Mora on Offense: We have a longs ways to go and a lot of work to do but… | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Mora on Offense: We have a longs ways to go and a lot of work to do but…

Reaction Score
Ok - I have to be careful about sharing. A buddy of mine runs a company and wants to do an NIL deal to help support the program. The money would be pretty decent for a non-QB position. Let’s just say it’s been months trying to get somebody to pay attention. That, boys, is our program problem.

It spreads.

Reaction Score

But I was told we were broke as hell and couldn't compete unless we had P4 money?
Will Smith Reaction GIF

Reaction Score
But I was told we were broke as hell and couldn't compete unless we had P4 money?
Will Smith Reaction GIF

Sounds like the NIL efforts are getting us into play with sone recruits. But until we get some actual commitments and win some games I don’t see what the point of your comment is.

Reaction Score
Sounds like the NIL efforts are getting us into play with sone recruits. But until we get some actual commitments and win some games I don’t see what the point of your comment is.
That the commitment is there to be a competitive program, which people refuse to believe

Reaction Score
There was a tweet from a non-staff member referencing UConn’s efforts chasing 2 unamed players on the offensive side of the ball w/ strong NIL efforts.

Why is this content getting deleted?

Reaction Score
?The person who tweeted it - deleted his own tweet. (It then shows up as “Not found” moving forward)

I still see them in his timeline.

Looks like with Coach Hilliard’s tweet there is some good news on the way.

Reaction Score
Gotta put TJ Weist higher than Charlton. If Corcoran hadn't been forced to retire, he'd have a solid offense.
I’d like to put Noel Mazzone somewhere on this list but he wasn’t an OC, just instantaneously transformed the offense to being capable in a week. And then he was gone.

Reaction Score
I’d like to put Noel Mazzone somewhere on this list but he wasn’t an OC, just instantaneously transformed the offense to being capable in a week. And then he was gone.
I mention it to way too much, but Mazzone made a staggering difference in no time at all. He showed us what a true, talented and experienced offensive mind can do for a team. Suddenly, no talent becomes promising enough talent. It was really eye opening.

Reaction Score
I mention it to way too much, but Mazzone made a staggering difference in no time at all. He showed us what a true, talented and experienced offensive mind can do for a team. Suddenly, no talent becomes promising enough talent. It was really eye opening.
The funniest part about it is that literally anyone can buy access to his scheme. There's entire courses on it with live Q&As and everything. You can hire a pop warner coach to call his offense

Reaction Score
Did you notice Mazzone left when Tyler Phommachanh went down? Maybe a coincidence but seemed like Tyler Phommachanh started when he arrived.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Did you notice Mazzone left when Tyler Phommachanh went down? Maybe a coincidence but seemed like Tyler Phommachanh started when he arrived.
Had nothing to do with it. He was on a temporary consulting contract and when that ended, it was not renewed for various other reasons.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Was watching the Myrtle Beach Bowl today thinking about last year's game. A green and white team (Ohio) beat a blue and white team (Ga Southern) by nearly double the score similar to Marshall beating UConn in last year's bowl. Beyond colors, both teams had very similar records to last year's teams. Did the Matrix glitch???

Seriously though, watching Ohio with a RB who didn't have more than 19 yards for the season run for over 100 and 5 TDs in one game due to a strong On-line made me think we should be able to do the same. Run the ball well (UConn's strength), pass effectively when needed (please Santa make this possible despite OC Charlatan [thanks @giddyup]), and make the necessary tackles... there's no reason why UConn can't be as good or better than Ohio!!!

Reaction Score
The more I see the way the portal is wreaking havoc on teams' ability to maintain any sort of roster continuity the more I'm becoming a believer in what Mario Cristobal and Nick Saban are trying to do/have done over the last couple of years. They both are tracking away from high flying passing attacks in favor of 'smash mouth', ball control run-game oriented offense and stronger defenses. Cristobal has taken a lot of hits amongst Hurricane fans because of the way he prefers to run the offense but I think he has the right practical idea on how to build a program these days-inside out, get in a bunch of 3/4 star recruits and use the strength program to build them up. Five stars always are good but those kids are also always NIL flight risks. Saban couldn't get rid of Bill O'Brien fast enough so he could get Rees in and go back to the offensive philosophy that I think he's most comfortable with. Milroe is arguably the least talented passer on the 'Bama roster but the one thing he does better than the other QBs is use his legs, sometimes functioning as almost an option QB.

Sophisticated passing offenses generally require a lot more time on task and gel over a number of seasons which is well nigh impossible if half your receiving corp and your starting QB decide to transfer every year. Not that good offensive and defensive linemen grow on trees; however I think on balance there are more of them and at the collegiate level, or at least they're easier to coach up on the fly with a robust strength and conditioning program. You can also get really good running backs and DBs in quantity, not so with QBs and receivers.....especially QBs.

Maybe that's what Mora is fighting-his instincts and background point to a coach who wants to win with a ball control offense and defense but the zeitgeist turns the conversation towards, 'we need a stud QB or we aren't going anywhere'. He maybe needs to pick a lane and articulate that lane to the fan base so we can manage our own expectations accordingly.

Just my $.02. Probably wrong but what the hell I'm just an idiot posting on a message board and not paid millions to coach a CFB team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom