoun Way will close to vehicular traffic approximately an hour before each match starts and re-open approximately 30 minutes after the conclusion.

I-Lot parking will remain accessible to patrons and the general public during men's soccer games via Separatist Rd. to Jim Calhoun Way or via Alumni Drive to Husky Circle to Calhoun Way.

To keep up with the team during the season, follow @UConnMSOC on Twitter. Fans are encouraged to use the hashtag #EveryGameMatters or #EGM for the 2016 campaign.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Press releases are one thing, but what do those who know say? Are we gonne be good this year? Listening to Ray Reid on the radio makes me think that's the case.

Reaction Score
Press releases are one thing, but what do those who know say? Are we gonne be good this year? Listening to Ray Reid on the radio makes me think that's the case.

Last year UConn scored 4 goals in August and September. They were a young team last year, struggled early especially on offense, but showed a lot of improvement towards the end of the season, enough to make the NCAA tourney. All those young players they had are a year older, and I suspect the offense will definitely be better. Hopefully they will make a bit of noise this time around.

Reaction Score
2-1 huskies at half. Thiam with a goal less than a minute into game and Sanchez breaks the tie with about 10seconds left in half.

Reaction Score
3-1. Nice goal by #17.

Yes, #19 from CT looks good as well

Reaction Score
One thing to note. Last year the Huskies had a horrible time on offense early in the year. They were an extremely young team that simply looked like they had never played together, and it really showed in their offensive production. Not only did they not score goals, but last year's team had a horrible time even generating anything close to a quality scoring chance, and it did not matter how good the opposing team was. I noticed this in the early games I went to, and John Tuite also talked about this during radio broadcasts of the games. The team's offensive play improved on this late in the season as Thiam turned more and more into a scoring threat.

Compare this to what is going on this season. The team is definitely generating quality scoring chances, not to mention goals. Iona may not be a real quality team, but last year the opening of the season produced dreadful scoreless ties against St. Francis Brooklyn, Quinnipiac, and Dartmouth. This team is a year older, and the improvement from the beginning of last season is quite apparent.

Reaction Score
UConn men's soccer is playing tonight against Nebraska-Omaha, the Huskies second game in three days. That is something Ray Reid has tried mightily to avoid in past years, saying that such a schedule does not give his players the proper rest between matches. However, two games in three days is something that the team needs to experience, as the post season conference tournaments almost always have teams playing two games in three days.

Reaction Score
Full house. 1-0 UConn of a hand ball PK. Shots 13-2, but look tired

Reaction Score
Freshman Niko Petridis first career goal as a Husky makes 2-0, and that is the final score.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn men's soccer is playing tonight against Nebraska-Omaha, the Huskies second game in three days. That is something Ray Reid has tried mightily to avoid in past years, saying that such a schedule does not give his players the proper rest between matches. However, two games in three days is something that the team needs to experience, as the post season conference tournaments almost always have teams playing two games in three days.
Good point. Coming through this weekend with wins should pay off down the road.

jho

Reaction Score
Well deserved first goal for Niko. I thought that he was the most impressive offensive player in both games this weekend. Also impressive was the student turnout tonight.

Reaction Score
At what point is it time for David Benedict to have the "Thank You for Your Service" talk with Ray Reid. It has to be coming soon...

Reaction Score
At what point is it time for David Benedict to have the "Thank You for Your Service" talk with Ray Reid. It has to be coming soon...

While I am not overly enamored of Ray Reid and would not mind seeing him go as well, it would not surprise me if he sticks it out as coach for a few more years. For one, UConn soccer attendance is doing very well, it has not dropped off. Also, the new soccer facility is a Ray Reid baby, one he is hugely connected with. I suspect Reid wants to see it completed, so I expect that he will want to stick around to at least see the opening of the new facility. By the way, the last I heard construction on the new soccer facility is slated to commence in December of 2017.

Reaction Score
While I am not overly enamored of Ray Reid and would not mind seeing him go as well, it would not surprise me if he sticks it out as coach for a few more years. For one, UConn soccer attendance is doing very well, it has not dropped off. Also, the new soccer facility is a Ray Reid baby, one he is hugely connected with. I suspect Reid wants to see it completed, so I expect that he will want to stick around to at least see the opening of the new facility.
Ray can "want" to stick around all he wants...if someone like Tony Rizza gets tired of not seeing this program move forward in the post season..or Benedict takes a look at it and thinks he can improve it with a coaching change he will be gone.

Reaction Score
Ray can "want" to stick around all he wants...if someone like Tony Rizza gets tired of not seeing this program move forward in the post season..or Benedict takes a look at it and thinks he can improve it with a coaching change he will be gone.

Just a gut feeling on my part, but in combination with UConn soccer attendance remaining stable, unless financial backers like Tony Rizza do an about face on Ray Reid, I doubt that UConn will get rid of Reid before the soccer facility project is finished. However, if men's soccer continues to miss making the NCAA tournament, that's a horse of a different color.

Reaction Score
Providence, who UConn beat this year and consistently beat for years, is another win away from the College Cup which would be their 2nd trip since UConn last went in 2000. They rallied from 3 goals down last game against #1 Maryland something you would never ever see a Ray Reid coached team do. Syracuse and BC, 2 other programs that UConn was better than also made the Sweet 16 where they lost. Disturbing that so many programs that we once were dominant over have passed us.

Should also be noted that many "mid major" schools and Big East schools doing very strong in both the mens and womens tournament team. For example the Georgetown women made the College Cup for the first time. More evidence that blaming the AAC for our woes seems to not be the reason for our unimpressive athletics year.

Coaching coaching coaching. There are big problems with coaching throughout what should be marquee programs in Storrs right now. And we don't seem to have the resolve to address them.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom