Most nervous/excited I have been for a game in 30 years. | The Boneyard

Most nervous/excited I have been for a game in 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Weird thinking I'm that old, but it's true.

I feel like I've had 3 pots of Arabica, when in fact I've had none. I can't focus on work today, and several new clients came in and a jackass attorney pulled a bonehead move that I've had to bail out all day.

I literally can feel my heart beating irregularly and quicker than normal, and my neck feels a bit tight, like my BP is high.

I'm never like this. Not even when what's his face was tripping into the hardwood to seal up our 1s of many. And I feel very good about our chances.

What is it? Is it the notion that we've played so far beyond our expectations, but we greedily want one more, knowing we're asking for a dice roll of 6 after having already rolled five 6s in a row?

Anybody else feeling exceptionally anxious?

Reaction Score
Excited and anxious but not nervous. Looking forward to it. Will be on pins and needles at game time no doubt.

Maybe lack of nervousness is due to three NCs already under belt...regardless it has been an unreal run. More shocking than 2011 if that is possible...

Reaction Score
For some reason I'm more confident and calm about tonight's game than I've been for our previous five games. I don't think UK can play with us after watching us take care of MSU and Florida. We are a terrible match up for them and nearly everyone is blowing the size advantage of UK way out of proportion.

It reminds me so much of the 1999 title game. Duke was bigger and slower, we were quicker and won the title because of it.

Funny that the 2004 semis vs Duke was mentioned above, I was so incredibly calm before that game, I thought we were going to beat them by 15+. Probably would have if Okafor didn't spend the entire first half on the bench. At least we still got the W.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Your post reminded me of the following of an eminem track. Amazing how many UCONN analogies are in here. (sorry ahead of time for posting eminem lyrics)

The soul's escaping, through this hole that is gaping
This world is mine for the taking
Make me king, as we move toward a new world order
A normal life is boring, but superstardom's close to post mortem
It only grows harder, homie grows hotter
He blows. It's all over. These hoes is all on him
Coast to coast shows, he's known as the globetrotter
Lonely roads, God only knows
He's grown farther from home, he's no father
He goes home and barely knows his own daughter
But hold your nose 'cause here goes the cold water
His hoes don't want him no more, he's cold product
They moved on to the next schmoe who flows
He nose dove and sold nada
So the soap opera is told and unfolds
I suppose it's old partner but the beat goes on

No more games, I'm a change what you call rage
Tear this motherfucking roof off like two dogs caged
I was playing in the beginning, the mood all changed
I've been chewed up and spat out and booed off stage
But I kept rhyming and stepped right into the next cypher
Best believe somebody's paying the pied piper
All the pain inside amplified by the fact
That I can't get by with my 9 to 5
And I can't provide the right type of life for my family
Cause man, these goshdarn food stamps don't buy diapers
And it's no movie, there's no Mekhi Phifer, this is my life
And these times are so hard, and it's getting even harder
Trying to feed and water my seed, plus
Teeter totter caught up between being a father and a prima donna
Baby mama drama's screaming on and
Too much for me to wanna
Stay in one spot, another day of monotony
Has gotten me to the point, I'm like a snail
I've got to formulate a plot or I end up in jail or shot
Success is my only motherfucking option, failure's not
Mom, I love you, but this trailer's got to go
I cannot grow old in Salem's lot
So here I go it's my shot.
Feet, fail me not, this may be the only opportunity that I got

You better lose yourself in the music, the moment
You own it, you better never let it go
You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime yo
You better lose yourself in the music, the moment
You own it, you better never let it go
You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime yo

Reaction Score
Its torture. This is a team that paid the price of unwarranted (towards these players) NCAA sanctions and now stands 1 game from the top of the mountain top otherwise known as basketball's Promise Land.

I am in my target heart rate in a stationary position. lol

Plus I hate Kentucky.

Reaction Score
Actually I'm not nervous. Not necessarily over confident, but not nervous. After the 99 game (against formidable dook) I always know we have a great chance to win.

I'm just excited to see what happens.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Anybody else feeling exceptionally anxious?

It's the stakes. The chance to win our fourth (FOURTH!?!) and become undeniably the most successful program in modern times. I mean, we really are already by a lot of yardsticks, but no more arguments if UConn wins. My palms got sweatier typing this.

PS Oh my god that fake "Dicks" banner ad. Genius.

PSS Doomed.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Torture -- Game time is 10am Tuesday morning for me and I have an absolutely unavoidable work commitment.

Reaction Score
I feel excited and confident, nerves won't set in until closer to game time.

Reaction Score
Took the day off and burnt off some of the energy doing yard work. Taking the train into NYC in an hour or so to checking into a hotel (no way am I going to the game, ends at midnight, taking the train home, in bed by 3 maybe, and then up at 5:30 to take the train back to work in the morning). Plan to be at Van Diem's around 8:30 (UConn NYC Alumni gate watch).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What is it?
For me, it's the sad fact that I know I am immature enough that my hatred for Calipari would ruin this beautiful tourney run and all my memories of it if we don't win tonight.

I would have felt much better losing to Wisconsin or at any point sooner than this; but I will feel much better beating Kentucky because of everything it means.

So...despite how unlikely this run has been, I feel like the stakes are pretty high in terms of how happy/sad I will be at the result.

Reaction Score
I'll need a scotch before tip, my heart feels like its going to explode as well.

Reaction Score
Most nerves ever for a game was Gonzaga '99. We'd never been to a Final Four, let alone won one. We lose that game, and we could've, and wow does that change history.
I think I was a little too young and stupid to be too nervous about that game.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
No day will ever feel as long or drag on as much as that Monday in late March 1999.

This is somewhat nerve wracking but in comparison to fifteen years ago this is child's play.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Like superjohn my nerves won't act up until 8:39. Then once we hit a basket I will breath easier.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nah. Nervous is Gonzaga 1999 or UCLA 1995, when the team had not made it yet. I wouldn't count Duke 1990 in there, because I think pretty much everyone realized that we had stolen one the game before and were playing with house money. Nervous is George Mason 2006, when everyone knew that the team was not on the same page and the unthinkable was possible. I knew UConn would beat Georgia Tech in 2004 and Butler in 2011.

The program's future does not ride on this game, the opponent is beatable, and the team is experienced, playing as one, and ready. Kentucky may win, but they are going to have to play well and get some help from the refs to do it. UConn will not beat itself tonight. There is nothing to be nervous about.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
It's the stakes. The chance to win our fourth (FOURTH!?!) and become undeniably the most successful program in modern times. I mean, we really are already by a lot of yardsticks, but no more arguments if UConn wins. My palms got sweatier typing this.

PS Oh my god that fake "Dicks" banner ad. Genius.

PSS Doomed.

Who says it's fake?

Reaction Score
1999 Gonzaga is probably the most nervous I have ever been for a game. If we didn't capitalize on that chance to make it to the Final Four...

Reaction Score
The anticipation is killing me. I feel like I'm on amphetamines right now.

I agree with 8893, though... I could live with losing to Wisconsin. I'd be happy for them. With Kentucky, I just know I'm either going to be totally elated tonight or totally bummed out.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Most nerves ever for a game was Gonzaga '99. We'd never been to a Final Four, let alone won one. We lose that game, and we could've, and wow does that change history.

For me the nerves didn't begin in that game until shortly before halftime. Yes, we had never been to the final four at that point and there were a couple of WTF losses that derailed earlier UConn teams that were more than capable. I spent most of that season fully convinced that we would not be denied (of the title) that year yet from late in the first half until perhaps 40 seconds remaining in the game all I could think was "is it possible that we are cursed?". That scrappy team kept themselves in the game far longer than I would have liked but all in all I believe it helped our resolve for later games (Duke).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom