More ammo for O'bannon vs NCAA? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

More ammo for O'bannon vs NCAA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
$100 a week??? Lol!

These kids pack 100,000 seat tadiums and 20,000 seat basketball arenas while old fat guys profit off of their hard work.

These schools are going to be making damn near 30m a year off of college athletes.

It's absurd to think they don't deserve some, if not the majority of the money.

Literally the only argument against it is, well they've never done it and people would lose interest in college sports.... yeah sure they would. just like fans don't come back after strikes abs lockouts.

Can you shows us where schools profit off sports?

Because schools are ALL losing a ton of money off sports.

I want to see where you come up with that.

Texas and Michigan are losing a buttload of money on sports. UConn is too.

College sports are mainly a taxpayer supported enterprise.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I don't just mean realignment x10. I mean the money difference in schools, the corruption in recruiting, and the pressure on universities would all be magnified x10. The very top schools may even form a new league knowing they can earn even more money. Meanwhile, everyone else will be left with loses.

And if that is the case we may actually get a seat at the table with the likes of Mississippi State, Oregon State, Washington State, Iowa State finally getting cut out. We can produce, we do produce, we just need to get rid of the historic ties that allow Purdue to make $35M a year, and UConn $1.5M.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Can you shows us where schools profit off sports?

Because schools are ALL losing a ton of money off sports.

I want to see where you come up with that.

Texas and Michigan are losing a buttload of money on sports. UConn is too.

College sports are mainly a taxpayer supported enterprise.

I find it very hard to believe schools are losing tons of money on college sports.

Regardless, if you're company losses money, but you were the one responsible for bringing the majority of it in, does that mean you arent entitled to being paid what you're worth?

Reaction Score
I never understood this likeness argument. Unless the jersey says O'Bannon on the back, the EA Sports games had the schools jerseys. People really do root for the jerseys. Unless the actual likeness is being sold, I tend to think there should not be any confusion. Are you talking about EA Sports (which doesn't even exist anymore) or something else? Reruns of old games?

I have a simple solution for the likeness argument. Everyone will be required to wear a jersey without a number. For sports with helmets, dark shields are required. For sports without helmets, shaved heads are required, girls included.

I agree the likeness argument is really stupid. If anything, the players get additional recognition from a game or picture if they are likened in it.

Reaction Score
I never understood this likeness argument. Unless the jersey says O'Bannon on the back, the EA Sports games had the schools jerseys. People really do root for the jerseys. Unless the actual likeness is being sold, I tend to think there should not be any confusion. Are you talking about EA Sports (which doesn't even exist anymore) or something else? Reruns of old games?

The genesis for the SI story in OP.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...-obannon-case-ncaa-tim-tebow-ncaa-football-10

Reaction Score
And if that is the case we may actually get a seat at the table with the likes of Mississippi State, Oregon State, Washington State, Iowa State finally getting cut out. We can produce, we do produce, we just need to get rid of the historic ties that allow Purdue to make $35M a year, and UConn $1.5M.

I'm sorry but Uconn is not part of the very top schools that will benefit from paying players. Those schools include the likes of ND, TX, UF, USC, OSU, Mich, AL, and a few others. Everyone else will be hit hard finacially and competatively.

I do agree that just about anything influencing realignment is good for Uconn because the status quo right now is not good. But some things, such as paying players, will only benefit the very top schools and hurt everyone else.

Reaction Score
I have a simple solution for the likeness argument. Everyone will be required to wear a jersey without a number. For sports with helmets, dark shields are required. For sports without helmets, shaved heads are required, girls included.

I agree the likeness argument is really stupid. If anything, the players get additional recognition from a game or picture if they are likened in it.

if someone is selling a UCLA O'Bannon jersey, I sympathize with the player. It's my assumption though that O'Bannon is upset because a light-skinned black guy with a shaved head and his old UCLA number appears on EA Sports. Those computer figures on those EA Sports games he's talking about bare a resemblance to Tin Tin cartoon character and no one else.

march-madness-07-top-25-small-forwards-20070116042923243-000.jpg

Reaction Score
I find it very hard to believe schools are losing tons of money on college sports.

Regardless, if you're company losses money, but you were the one responsible for bringing the majority of it in, does that mean you arent entitled to being paid what you're worth?

Why do you find it hard to believe?

What am I worth?

If I choose to work for a non-profit organization that is forced by law to share any revenue equally among genders, an organization whose main mission has little to do with my responsibilities, an organization that could easily do without me (quite frankly) and probably be better off, then what am I worth?

Seems to me I am expendable. My compensation ($40k worth of education, room & board), another $15k (facilities, training, coaching, medical help), would be hard to find outside the university.

Reaction Score
Its been a few years since I played these, but it was actually pretty easy to see who they were depicting. If you selected a classic UCLA team from the Bill Walton era, it was pretty easy to figure out who the seven foot white guy was "supposed to be".

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Why do you find it hard to believe?

What am I worth?

If I choose to work for a non-profit organization that is forced by law to share any revenue equally among genders, an organization whose main mission has little to do with my responsibilities, an organization that could easily do without me (quite frankly) and probably be better off, then what am I worth?

Seems to me I am expendable. My compensation ($40k worth of education, room & board), another $15k (facilities, training, coaching, medical help), would be hard to find outside the university.

I'm saying the way revenue is reported is shady. you yourself are the first two point that out when Louisville or UConn release their yearly P/L statements.

I agree, all college athletes agreed to the same deal. A deal that is inherently unfair, that's why its in court right now.

Reaction Score
I'm saying the way revenue is reported is shady. you yourself are the first two point that out when Louisville or UConn release their yearly P/L statements.

I agree, all college athletes agreed to the same deal. A deal that is inherently unfair, that's why its in court right now.

They are shady in the sense that they refuse to report the huge losses they incur because they don't want to incur the taxpayer's wrath, because if they do, people up north will scream harder than the yahoos down south. When Tex A&M lost $30m a few years ago in one season, the President made the mistake of requiring the AD to help pay for it. She was fired quickly by the politicos down there.

Al you need to do is go to the USA Today NCAA database to first check out all the subsidies (you'll be amazed at home many schools break even on an 80 million budget to with $10 of revenue. Check out the student fees and the direct institutional support. What's kept hidden though is the cost of facilities. I could go on by citing lesser subsidies (like 100% of royalties counting as athletic revenue, or cost-per-student subsidy over and above tuition). But since I believe it's OK for schools to lose money on sports, I won't belabor that too much. What bugs me is this idea that schools should lose even more money on sports than they are already losing, especially in an environment in which schools are slashing programs left and right.

Reaction Score
Hello Wake Forest, I see you Minnesota, Iowa State you can't hide either... :p

Sorry, but Minnesota wouldn't be left out. MN is about 2X the size of UCONN.

UofM vs UCONN
Endowment $2.5B vs $313M
Enrollment 48k vs 22K
USNews world rankings 104 vs 366
http://www.usnews.com/education/worlds-best-universities-rankings/top-400-universities-in-the-world
Overall Budget $2.9B vs $1.05B for all campuses
Sports Sponsored 25 vs 21
Living Alumni 400k vs 217k
Current Athletic Budget $80m vs >$63M
Approx football fans 936k vs 618k
http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/
Value of FB franchise $139M vs $101M
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324391104578225802183417888.html

Before you point at U of MN and say how much better you are you should remember that the world is much bigger that it looks from the AAC

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Minnesota's last football conference title 1967
Minnesota's most recent basketball conference titles 1972, 1982, 1997 ( vacated).

Absolute powerhouse.

I mean , by accident you should've at least won another conference title in 45 seasons.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Winning doesn't matter anymore. As a UConn fan you should have been hand-delivered that memo :)

Reaction Score
Sorry, but Minnesota wouldn't be left out. MN is about 2X the size of UCONN.

UofM vs UCONN
Endowment $2.5B vs $313M
Enrollment 48k vs 22K
USNews world rankings 104 vs 366
http://www.usnews.com/education/worlds-best-universities-rankings/top-400-universities-in-the-world
Overall Budget $2.9B vs $1.05B for all campuses
Sports Sponsored 25 vs 21
Living Alumni 400k vs 217k
Current Athletic Budget $80m vs >$63M
Approx football fans 936k vs 618k
http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/
Value of FB franchise $139M vs $101M
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324391104578225802183417888.html

Before you point at U of MN and say how much better you are you should remember that the world is much bigger that it looks from the AAC

Fair points... Maybe bad example for some metrics. My point was if the major college sports world blew up and conferences did a re-draft would UConn get left out?

How about we keep the USNWR rankings to the US? :)

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandr...es/rankings/national-universities/data/page+3

You combined Twin Cities and Duluth above?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Minnesota's most recent basketball conference titles 1972, 1982, 1997 ( vacated).

Absolute powerhouse.

I mean , by accident you should've at least won another conference title in 45 seasons.
None of that discounts any of the information GopherHawk posted. Minnesota is legit.

Reaction Score
Fair points... My point was if the major college sports world blew up and conferences did a re-draft would UConn get left out?

How about we keep the USNWR rankings to the US? :)

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/data/page 3

Why? Don't you like swimming in a bigger pond?

I wanted to see UCONN in the B1G, but you guys are in a death spiral now. Once you start hoping someone else gets the boot so you can be invited you are in self pity mode. The most telling stat to me about how people feel about UCONN is your endowment. that is absolutely pitiful. With 50% of the alumni, you should have 50% of the endowment of U of M. That would be over $1B and you guys are in the $300m range.

Support your school first.

Reaction Score
Why? Don't you like swimming in a bigger pond?

I wanted to see UCONN in the B1G, but you guys are in a death spiral now. Once you start hoping someone else gets the boot so you can be invited you are in self pity mode. The most telling stat to me about how people feel about UCONN is your endowment. that is absolutely pitiful. With 50% of the alumni, you should have 50% of the endowment of U of M. That would be over $1B and you guys are in the $300m range.

Support your school first.

Can't argue about endowment... I'm not an alum and probably kick in more than alot of alumni. It's been neglected for so long.

Still have a hard time believing that if there was an explosion after a NCAA breakaway and a subsequent reformation (original point) that UConn would be left out over some legacy schools (u of m excepted) in the so-called power conferences.

Appreciate the insight on Minnesota - teach me to pick on the Gophers.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

Absolute powerhouse.

The B1G now has two Rutgers.

U

UConn9604

During George's testimony, an attorney for the NCAA showed him a series of screen shots from EA basketball video games. According to the transcript, one shot was a picture of a Connecticut player wearing No. 32 on a 1990 team who stood 6-foot-5 and weighed 200 pounds -- all characteristics of George.

"Would you not say that looks like you as you appeared in 1990?" the NCAA attorney asked.

"No. I'm cuter," George replied.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/05/ed_obannon_lawsuit_update_coll.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member