More conference realignment Hunger Games | Page 4 | The Boneyard

More conference realignment Hunger Games

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
There are no D1 FBS football programs in NYC: Columbia, Fordham and Wagner are all FBS teams. The closest FBS teams are Rutgers and Army West Point, both about 40 miles away; Storrs is about 140 miles away. When Rutgers under Schiano and UConn under Edsall were doing well in the 2000-2010 era (give or take) I remember that the NYC TV stations would report on both teams' seasons and bowl appearances as if they were their own. It's happened before and it can happen again. Let's be honest - Rutgers might actually be in the NYC DMA but it has been similarly dismal in football while UConn has been far more successful in most of the other sports.

If football is the sole driver, then why do I read about Kansas and Missouri as potential BIG targets (as it is rumored that both BIG and SEC are eventually going to become 20-25 team super conferences)? Kansas brings basketball caché but UConn men's has won more NC's in the past 23 years (4 vs 2) and Kansas football has historically been an extremely middling football program. Missouri? Pish-posh.

DON'T underestimate or undervalue the other revenue producing sports of basketball, ice hockey and baseball where UConn matches up better than just about any other possible BIG or SEC target school. FOX and/or ESPN want to expand programming and these other sports will do that and help grow overall advertising revenue.
Which is exactly why UConn is a better fit for the B1G than the SEC, my entire point. If the SEC wanted to get stronger in basketball, sure you can look at UConn… but are you REALLY looking at UConn when you have UNC, Duke, NC State etc in a state that’s contiguous to current SEC states. Unlike the B1G, being contiguous to current states matters to the SEC, the conference places value in its “Southern” roots.. which is why it’s highly unlikely the SEC plucks a team like Washington or Oregon (not impossible, but very unlikely).

Not sure what you mean either when you say UConn matches up better in baseball than other SEC targets. Those targets being Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, NC State etc. That is simply not true.

And the SEC doesn’t have ice hockey, but the B1G does. Lacrosse, Field Hockey.. all of those other very East Coast non-revenue sports.. are NOT in the SEC…. But guess what, they are in the B1G.

Reaction Score
SEC And BIG may choose to sever themselves from the NCAA. SEC has had serious discussions about it and if the BIG joined them, it could see it happening fast.

You can't spell secession with out an "S", and "E" and a "C."
So the NCAA basketball tournament is no more???? All in the name of football???? What happens to all the other athletic programs besides football? I don’t see it happening, but I’ve been wrong before.

Reaction Score
The SEC and BiG10 are going to be the P2, with everyone else a step below. Has to be a bitter pill for the ACC and PAC12. The money for the P2 is going to be so big that it may overwhelm the ACC's GOR poison pill for Clemson and/or FSU.
Other intercollegiate sports (mens and womens) will suffer, this flat out wrong.

Reaction Score
Sooo ?

Is this where the P2 is going... they review teams that fill out a dating app like profile that you can hit or swipe on by ?

1....Loves basketball, pizza, and travel away from the east coast, smart, let me show you around New York.

2....You need me as much as I need you. I love green beer, travel to the west coast, and your crowd has been my crowd since the days of the Gipper.

3....Love rap music, large jangly fake gold necklaces, know a letter of the alphabet and proud to display that fact. Are "U" ready to salsa?

4....Just putting this out there. Love wine and cheese, basketball, the color Petty Blue, smart, dress nicely...like to stay close to home.

Reaction Score
Big 10 considerations:
Notre Dame
UNC
UVa
GaTech
Miami
Duke
Boston college
Syracuse
Kansas

SEC considerations
Notre Dame
FSU
Clempsun
NC State
VaTech
Pitt
Okie State
Iowa state
West Virginia

Is this the end of college football, and the beginning of a pro league? This means that most schools will not play competitive football and make decent money at it for the university. 32 teams, perhaps a few more, in two leagues. Sounds like the National League and the American League. Why does this pro football scheme need universities anymore? Who needs the NCAA? And why do players need this sham amateur league structure, when they should be payed big bonuses to go into that AAA league and get paid, plus endorsements, just like minor league baseball players? Like soccer players?

Who needs colleges? Who needs the NCAA? At least for college football? Time to cut the cord.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
ND just said hell no to joining the B1G. So for now the ACC is safe. The question is, did ND say no to the B1G price and is just trying to negotiate a better deal, or is this a firm no? Will ND join the ACC full time in football?

Reaction Score
Is this the end of college football, and the beginning of a pro league? This means that most schools will not play competitive football and make decent money at it for the university. 32 teams, perhaps a few more, in two leagues. Sounds like the National League and the American League. Why does this pro football scheme need universities anymore? Who needs the NCAA? And why do players need this sham amateur league structure, when they should be payed big bonuses to go into that AAA league and get paid, plus endorsements, just like minor league baseball players? Like soccer players?

Who needs colleges? Who needs the NCAA? At least for college football? Time to cut the cord.

Free housing and excellent training table. Opportunity to earn NIL money. Opportunity to earn a college degree. Campus life. Adulation by an (often too) adoring fanbase.​

VS

Minor League Salaries​

LevelMinimum pay23 weeks
Rookie$400/week$9,200
Hi A, Low A$500/week$11,500
AA$600/week$13,800
AAA$700/week$16,100

Reaction Score
I know from experience that everyone at any university who works outside the athletic department or the advancement office thinks football has been a disaster for every major university

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Not surprising, but very interesting. It'll take more than one of the worst teams in the B1G sponsoring them. Too bad UConn football stinks or else Geno and co. would have been B1G 4 years ago.

UHF

Reaction Score

I posted earlier the SEC and tB1G will become the NFL Developmental League. Whether or not the NFL calls it D-League or something else.

Reaction Score
As I said in an earlier post, Rutgers wants UConn in the B1G. It props them up, and restarts an old rivalry from Big East days that will definitely sell tickets.
All yuks aside, every league either has or needs a Rutgers, Kansas or Vanderbilt otherwise every football season will be a difficult to navigate successfully to make the playoffs. And I'd think we'd all agree that UConn brings one of the best non-football resumes amongst possible BIG candidates. If the people on this board can solve for recruiting, playing time, and the many other issues that needed our help then we can assist UConn on finding the right conference for our long-term athletic success. Maybe even help BIG land Notre Dame (now that Muffet McGraw is gone lol!).

Reaction Score

Free housing and excellent training table. Opportunity to earn NIL money. Opportunity to earn a college degree. Campus life. Adulation by an (often too) adoring fanbase.​

VS

Minor League Salaries​

LevelMinimum pay23 weeks
Rookie$400/week$9,200
AA$600/week$13,800
AAA$700/week$16,100

But those aren't the elite. They get signing bonuses in addition to salary. And they will likely get to the majors a lot sooner.

The college degree is worthless for these football players- recreation management? And many, if not most, never get their degrees.

They could get NIL money in a pro league.

Reaction Score
I know from experience that everyone at any university who works outside the athletic department or the advancement office thinks football has been a disaster for every major university
Amen!!!

JordyG

Reaction Score
According to all the twitter insiders and comments ND has still said no thank you to the B1G, keeping the ACC as a major player. It seems the ACC is looking to raid both the Big 12 (West Virginia and Cincinnati) while pushing back hard at the SEC's attempt to dissolve the conference and holding on the Clemson, FS, and BC.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
According to all the twitter insiders and comments ND has still said no thank you to the B1G, keeping the ACC as a major player. It seems the ACC is looking to raid both the Big 12 (West Virginia and Cincinnati) while pushing back hard at the SEC's attempt to dissolve the conference and holding on the Clemson, FS, and BC.
Why do I get the feeling that a "soft" no as in : "B1G you need to put some more money on the table."

Reaction Score
I can only think that ND is thinking it can still earn independent money via NBC while sharing in ACC revenue? Otherwise can the ACC approach the value of what the BIG and SEC are going to get in the future?

Then does this mean the ACC is a potential landing spot for UConn athletics?

Thanks for keeping your ear to the ground!

JordyG

Reaction Score
I can only think that ND is thinking it can still earn independent money via NBC while sharing in ACC revenue? Otherwise can the ACC approach the value of what the BIG and SEC are going to get in the future?

Then does this mean the ACC is a potential landing spot for UConn athletics?

Thanks for keeping your ear to the ground!
ND may also be looking for a better deal by playing the SEC against the B1G. Remember, the SEC has for years been sending feelers out to ND, but ND wants a rival, such as BC to come along as a package deal. But lets be clear, the ACC ain't looking for another weak football team in their conference, nonetheless one weaker than BC, GT, and (ugh) Wake Forest. Clearly though, in this conference realignment welter Its ND holding all the cards, and no one else.

As for conference value, as I've said, in 5 years or so there will only be three conferences: the Super West, the B1G 10 (or 20), and the SEC with perhaps some assorted basketball only conferences. Down the road the B1G may have to accept UConn by default when conferences start gathering up stragglers. I don't see some sort of Super East (which include remnants of the ACC) being of commensurate value with the other three. It seems clear right now as well that the Big 12 isn't going anywhere quite yet.

JordyG

Reaction Score
When this stuff is over we are going to see a bunch of Frankensteinian, cross coastal conferences with the PAC 12 disappearing. Two new rumors. Alabama, ND a few other big teams form a conference with some major Apple monies. Wildly farfetched? You bet. Second, NBC wants to grab the rights to the ACC with exclusive TV rights, keeping ND in the ACC, even if Clemson, NC etc. leave for the SEC. Then with only 8 teams left, and ND as its savior, a bunch of quality teams would join to get that NBC money. Boyo, stay tuned.

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
Why do I get the feeling that a "soft" no as in : "B1G you need to put some more money on the table."
ND is playing bunch of conferences ,and now it appears NBC, for a bigger cut of the pie. How all this stuff affects bowl games and the CFB playoffs who knows.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

VS

Minor League Salaries​

LevelMinimum pay23 weeks
Rookie$400/week$9,200
AA$600/week$13,800
AAA$700/week$16,100
I'll take the free housing and excellent training table for $1000 Alex. :)

JordyG

Reaction Score
Goodness. Twitter is burning with stories that NBC is going to take over the ACC keeping ND in the fold. Money talks y'all, and the peacock has deep pockets. After all, ESPN virtually tried to invalidate the ACC contract

Reaction Score
ND is playing bunch of conferences ,and now it appears NBC, for a bigger cut of the pie. How all this stuff affects bowl games and the CFB playoffs who knows.
P2 minus the NCAA has anti-trust and unfair competition written all over it, not to mention the replacement of amateur athletics and the CFB playoffs with defacto professional teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom