Morgan Cheli article | The Boneyard

Morgan Cheli article

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
"The public announcement by Cheli was two months in the making. She gave her commitment while on an unofficial visit the weekend of Feb. 4. The next day she was at the XL Center to watch the Huskies take on No. 1 South Carolina."

“Morgan can shoot so she can play off the ball,” Phillips said. “She gets on the glass, because she has great size. She is a good 6-2, on her way to 6-3. She is still growing."

Reaction Score
I love watching this kid. She really reminds me of Caroline -- you guys remember the freshman Geno picked to take the last shot against DePaul in that nail biter two years ago? She's got Caroline's chutzpah with perhaps slightly better handles and maybe a quicker move off the bounce. We'll have to see if she turns out to be as crafty as Caroline on D, too.

Reaction Score
I love watching this kid. She really reminds me of Caroline -- you guys remember the freshman Geno picked to take the last shot against DePaul in that nail biter two years ago? She's got Caroline's chutzpah with perhaps slightly better handles and maybe a quicker move off the bounce. We'll have to see if she turns out to be as crafty as Caroline on D, too.
Slightly and maybe? You must have been watching the videos of Cheli in slow motion.

Reaction Score
Slightly and maybe? You must have been watching the videos of Cheli in slow motion.
I don’t disagree, except to remind myself that quick in HS is one thing and in D1 quite another. It’s about quick feet, but also a quick mind… and Caroline has a very quick basketball mind.

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree, except to remind myself that quick in HS is one thing and in D1 quite another. It’s about quick feet, but also a quick mind… and Caroline has a very quick basketball mind.
Mr. Bone Dog, you speak truth. How many fantastic HS players achieved, at best, just reasonably good status at the D1 level. A bunch played for UConn, but I won't name them. No reason to cast shade on their UConn careers now.

Reaction Score
Mr. Bone Dog, you speak truth. How many fantastic HS players achieved, at best, just reasonably good status at the D1 level. A bunch played for UConn, but I won't name them. No reason to cast shade on their UConn careers now.
Thanks, @Skeets I expressed a reasonable caveat. But I am also really impressed by Morgan, just like @BobbyJ . I think she’ll be awesome as a Husky!!! This is just a guess, of course. I suspect she’ll be one of those kids for whom the D1 game “slows down” much sooner than it does for others. This is what happened for Azzi and Caroline in the second half of their freshman seasons. But for injuries they’d have had outstanding sophomore seasons. I’m looking for the same early leap for Morgan as well. I can hardly wait for her arrival!

One thing we have to look forward to is seeing her play alongside Ayanna who, in her junior season will be hitting in her stride. Imagine having two big wings on the floor — our small ball game will be surprisingly tall! This would also be Q’s sophomore season and if all goes according to my vision [cue mad scientist’s maniacal cackle] she’ll also be firing on all cylinders at the same time. Imagine how awesome that rotation will be, especially playing next to Jana and Ice.

Now add Sarah Strong to the mix and picture a season with Morgan and Q at the wing, Ayanna and Sarah at the 4 and Jana and Ice at the 5. We’ve won NCs with lineups like that, especially if KK Ashlynn Allie and Kelis do what I expect to see in the backcourt.

But there’s no time to dally. Now it’s time to imagine what Zakiyah might bring to this team!

Reaction Score
Thanks, @Skeets I expressed a reasonable caveat. But I am also really impressed by Morgan, just like @BobbyJ . I think she’ll be awesome as a Husky!!! This is just a guess, of course. I suspect she’ll be one of those kids for whom the D1 game “slows down” much sooner than it does for others. This is what happened for Azzi and Caroline in the second half of their freshman seasons. But for injuries they’d have had outstanding sophomore seasons. I’m looking for the same early leap for Morgan as well. I can hardly wait for her arrival!

One thing we have to look forward to is seeing her play alongside Ayanna who, in her junior season will be hitting in her stride. Imagine having two big wings on the floor — our small ball game will be surprisingly tall! This would also be Q’s sophomore season and if all goes according to my vision [cue mad scientist’s maniacal cackle] she’ll also be firing on all cylinders at the same time. Imagine how awesome that rotation will be, especially playing next to Jana and Ice.

Now add Sarah Strong to the mix and picture a season with Morgan and Q at the wing, Ayanna and Sarah at the 4 and Jana and Ice at the 5. We’ve won NCs with lineups like that, especially if KK Ashlynn Allie and Kelis do what I expect to see in the backcourt.

But there’s no time to dally. Now it’s time to imagine what Zakiyah might bring to this team!
A very " agreeable" post! I agree!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I am thrilled Morgan has decided to be a Husky.

I assume she'll be invited to the USA Basketball U19 trials and I hope she makes the team. She was a solid, do everything contributor to the U17 world cup team in 2022.

The U19 World Cup will be hosted by Spain (Madrid) July 15-23. The games will be the first FIBA competition to be played on a glass court. Should be a fun event.

BTW, Egypt qualified for the U19 World Cup so we may be watching Jana playing in Spain as well. Egypt is in the same group as Canada, China and the Czech Republic. UConn's European trip is planned for August, btw.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I am thrilled Morgan has decided to be a Husky.

I assume she'll be invited to the USA Basketball U19 trials and I hope she makes the team. She was a solid, do everything contributor to the U17 world cup team in 2022.

The U19 World Cup will be hosted by Spain (Madrid) July 15-23. The games will be the first FIBA competition to be played on a glass court. Should be a fun event.

BTW, Egypt qualified for the U19 World Cup so we may be watching Jana playing in Spain as well. Egypt is in the same group as Canada, China and the Czech Republic. UConn's European trip is planned for August, btw.
I like players that are willing to do anything to help the team and put the team first. You never have to be concerned about whether or not they'll show up for a BIG game. They don't do "magic tricks." I know very little about her, but I like her already. :cool:

freekimchee

food whisperer
Reaction Score
I can't wait to see Mo and Allie play together. A couple of super talented blue collar players with team first attitudes.

Reaction Score
Really like what we see on those videos...crafty, persistent, skilled, rebounds, team player, 3 levels shooter...

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I wouldn't complain abt tht, but wht if the growth spurt reaches 6'4, does tht remove her from the realm of the guard position? I definitely like her at 6'2 where she'll have the height to look and shoot over most guards, at 6'3 I'd upgrade tht like to Love, but at 6'4 idk......js

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm hoping we end up comparing her to another BE player who just got drafted, but don't want to raise the expectations too high

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I wouldn't complain abt tht, but wht if the growth spurt reaches 6'4, does tht remove her from the realm of the guard position? I definitely like her at 6'2 where she'll have the height to look and shoot over most guards, at 6'3 I'd upgrade tht like to Love, but at 6'4 idk......js
Do people really spend time trying to think up strange and improbable problems for the team? Asking for a friend

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Do people really spend time trying to think up strange and improbable problems for the team? Asking for a friend
Haha....an idle mind is a playground and daycare for strange and improbable ideas

Reaction Score
What else do we have to do? (certainly not the work thingy).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom