Monique Billings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Monique Billings

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
She wasn't a lure for Buck. I recollect she began as a walkon and received her scholarship either the second semester of her freshman year or her sophomore year.

You're right. Jacquie was originally going to go to Div III WestConn but changed to UConn after Geno offered her a walk-on spot. He did so because he needed to bring in a back up point guard. Jacquie's freshman class included Tina, Kaili, and Meg Gardler; sophomores were Renee, Kalana, Cassie, and Tahirah; juniors were Mel, Charde, Ketia, and Brittany. There were no seniors. So, you could see Geno looking down the road at Mel's and Ketia's graduation and seeing the need for another experienced ball handler.

Geno had a commitment from #2 ranked Jacki Gemelos that year, which scared away a lot of recruits. When she reneged on her commitment and Geno missed on Epiphanny Prince (yes, Geno recruited her hard) and Dee Dee Jernigan from that class, he was in a bind. (I don't remember if he recruited Dymond Simon but seem to think he did. ) So, he recruited Jacqui as a walk on.

On edit: Not Dee Dee Jernigan - Dee Davis, I think, who went to Vandy. Friend of Mel's. Dee was a whisper away from committing to UConn but didn't think she was good enough (she was!).

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That's how I thought I remembered but didn't want to overstate it.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Agree. My point is that high rankings don't guarantee a Final Four - or anything else, really.
Past Performance is No Guarantee of Future Results

Its just like investing...
"

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
thanks I was just clearing up Vowel's comment about Jac & Buck

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You're right. Jacquie was originally going to go to Div III WestConn but changed to UConn after Geno offered her a walk-on spot. He did so because he needed to bring in a back up point guard. Jacquie's freshman class included Tina, Kaili, and Meg Gardler; sophomores were Renee, Kalana, Cassie, and Tahirah; juniors were Mel, Charde, Ketia, and Brittany. There were no seniors. So, you could see Geno looking down the road at Mel's and Ketia's graduation and seeing the need for another experienced ball handler.

Geno had a commitment from #2 ranked Jacki Gemelos that year, which scared away a lot of recruits. When she reneged on her commitment and Geno missed on Epiphanny Prince (yes, Geno recruited her hard) and Dee Dee Jernigan from that class, he was in a bind. (I don't remember if he recruited Dymond Simon but seem to think he did. ) So, he recruited Jacqui as a walk on.

On edit: Not Dee Dee Jernigan - Dee Davis, I think, who went to Vandy. Friend of Mel's. Dee was a whisper away from committing to UConn but didn't think she was good enough (she was!).
I'm always amazed (in a good way) about how much UCONN fans remember about the past vis-a-vis recruiting. I honestly have no idea he was looking hard at Prince. Boy she would have been a fun one to watch grow and progress at UCONN.

Reaction Score
... Ashley never impressed me in any kind of meaningful minutes ...
Ashley Morgan thoroughly annoyed CVS with 12 unexpected points in one close game against Rutgers. That was meaningful to me!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ashley Morgan thoroughly annoyed CVS with 12 unexpected points in one close game against Rutgers. That was meaningful to me!

Morgan Valley also had a great game vs Rutgers at the Civic Center. I remember DT ribbing her about it and Morgan said, "That's me; Rutgers-killer". I think Phil has the quote on his site.

Reaction Score
Geno was heavily interested in both Courtney Paris and Abby Waner, but not so much in either of their sisters.

I'm pretty sure Fernandes was approached AFTER Buck gave her verbal.

Just to correct a few messages here; Correction #1-Buck was not given an offer until her junior year and signed in November of her junior year, when Fernandes was already on the UConn roster. Per a CT writer's personal report from what was Buck's sophomore year and Fernandes' senior year (a writer whose name I cannot mention out of respect for the confidence requested-I know this is annoying, I'm sorry), Chris Dailey watched a regular season Stonington High School game and liked Buck's mobility in the post, her long arms and ability to get in the passing lanes as a post, and her hard work on the block while being hacked by smaller and much less athletic high school post players. Geno then watched the state championship game that year, both times the coaches there to see Buck, and was in fact more impressed with Fernandes as a scorer, but primarily because he couldn't understand why she didn't have better offers than Western. Geno knew from the start that in taking Fernandes, he was getting a three sport athlete more than a basketball player, a smart girl who would work hard, push others, and maybe even improve enough to come off the bench towards the end of her career.

Correction #2 from a comment made about him offering her to fill a back-up point guard role-it's possible that because he missed out on Gemelos and a few other guards, he did want to take at least one in the Tina class of forwards and centers, but Fernandes was not a point guard in high school. There were three other seniors in the Stonington starting lineup (two other guards and one forward) along with then sophomore Buck at center. Fernandes played off guard, averaged 18 points, and only handled if and when they were pressed and the guards therefore brought it up by committee. Fellow senior Morgan Rein was their point guard. Fernandes was NOT a point guard and was never expected to be at UConn. You might be wondering how the **** I remember or even take an interest in any of this, but my sister was an all-conference player a few towns away that year, so I saw Buck many times and Fernandes two or three times. Even though I was never sure how she could get minutes at UConn, Jacqui was a very good scorer by southeastern Connecticut standards, and I enjoyed watching. Still wonder if the offer was made to give them an advantage for Buck over Muffet and VanDerveer, both of whom had already traveled to CT before Geno saw Buck. I guess in the end it doesn't even matter though. Bottom line; good for Fernandes that she had such a great high school career and worked hard enough to impress Geno in landing a scholarship.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Morgan was definitely the more talented of the two, but Ashley led the whole world in floor burns per minute played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom