More winnable games? | The Boneyard

More winnable games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We all realize nothing is a slam dunk this year. That's been painfully clear though now with a brighter horizon. But, USF supposedly sucks real bad and they beat Cincy. Ditto, SMU supposedly sucks bad but played Rutgirls even. Extend the logic and we have no reason to not expect a W in at least 3 of those 4 games.

Reaction Score
SMU is not as bad as their record.Have you seen there schedule?TCU,TT etc etc and Gale Gilbert is sick!How did UT let him go as mediocre as they've become?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Memphis has to be considered the most winnable game, but if we are at 0-11 will it really matter?

I expect to win at least four in conference pre season. Should be easier now without the PGDL millstone hanging around.

Would like to pick off one of UL, RU, Cincy, or UCF. I expect to beat Temple, USF, and Memphis with SMU on the road as a potential stumbling block.

Would have meant 5-8 wins if we took care of business in the OOC, which is just about what everyone predicted. I see no reason to change. What I have seen so far seems very fixable to me with a little technique, a little attitude and a headfreeass from the staff.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We all realize nothing is a slam dunk this year. That's been painfully clear though now with a brighter horizon. But, USF supposedly sucks real bad and they beat Cincy. Ditto, SMU supposedly sucks bad but played Rutgirls even. Extend the logic and we have no reason to not expect a W in at least 3 of those 4 games.

Maybe start with South Florida. UConn can barely field an offensive line - Stick a true frosh behind and expect to win games on the road or against Rutgers? Sure thing.

I have no idea how it happened but Memphis is way better than they get credit for on the Boneyard and are a HORRIBLE matchup for UConn. Their defensive line is going to dismantle UConn's offensive line.

Reaction Score
Maybe start with South Florida. UConn can barely field an offensive line - Stick a true frosh behind and expect to win games on the road or against Rutgers? Sure thing.

I have no idea how it happened but Memphis is way better than they get credit for on the Boneyard and are a HORRIBLE matchup for UConn. Their defensive line is going to dismantle UConn's offensive line.

Yup, it appears Memphis has found their coach which puts them ahead of us at the moment.

Reaction Score
I think we need to be cautiously optomistic about the rest of the season.....and not dump on DJ Weist, Boyle, or other players with limited experience if the whole season turns sour. UConn cannot view any of the conference games as cupcakes or sure wins. That may be part of the atmosphere on the team that produced at least a couple of unexpected failures in OOC play.

The freshman QB is quietly being pronounced the next coming of Dan O, which I understand, but may put too much hype on his shoulders going through a BCS learning curve. Even DJ suggested there will be mistakes made.

One of CT's newspapers last week gave a brief synopsis od DO's career. He too was thrust into the fire four games into the season as a freshman. And his first two years was very rough. Inexperience resulted in a 2-12 start until he rolled off 6 victories at the end of his sophomore season, which included the historic win over Iowa State in the last game of his sophomore season. I remember that he had a few interceptions in a number of games as a freshman and sophomore.

This is not a criticism of Dan or Tim, its meant to be an illustration of how difficult it can be for a heralded HS QB to transition into college game intensity. Another thing to realized is DO's learning curve was mostly against MAC-USA-1-aa teams, with a couple of games against "future" BE teams.....three of which left before UConn became of full BE member.

Tim's learning curve is going to be against much stiffer competition, within the conference, and OOC.......this year and next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom