More fuel to the fire (re: Griner) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

More fuel to the fire (re: Griner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I live with my void without being pathetic.
Ah yes, always the tough one. I'll call your deeply-held choices in life "tragic" and you're "pathetic" if you think there's anything wrong with that because I'm one of those proudly self-righteous voids that just knows best how slap on those public labels. Hey, if that works for you, that's all that matters, and there's a group with the initials W.B.C. that you might be interested in helping out at some demonstrations of those views.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Though I get the feeling that both Mulkey and Griner are pieces of work, I think this is mountian/molehill territory. My impression is that Mulkey's advice was wasn't so much asking Griner to live a lie as it was asking her to analyze the risk and return. Considering how well Griner's Baylor career turned out ( improvement and growth as a player, an NC, multiple FF's, #1 draft pick, nationwide recognition) I would say Mulkey was on the right track. Griner didn't need more on her plate in school. Now was the right time to come out publicly, when she has the time and freedom to deal with it. If she was that adament about coming out before, she could have just done so. Baylor wouldn't have done anything. It would have been another PR disaster for them.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I live with my void without being pathetic.

Re-read your posts in this thread, think about them for an hour, then come back and let us know if you still think you aren't pathetic.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I think there's plenty of sin in the United States -- hypocrisy, double standards, small mindedness, illogical thinking, denial of history and science. The list goes on.

I don't know how much BG "suffered" at Baylor a la Rene Portland hell. That being said, if Baylor folks really acted the way they believed, BG should not have been able to have a girlfriend. The mere existence of that relationship is evangelic. Her "sin" should have been throughly condemned. Except it wasn't in the interest of the University's growing sports program.

Baylor should also do a more careful reading of the Old Testament to see what else they're letting slide.

Reaction Score
Without arguing the micro of Brittney and how she was treated and how the interplay went with the school and her coach, the overall issue is that a devoutly religious school had as its centerpiece athlete a person who wasn't in line with the school ethic, and the square peg was in the round hole..... no puns intended on either of those. It was not a relationship that was harmonious, but that was ignored because she could help the team in the win column.....

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Keeping sexuality on the down low? Be serious. Business professionalism often requires suitable attire and sticking to the business at hand. No race, religion, or politics or office affairs or using the internet for . Teachers routinely get fired for working as bikini models etc.

RIGHT - there is no race or religion or politics or office affairs in professional business venues.

And name me the last man who was fired for working in a speedo?

Lordy, you DO live on the dark side of the moon.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This thread has been interesting as the lack of specifics has become a canvas for posters to paint their own version of what happened. As the inevitable calling out of other posters has begun, it might be a good time to lock it.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Hey, but I stayed around and took my lumps...
And did it with pretty good grace and humor, too. WElcome to Husky Nation. Gonna be a lot more fun over the next few years that "Got Mulk"!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Ah, yes, the old call for a lock-down plea. Before the arm is clicked shut, just wanted to pass along a link from the Kansas Scout forum on page 4 that has a thoughtful post by a Baylor frosh called Brischke that may add some more perspective about how to view Baylor and Waco. Does kind of sound like other schools out West, but with some strict guidelines that are kind of tucked in a closet but maybe to be used if some goes wild and open with their lifestyles. Again, the old don't ask and don't tell path

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Don't proselytize or evangelize the sin. Its no deeper than that. Don't associate the university with the sin. Its a religious school. Religious schools accept sinners. They limit the opportunity to sin and forbid "selling the sin"

Its not deep at all.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Kate Fagan did an absolutely amazing job with this piece. I'm still baffled, as a gay woman, as to why she wouldn't transfer. If you're comfortable with who you are and you know who you are, why even endure all that BS when superior schools who recruited you don't care if you're gay?

Reaction Score
The right thing to do would have been in 2009 (?) to say "Brittney, you are a great person, but I do not think you and Baylor are a good fit for each other"

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
I think she said that it was no ones business. I would fully expect her to say the same if a heterosexual player was talking about her sexuality. I'm just not seeing it. They didn't try to change her. There was even private acceptance of it. They just suggested, not told her, that her sexuality didn't have to be in the public domain.

It always cracks me up when I see things like this. "You don't see heterosexual players talking about their sexuality." I was watching the softball super regionals on ESPN last weekend, and they would NOT stop showing a Nebraska player's fiance. That right there, is how female athletes' heterosexuality is dealt with. When a female athlete is walking down the street holding her boyfriend's/husband's hand, that is displaying their sexuality. So get out of here with that BS that it's nobody's business. It's paraded every day regardless of whether you realize it or not. And if you read the article, you'd see that it wasn't a suggestion. She wasn't allowed to at all. Baylor made her delete a tweet to an ex-girlfriend.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Suggesting BG keep her orientation on the down-low is hardly comparable to the aggresively anti-gay atmosphere fostered by Rene Portland. Such a suggestion of ANY comparable linkage is over the iop vis Kim Mulkey.

It wasn't a suggestion. She didn't have a choice, they made her keep it a "secret"

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Keeping sexuality on the down low? Be serious. Business professionalism often requires suitable attire and sticking to the business at hand. No race, religion, or politics or office affairs or using the internet for . Teachers routinely get fired for working as bikini models etc.

You're joking, right?

Reaction Score
RIGHT - there is no race or religion or politics or office affairs in professional business venues.

And name me the last man who was fired for working in a speedo?

Lordy, you DO live on the dark side of the moon.

I worked for a company that fired a worker for constanty wearing sandals to work. He was warned not to do it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Suggesting BG keep her orientation on the down-low is hardly comparable to the aggresively anti-gay atmosphere fostered by Rene Portland. Such a suggestion of ANY comparable linkage is over the iop vis Kim Mulkey.
Jim, you are miss using what I was saying. My point was that building a strong community within the team becomes the insulation against the external anti-gay theology of the university policies.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Kate Fagan did an absolutely amazing job with this piece. I'm still baffled, as a gay woman, as to why she wouldn't transfer. If you're comfortable with who you are and you know who you are, why even endure all that BS when superior schools who recruited you don't care if you're gay?

The connection that I made from reading the article:
1. Article states that BG chose Baylor because it was about three hours from Houston (home)
2. Article says that BG's mom just wanted her daughter to be happy (re: coming out)
3. Article says that while BG was in college, her mom developed lupus which left her having to use a wheelchair

My interpretation - BG may not have wanted to go further away from her mom which transferring to an elite WBB program elsewhere would have meant.

FWIW.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
You use such a wonderful analogy in this case. As anyone learning the rules of business professionalism at an institution of learning at Baylor, they know that their school finally took care of the above-mentioned race duties following the Civil Rights Act, religion is very much a conversation piece in Baylor's rules and public pronouncements, and their president is and has been highly involved in politics in playing a leading role in conservative activism. But clearly no one at Baylor has any interest viewing on the web (smirk and snicker) and I can find no references the school firing any of its teachers for posing for Victoria's Secret (Ken Starr in a speedo would probably excite a huge amount of the older members of the right wing of both sexes though).

So I don't know, is Baylor worth the tuition? If I want my kid to be a successful and well-behaved business professional, this may not be the place. Hell, at Baylor they supposedly can't even learn that time-honored career booster of sleeping your way to the top.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Dragging out my favorite comment from a Baylor fan last year at the Final Four. The Baylor dancers are shimmying and shaking their thang on the floor, and she says, "I never thought I'd see Baylor girls dance like THAT."

Reaction Score
I think you've got a good point here.

Kim, Brit, and Baylor had an "arrangement". For the time, everybody won.

As for "going public" - kind of the same "arrangement" Tiger had with the press.

Don't ask - Don't tell. Keep making baskets, birdies or whatever you're expected to do well.

Though I get the feeling that both Mulkey and Griner are pieces of work, I think this is mountian/molehill territory. My impression is that Mulkey's advice was wasn't so much asking Griner to live a lie as it was asking her to analyze the risk and return. Considering how well Griner's Baylor career turned out ( improvement and growth as a player, an NC, multiple FF's, #1 draft pick, nationwide recognition) I would say Mulkey was on the right track. Griner didn't need more on her plate in school. Now was the right time to come out publicly, when she has the time and freedom to deal with it. If she was that adament about coming out before, she could have just done so. Baylor wouldn't have done anything. It would have been another PR disaster for them.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Kait, did you just come out to the Boneyard? Good grief, kiddo, we've known you since you were about 12 - our little girl is all grown up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom