More on Molly Bent via John A | The Boneyard

More on Molly Bent via John A

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Nice things to say about Breanna. I'm not surprised; Stewie is a terrific ambassador for UConn and women's basketball. Sounds like it was Marisa who first spotted her at the Deep South tournament. USF, Vandy and Kentucky showed interest.

John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla 3h3 hours ago
By the time AAU Deep South tourney was over @molly_bent was being recruited by Vanderbilt, Kentucky, @USFWBB as well as #UConnwomen

As far as she can tell, @molly_bent says her #UConnwomen recruitment began by a chance sighting by @marisamoseley the UConn assistant

Within two days, @molly_bent was being watched by #UConnwomen entire staff as her team, the Rhode Island Breakers, played

Last Wednesday. @molly_bent visited UConn campus and spent the day with the program and players. She played pick-up for about 1 hour

During her visit, @molly_bent says she was very impressed about the time @bre_stewart30 took to talk to her and her family #UConnwomen

Last Wednesday. @molly_bent visited UConn campus and spent the day with the program and players. She played pick-up for about 1 hour

During her visit, @molly_bent says she was very impressed about the time @bre_stewart30 took to talk to her and her family #UConnwomen

"She (@bre_stewart30) was so nice, even though she's the best player in the country. She didn’t big-time a little recruit." @molly_bent

"She @bre_stewart30) took a lot of time to speak with my parents. I have nothing but good things to say about her.” @molly_bent #UConnwomen

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Geno's not-so-secret recruiting weapons are his players. Think how often a blue-chip recruit commits, then raves about the host UConn player who took her to class and otherwise befriended her. It works!

I especially recall how often that Caroline Doty and Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis were praised as effective ambassadors for UConn wcbb.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Geno's not-so-secret recruiting weapons are his players. Think how often a blue-chip recruit commits, then raves about the host UConn player who took her to class and otherwise befriended her. It works!

I especially recall how often that Caroline Doty and Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis were praised as effective ambassadors for UConn wcbb.
He also keeps them involved with the process - the players are consulted about the visits and if they give a thumbs down the coaches stop recruiting the player. He gives them ownership in the process.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I've said it before…bears repeating
Marisa Mosely is one perceptive, articulate, imaginative coach.
Would not be surprised at all if she was recruited for an important head coaching job, even ours.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thank God DT and Sue weren't playing that day! ;)
Rocky I see where you are going with this but you do realize:
1) DT and Sue were in training camp maybe even playing games
2) There would have been absolutely nothing wrong, if Sue and DT were playing pickup at UCONN- The NCAA rule is that you can "occasionally" play pickup.

Reaction Score
Would not be surprised at all if she was recruited for an important head coaching job, even ours.
These things don't just happen just by people doing their jobs. I think Geno and staff go well beyond the call of duty. That's why we're great!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Rocky I see where you are going with this but you do realize:
1) DT and Sue were in training camp maybe even playing games
2) There would have been absolutely nothing wrong, if Sue and DT were playing pickup at UCONN- The NCAA rule is that you can "occasionally" play pickup.

I know Sue is playing. I know DT is being paid not to play. I know had they both been there and post-game joined an impromptu lunch of burgers and fries with the recruit in Geno's office, and you showed up with a "We Love You Molly" poster on the road out of town, all of that would be fine. I was just doing my "never let it die" thing. :p

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
msf22b I just want to make sure when you say "even ours" you are talking about Marisa taking the UCONN job right?
The thought of her being elsewhere is very unsettling!

Reaction Score

The person I heard about most frequently really working to "sell" UConn basketball to potential recruits was KML. I have no doubt Caroline and many others, including Maya, have helped as well! Geno, Chris and the staff do a phenomenal job making a family environment for these girls and part of that is insuring they get the "right type" of recruits coming here, the ones that will contribute to that mindset.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
msf22b I just want to make sure when you say "even ours" you are talking about Marisa taking the UCONN job right?
The thought of her being elsewhere is very unsettling!
It may happen soon - she is an impressive coach and should be under consideration when HC jobs open up. She does have a NE family connection so may be content to stay longer here.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am always a little wary of using that 'family atmosphere' identifier because it has been used in the past as 'code' for 'we are aggressively hetero' which is not the case at Uconn. But it is a very tight knit group that includes players coaches and extended families.

Reaction Score
Anytime we can do something to help UConn Women's Basketball while at the same time sticking it to that Vandy rat Melanie Balcomb - well, that's a great day.
??? don't know the reference, reason?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The person I heard about most frequently really working to "sell" UConn basketball to potential recruits was KML.

A good example of that, in a different context, was KML's on screen interview on the Championship floor when she was asked how did it feel to participate in giving Geno his 10th National Championship and she said something pretty close to: "It's the least I can do for all he has given to me on and off the court." Priceless - how many would be recruits heard that!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Another article on Bent from a local paper.

Bent intends to continue playing soccer at Tabor. “In the fall, I’ll play my last soccer at Tabor; she said. “Seniors don't do AAU soccer, so that will be it. I’ll go to UConn the first day of June, work out with the team; have individual strength and conditioning plus take some classes.”

She’ll make her official visit to UConn in the fall and expects that when the early signing period opens in November, she’ll sign her letter of intent. She’s been offered a full scholarship.

http://capecod.wickedlocal.com/arti...hotalking.com&st_refQuery=/twitter/molly+bent

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It may happen soon - she is an impressive coach and should be under consideration when HC jobs open up. She does have a NE family connection so may be content to stay longer here.
I am just gonna pretend I did not read this because you are doing zero to make me feel better.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I am always a little wary of using that 'family atmosphere' identifier because it has been used in the past as 'code' for 'we are aggressively hetero' which is not the case at Uconn. But it is a very tight knit group that includes players coaches and extended families.

In recent years, an unusual number of biracial players, all offspring of inter-racial marriages, have come to UConn to study and play. Surely these families know that they will be welcomed on the campus and within the community, hassle-free. Gotta think it gives UConn a recruiting edge, which is okay by me.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I hear you UC... but as often as not recruits are quoted saying precisely that. The chief proponents of this now dormant accusation are now,of course, fans of The Biker Chick. Rene Portland was big on the "family atmosphere" phrase, thus tainting it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Bent intends to continue playing soccer at Tabor. “In the fall, I’ll play my last soccer at Tabor; she said. “Seniors don't do AAU soccer, so that will be it. I’ll go to UConn the first day of June, work out with the team; have individual strength and conditioning plus take some classes.”

She’ll make her official visit to UConn in the fall and expects that when the early signing period opens in November, she’ll sign her letter of intent. She’s been offered a full scholarship.

http://capecod.wickedlocal.com/arti...hotalking.com&st_refQuery=/twitter/molly+bent

Yes, she has dropped off season club soccer, but after her first season at Tabor, in which she was the top scorer and assist leader, see was elected Team Captain, and she will play as a senior.

Reaction Score
??? don't know the reference, reason?

Really? Remember 8th grade Little League phenom Mo'ne Davis? After Geno congratulated her (via phone and with the compliance dep't. approval), an unidentified school filed a complaint with the AAC against Geno/UConn. It was briefly a mystery until it was revealed the complaint originated in the SEC. But no school had the balls to come forward and admit to filing the trifling complaint . Ultimately it was revealed to be Vanderbilt coach Melanie Balcomb. It was deemed by that bastion of integrity, the NCAA, as a secondary rules violation with no sanctions attached. And that's why, as long as Balcomb is there, I'll root against Vandy.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes, she has dropped off season club soccer, but after her first season at Tabor, in which she was the top scorer and assist leader, see was elected Team Captain, and she will play as a senior.
A lot of the Academy's require the students to participate in a sport each season. They usually have a Varsity, JV and a 3rds (which includes anybody and everybody).

Reaction Score

Great article! Here's the quote that I liked from this piece, it's from her father, George Bent.

“Molly is a very serious student,” said her father. “We never had to tell her as a youngster to do her homework. Actually, we would have to tell her to go to bed and stop doing her homework.”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I hear you UC... but as often as not recruits are quoted saying precisely that. The chief proponents of this now dormant accusation are now,of course, fans of The Biker Chick. Rene Portland was big on the "family atmosphere" phrase, thus tainting it.

Matter of fact guess what recruit just cited "family atmosphere": Yup, Molly Bent:

"I was on campus Wednesday and I loved every minute. I knew right away. It just felt like home. I loved the coaches and the players, the family atmosphere, and just the basketball culture. Academics are also very important to me so that’s something I wanted to check out."

Multiple sources, here's one. http://snyuconn.com/uconn/guard-bent-commits-to-uconn/#more-16193

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Matter of fact guess what recruit just cited "family atmosphere": Yup, Molly Bent:

"I was on campus Wednesday and I loved every minute. I knew right away. It just felt like home. I loved the coaches and the players, the family atmosphere, and just the basketball culture. Academics are also very important to me so that’s something I wanted to check out."

Multiple sources, here's one. http://snyuconn.com/uconn/guard-bent-commits-to-uconn/#more-16193
I know it is used in a positive light frequently, and the whole issue of orientation has pretty well dropped from WCBB, though I suspect not completely for single female coaches going head to head on a recruit from a conservative background. But it still makes me a tad uncomfortable - partly because 'family values' is still bandied about politically in the more negative connotation.

It is annoying that terms like family atmosphere which is an easy way to describe a very positive situation can also faintly echo a negative. I was not calling anyone here out for using the term, just stating something that echoes in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom