More injuries in WBB (merged) | The Boneyard

More injuries in WBB (merged)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As the season rolls on the fate of so many teams comes down to the health of key players, there is more unfortunate injury/health news out of the PAC-12. UCLA’s Lauren Betts missed her 2nd game with an “undisclosed illness?” over the weekend. In 2 games at home vs unranked WA & WA St, the Bruins struggled to beat WA and lost to WA St. During the postgame, an emotional Cori Close talked about “bigger issues than basketball” leading to rampant speculation about the health of Betts.

In the same game with WA St up 20 pts, the Cougars lost their all-conference pg, Charlisse Leger-Walker, to a non-contact knee injury, allowing the Bruins to make a late run which came up just short. It’s worth noting that WA-St is currently just outside the top 25, and the upset over UCLA will likely move the Cougars into the top 25.

Sadly, as we move through the intensity of conference rivalry games and conference tournaments it seems inevitable that more WBB players will be injured. For the teams that succeed in the postseason it may be as much about staying healthy as it is about talent.

Reaction Score
As the season rolls on the fate of so many teams comes down to the health of key players, there is more unfortunate injury/health news out of the PAC-12. UCLA’s Lauren Betts missed her 2nd game with an “undisclosed illness?” over the weekend. In 2 games at home vs unranked WA & WA St, the Bruins struggled to beat WA and lost to WA St. During the postgame, an emotional Cori Close talked about “bigger issues than basketball” leading to rampant speculation about the health of Betts.

In the same game with WA St up 20 pts, the Cougars lost their all-conference pg, Charlisse Leger-Walker, to a non-contact knee injury, allowing the Bruins to make a late run which came up just short. It’s worth noting that WA-St is currently just outside the top 25, and the upset over UCLA will likely move the Cougars into the top 25.

Sadly, as we move through the intensity of conference rivalry games and conference tournaments it seems inevitable that more WBB players will be injured. For the teams that succeed in the postseason it may be as much about staying healthy as it is about talent.
Injuries are a part of sports and as WBB becomes more physical injuries are more prevalent. Hope we can find some protection for the players without drastically affecting the game we love.

Reaction Score

In UCLA's post-game press conference, Cori Close is very emotional and almost crying. She said that this week they have been dealing with things bigger than basketball. It sounds like something big with Betts

Reaction Score
In UCLA's post-game press conference, Cori Close is very emotional and almost crying. She said that this week they have been dealing with things bigger than basketball. It sounds like something big with Betts
Kiki Rice also added that it’s been a really hard week for the program for a lot of different reasons, hoping everything works out

Reaction Score
Everyone keeps talking about the the amount of players effected but has there ever been a year with so many top teams dismantled by injuries? UCLA, UConn, LSU, Utah 4 of the 5 preseason teams all lost at least one starter to injury for the season. Only Iowa has remained injury free from that group. And, unsurprisingly, are the only ones still in the top 5 as a result.

Then you have Notre Dame, Ole Miss and Texas as 3 additional top 15 teams that have lost vital starters this season as well. And then when you include the teams that have lost key players as they rose up the rankings during the season. Kansas St, Washington State etc. And this isn't even including teams like Tennessee who have had star players miss serious time, this is just teams that have lost key players for the whole season.

Feels like the NCAA tourney is just going to be the last team left standing at this point as it feels like injuries are becoming more and more frequent.

Someone really needs to look into what is going on and what can be done to protect WBB players because i get anxious watching games between almost every team at this point that I'll have to see another player go out with a terrible injury.

Reaction Score
Everyone keeps talking about the the amount of players effected but has there ever been a year with so many top teams dismantled by injuries? UCLA, UConn, LSU, Utah 4 of the 5 preseason teams all lost at least one starter to injury for the season. Only Iowa has remained injury free from that group. And, unsurprisingly, are the only ones still in the top 5 as a result.

Then you have Notre Dame, Ole Miss and Texas as 3 additional top 15 teams that have lost vital starters this season as well. And then when you include the teams that have lost key players as they rose up the rankings during the season. Kansas St, Washington State etc. And this isn't even including teams like Tennessee who have had star players miss serious time, this is just teams that have lost key players for the whole season.

Feels like the NCAA tourney is just going to be the last team left standing at this point as it feels like injuries are becoming more and more frequent.

Someone really needs to look into what is going on and what can be done to protect WBB players because i get anxious watching games between almost every team at this point that I'll have to see another player go out with a terrible injury.

Typically, from what I've viewed on the board, it's been "every team is going through it" theme. Now while this is true, I don't believe the point you're making gets talked about as much. It definitely feels like it will be a last man standing type of tournament this year for sure.

Reaction Score
Janiah Barker returned yesterday from concussion protocol only to get whacked again. She had to leave the game and did not return. Also Arizona has been playing with only 7 available players, not sure if any of the injured are due to return. I concur, this year may come down to the last man (team) standing. Lots of coaches having to reimagine their lineups.

Reaction Score
Has South Carolina suffered any significant injuries this year? Apologies if I’m uninformed.

Reaction Score
Janiah Barker returned yesterday from concussion protocol only to get whacked again. She had to leave the game and did not return. Also Arizona has been playing with only 7 available players, not sure if any of the injured are due to return. I concur, this year may come down to the last man (team) standing. Lots of coaches having to reimagine their lineups.
I left off Texas A&M because i thought Barker was only out two games. Add them and her to the list of teams have lost a star player. And I completely forgot about Arizona and TCU as well who have been completely decimated by injuries and TCU I believe was rising up the ranking. It's completely insane how the quality of basketball this season has been impacted because of the sheer volume of injuries to top players on top teams.

Reaction Score
Has South Carolina suffered any significant injuries this year? Apologies if I’m uninformed.
I don't think so. I think a couple of players have missed a game or two for rest or mild injuries like ankle sprains but they've been injury free, along with Iowa. Iowa did seem to have a minor injury issue with Hannah Stuelke but she only had to miss 4 games. Stanford lost Brink for a couple of games but has been injury free otherwise. That's 3 of your top 4 teams and I don't think thats a coincidence.

Last edited:

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Stuelke missed 4 games and has been on minutes restriction for several more. Not at all saying that's an equivalent hardship to a season ending injury but just wanted to put the right info out there.

Reaction Score
Stuelke missed 4 games and has been on minutes restriction for several more. Not at all saying that's an equivalent hardship to a season ending injury but just wanted to put the right info out there.
Ah that is why i tried to call out Stuelke's injury issue as different from South Carolina's, but I thought she only missed 1 game recently. Didn't realized she missed three earlier in the season. Edited to reflect that additional knowledge. I do think that is something to watch over the course of the season for them as it seems to be lingering.

Reaction Score
Indiana could be facing some challenges themselves with Parrish out. Believe it's and ankle and time to return is TBD. Indiana doesn't seem to have a deep bench from what I've observed.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I don't think they have. SC fans--has your team had any major injuries in the past decade aside from Coates missing the 2016-17 tournament and Raven Johnson's ACL in 2021-22? Seems like Dawn and co. have been able to keep their core players healthy during their string of dominance in the SEC. Props to their strength and conditioning team.

Reaction Score
I don't think they have. SC fans--has your team had any major injuries in the past decade aside from Coates missing the 2016-17 tournament and Raven Johnson's ACL in 2021-22? Seems like Dawn and co. have been able to keep their core players healthy during their string of dominance in the SEC. Props to their strength and conditioning team.
Those are the only two major injuries that I can remember -- unless you want to count Amihere and Adhel Tac enrolling early to take a redshirt and rehab a torn ACL. Tessa has missed 3-4 this season due to an ankle injury that keeps getting aggravated.

Reaction Score
Those are the only two major injuries that I can remember -- unless you want to count Amihere and Adhel Tac enrolling early to take a redshirt and rehab a torn ACL. Tessa has missed 3-4 this season due to an ankle injury that keeps getting aggravated.
Tessa only missed 3 games I believe and Pao Pao missed one game I believe during this same periond in the opening month of the season

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Not this year, though mid-year freshman, Adhel Tac suffered a HS career ending injury last fall. She enrolled early to begin rehab.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Sadly, today's paper reports that Arizona may be down to 7 for quite a while.

The only one in doubt is Kailyn Gilbert - of course our star player, really - who did not play this past weekend with unspecified back issues. Adia has not been specific, only saying the 7 player availability could go on for a long while, possibly all season.

The other injured (3, if I am counting correctly) are all done for the season.

Reaction Score
I believe in their second championship year they had a stretch where amazingly Amihere was asked to be the starting PG for I think 4 or 5 games. Johnson was already out for the season and Henderson got injured. I remember thinking that isn't going to work when I heard Amihere was the new PG, but somehow they pulled it off without any serious damage until Henderson returned.

But yes they have been relatively healthy.

Reaction Score
I believe in their second championship year they had a stretch where amazingly Amihere was asked to be the starting PG for I think 4 or 5 games. Johnson was already out for the season and Henderson got injured. I remember thinking that isn't going to work when I heard Amihere was the new PG, but somehow they pulled it off without any serious damage until Henderson returned.

But yes they have been relatively healthy.
Oh dang. I forgot about that. That was an interesting experiment. I looked up the box scores and Destanni missed the NC A&T, Kansas State, Maryland, and Duke games in December of 2021. Amihere had 7 assists in the K State game but didn't perform that well against Maryland and Duke. Surprisingly we won all of those games!

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom