Monmouth | The Boneyard

Monmouth

Reaction Score
Monmouth-UConn: King Rice sends message about entitlement to young team
Having already lost to Seton Hall and Virginia, Monmouth now travels to XL Center to take on a UConn team that is not in a good place at the moment.

The Huskies were blown out by Michigan State and Arkansas at the Phil Knight Invitational over Thanksgiving weekend, then came home to face Columbia on Wednesday. UConn was down 11 at halftime, as many as 15 in the second half, and needed overtime to survive by two.

Now comes Monmouth. The name is synonymous recently with high-major upsets, but this particular team is not.

"Virginia, Seton Hall, that's high-major basketball," Rice said. "Those are teams that are ranked. I know we knocked some people off a couple of years ago, but you shouldn't think you're just going in their building and knocking them off.

"All this stuff is helping us get better for later. I told them we are not going to UConn just to see their building. We are going there, we have to start believing we can go in there and knock people off. We're going to work on that confidence the next couple days."

Reaction Score
Monmouth-UConn: King Rice sends message about entitlement to young team
Having already lost to Seton Hall and Virginia, Monmouth now travels to XL Center to take on a UConn team that is not in a good place at the moment.

The Huskies were blown out by Michigan State and Arkansas at the Phil Knight Invitational over Thanksgiving weekend, then came home to face Columbia on Wednesday. UConn was down 11 at halftime, as many as 15 in the second half, and needed overtime to survive by two.

Now comes Monmouth. The name is synonymous recently with high-major upsets, but this particular team is not.

"Virginia, Seton Hall, that's high-major basketball," Rice said. "Those are teams that are ranked. I know we knocked some people off a couple of years ago, but you shouldn't think you're just going in their building and knocking them off.

"All this stuff is helping us get better for later. I told them we are not going to UConn just to see their building. We are going there, we have to start believing we can go in there and knock people off. We're going to work on that confidence the next couple days."

If I'm reading this correctly, he is struggling not to say, UConn isn't Seton Hall or Virginia. Which is true. But still...

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Might be an early audition for Mr. Rice.
I know nothing about King Rice other than his excellent name. Just watch and look to see which team looks to be the recipient of better coaching, runs better stuff, etc. Columbia looked like the better coached team last time out, not even a contest.

Reaction Score
I'd be scared of this game regardless of what happened at PK80. Monmouth is more than capable of beating us and we absolutely cannot let it happen.

Reaction Score
I know nothing about King Rice other than his excellent name. Just watch and look to see which team looks to be the recipient of better coaching, runs better stuff, etc. Columbia looked like the better coached team last time out, not even a contest.

Top PG recruit in the nation many moons ago. Went to UNC.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
This is the defintion of a trap game. I'm worried about this one, gang.
Unfortunately we have to worry about every game regardless of the opponent. Hopefully that feeling will start abating as the season progresses. I know everyone, I mean EVERYONE is pissed right now but it's still early in the season and we're 5-2 when the best we could have hoped for is 6-1. My avatar may have rose colored glasses on but I don't. But... I'm not quitting on them yet. Gotta go full Al Davis - just win baby.

Reaction Score
This guy would absolutely be on my short list to replace Ollie for next season. His kids are well coached and play hard. The thing that would concern me is that his team lost in the league tournament in back to back seasons as the #1 seed.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Thanks for the info Tcf

However, as expected, its a great place for the "who can we replace KO with" gang to hold session

I've seen Monmouth play vs Seton Hall and vs Penn (another one of those lousy Ivies!) and they are a good team with lots of spunk. They were matching Hall up until about 7 minutes remaining but started to commit some WTF fouls. Penn just couldn't miss from 3 for an extended period and ended up in OT when again fouls hurt Monmouth.
Make no mistake - they will be a tough team to play
I think I remember something about them playing Kensucky in December

Reaction Score
This guy would absolutely be on my short list to replace Ollie for next season. His kids are well coached and play hard. Only concern is his team lost in the league tournament 2 years in a row.

Reaction Score
They were matching Hall up until about 7 minutes remaining but started to commit some WTF fouls.
I dunno, it did not look THAT close.

Attachments

• Mon and Shall.png
    Mon and Shall.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 47

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Thanks for the info Tcf

However, as expected, its a great place for the "who can we replace KO with" gang to hold session

I've seen Monmouth play vs Seton Hall and vs Penn (another one of those lousy Ivies!) and they are a good team with lots of spunk. They were matching Hall up until about 7 minutes remaining but started to commit some WTF fouls. Penn just couldn't miss from 3 for an extended period and ended up in OT when again fouls hurt Monmouth.
Make no mistake - they will be a tough team to play
I think I remember something about them playing Kensucky in December

I dunno, it did not look THAT close.
Looks like the Hall didn’t score for like 8 minutes and still won by 19.

Reaction Score
Think about this: We’re concerned and worried about playing Monmouth. At home. Is there a short pier where I can take a long walk?

Reaction Score
Think about this: We’re concerned and worried about playing Monmouth. At home. Is there a short pier where I can take a long walk?
Listen you should be concerned about playing everyone.
This isn’t the 1990’s ,the gap between experienced mid-majors and majors especially one who is searching for an identity like us ,is smaller than you think.
Some of these kids met for the first time in Sept.
The landscape both Early season and NCAA is riddled with losing teams that didn’t play everyone like they were a top ten team.
I have to laugh at people criticizing KO for building up Monmouth at the last press conference. To not do that is a deriliction of coaching responsibility.
This team needs to take it one game at a time and bring their A effort every night ,the rest will take care of itself.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom