Mora on Offense: We have a longs ways to go and a lot of work to do but… | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mora on Offense: We have a longs ways to go and a lot of work to do but…

Reaction Score
Meh, playcalling was odd at key times. More than enough reason to change horses but without a QB and underperforming WRs, passing game is going to stink. We ended up 34th in rushing with our 6th string RB who wasn't even a RB when the season started.
I think we were 84th in yards per carry, though... honestly, our rushing game could have been even better given an All American lineman and two others that were pretty good, but with no real passing game teams loaded the box and easily kept us at bay. Gotta spread the field and throw downfield more - if for no other reason but to limit the box-loading. But, nope, it seemed like 80% of our pass patterns were literally 5 yards or less routes. We played right into the hands of every team we played. Charlton, even with less injuries and defections within the skill positions, just doesn't inspire any confidence in me. How worse could swapping him out be? To me its worth the "gamble" because if you're a very good skill position player (either portal or high school), why would you want to come here given the current state of the offensive scheme?

Reaction Score
I think we were 84th in yards per carry, though... honestly, our rushing game could have been even better given an All American lineman and two others that were pretty good, but with no real passing game teams loaded the box and easily kept us at bay. Gotta spread the field and throw downfield more - if for no other reason but to limit the box-loading. But, nope, it seemed like 80% of our pass patterns were literally 5 yards or less routes. We played right into the hands of every team we played. Charlton, even with less injuries and defections within the skill positions, just doesn't inspire any confidence in me. How worse could swapping him out be? To me its worth the "gamble" because if you're a very good skill position player (either portal or high school), why would you want to come here given the current state of the offensive scheme?
Yes! Gotta stretch the field and make the safeties hesitate.

Reaction Score
We'll see but I won't be surprised if they try and run him out there early.
get his 4 games in to retain redshirt

problem is, does he play meaningful minutes or mop up only? If he's that good, give him meaningful minutes, and retain his redshirt.

second problem is, whats the point of retaining redshirt if the % of people transferring is so high?? everywhere, not just here.

bit of a conundrum, just hope he is that good to make you want to play him next year

Reaction Score
Calling it now, they're gonna put all their eggs in the Welliver basket.
Sounds great. Remember the last time we went with a 3star true frosh from a powerhouse hs in a recruiting hotbed?

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
So much was painful on offense last year.

Do we think Charlton has learned his lesson about not testing the edge 10 times per game? That our receivers have to get beyond the marker on third down routes?

I think we’re gonna know by halftime of game 1 whether Charlton has grown or whether we will have to suffer again.

Reaction Score
Charlton needs to grow bigtime. The amount of times we started out second and long due to his playcalls for wide runs and wide receiver screens was infuriating. The lack of passes to TEs running down the hash marks off play action was also nuts. After we struck gold with Stafford in short yardage situations he did not run other plays off him like a playaction rollout pass or edge run. The trick plays that the team just did not run well which means they did not practice them enough made fans in the stands lose their minds. We need to run base offense well and having a QB who runs well is part of it. Look at DeVito and what he has been able to do for the Giants. Shots downfield have to be taken to win. Otherwise why have wideouts?

Reaction Score
They should play this in a long time out at the Rent. I think a well lubricated crowd would like it.
Definitely when we get the Bulldogs, Tide, Rebels, and Razorbacks at The Rent. This scene still cracks me up. I read Gleason improvised quite a bit. "Nobody's chasin' me boy"

Reaction Score
Why? You think he is significantly worse than Roberson?
Fagnano's first series he looked great. I don't think it's a coincidence that his pattern matched the offense even after he was out injured for the season: a well-thought, well-executed first possession with poor in-game adjustments.

I've said it before, but Fagnano's highlights show a QB with good arm strength and reasonable accuracy, even against decent FBS opposition. He had a really good TD: turnover ratio as well. I won't be the least bit disappointed if I see him again.

Reaction Score
get his 4 games in to retain redshirt

problem is, does he play meaningful minutes or mop up only? If he's that good, give him meaningful minutes, and retain his redshirt.

second problem is, whats the point of retaining redshirt if the % of people transferring is so high?? everywhere, not just here.

bit of a conundrum, just hope he is that good to make you want to play him next year
In this age of NIL and transfer portaling, if he is the one that needs to play to maximize our offensive production in 2024, he should start. No use saving anyone for later years. Win now mentality -- 100%.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Do we think Charlton has learned his lesson about not testing the edge 10 times per game? That our receivers have to get beyond the marker on third down routes?
No.
Sad A Christmas Story GIF by filmeditor

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Sounds great. Remember the last time we went with a 3star true frosh from a powerhouse hs in a recruiting hotbed?
You mean the last time we went bowling?

Reaction Score
Why do so many other teams get ready-to-play kids? Supposedly, the kid can throw. Let’s find some guys that can get open and catch. Preferably downfield.

It’s not like he came from a big 6A Texas Gugg School. He came from a smaller private school league. He looks very good, but everyone’s expectations need be tempered.

We just got a commitment from a CB who is rated higher.

This class of HS recruits actually looks nice.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I fail to see the magical playcalling that is going to show significant improvement. People are recycling the RE era, if we only had a more exciting playbook arguments.

The real issue here is overall speed and decision making by the players. Is there a coach out there that can break through better than Charlton? Almost certainly, but nothing will improve until the QB can make the reads quickly in real time and the receivers be where they are supposed to be consistently.

Key mistakes at the worst moments are what cost us in terms of total wins. Those happened on O, D, ST, and the sideline decision making. Bring in a new guy fine, but eliminating those will help way more than another coaching shuffle. So will better players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom