Monday games: ND @ NC State, Oregon @ OSU | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Monday games: ND @ NC State, Oregon @ OSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You seem obsessed with UConn in Albany. I've been to the Albany regional. It's a polite crowd but hardly raucous. A better team can and should win there.
How long has it been since UCONN lost a game in Albany. BTW, I think a team having to go to Portland to face Oregon for any team not on West Coast would be disadvantage in crowd support. Home court is a big advantage when teams are closely matched.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
CViv hallmark - bad offense.

In Jan (roughly), they scored 73, 73, 74, 71, 62, 65, 76, 66 (L), 69, 69 going 9-1. (Avg = 70)
Since then 46, 48, 39. All losses.
Doubtful they'll break 50 tonight either.
What happened?

Reaction Score
Ugh. I hope I'm dead wrong but those words have me thinking of the three dreaded letters.

Yikes. Hate to hear that. Vic said the same thing when Chloe went down earlier this year. Hate for anyone to lose a player.

Reaction Score
Watched the last 6:00 of that game. Was a great game! Not sure why Rueck took out the big girl late, but it was almost like they couldn't/wouldn't throw it to her. When they did, good things happened. Oregon had one of those nights where nothing seems to go right. Sabrina looked gassed in the 4th.

Reaction Score
You seem obsessed with UConn in Albany. I've been to the Albany regional. It's a polite crowd but hardly raucous. A better team can and should win there.
To be fair this is probably the first year in a while where getting to the FF wasn’t a sure thing, though. Crowd could be a lot more into this year.

Reaction Score
Nice run of posts on the OSU vs UO game. Thanks. Just got home after being at the game. A couple of responses to some of the posts made tonight. First, Aleah Goodman has played this well all year. Starting makes no difference at OSU. How many minutes you play does. Rueck is a Jedi Master. Our BIGS are playing BIG, and changing shots in the paint which is HUGE for OSU. The crowd tonight was unreal. It was friggin loud and energized. I think it affected both teams. OSU played great defense tonight, and that is why OSU won tonight. Held Oregon 28 points under their average. After the Stanford loss, Rueck has gone to his 6'8" center starting now, and, backing her up with 6'7" Patricia Morris. I really hope Ruthy Hebard is OK. Oregon is a great team, and, fun to watch. I really want Ruthy to be OK. I have tickets to the Portland regional, and want to see the Ducks in the Final 4. Of course, I want the OSU Beavers to be there as well. I'm sure Charlie Creme will discount the OSU win tonight. I know OSU is going to be shipped to another region, and I don't care where. I just want OSU to be a top 16 team, hosting the 1st two games. Assuming OSU doesn't lose the next 4 games, I think that was accomplished tonight. GO BEAVS!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
. Held Oregon 28 points under their average

This deserves to be highlighted. UO was leading the nation in 3 point shooting, they were 5-22 (23%) tonight and 36% overall from the floor.

Reaction Score
Really great game. One of the most entertaining games this year IMO. OSU is going to be immensely dangerous, especially if they end up in Portland as a 3 seed. W.

If Oregon is 1 in Portland, then by rule ore st cannot be there.

Reaction Score
Oregon-Oregon State entertaining game. State will move up a bit in polls and there will be some meaningless musical chairs among top six, anyone of which could win national championship on any given night.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
How long has it been since UCONN lost a game in Albany. BTW, I think a team having to go to Portland to face Oregon for any team not on West Coast would be disadvantage in crowd support. Home court is a big advantage when teams are closely matched.

UConn has been to the Albany regional twice. In 2014-2015 UConn had Stewart et al so it didn’t matter where they played. UConn was in Albany last year and beat South Carolina by 29. The crowd was a non-factor in that game.

You made it sound like playing UConn in Albany is like playing OSU at Gill. That is not the case. UConn in Bridgeport is more of a crowd advantage. The advantage of Albany is not having to get on a plane.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
To be fair this is probably the first year in a while where getting to the FF wasn’t a sure thing, though. Crowd could be a lot more into this year.

Maybe.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
At least for this year, parity in women's basketball seems to have arrived. No team is a sure bet for a final four berth.

Charlie Creme hasn't had to work this hard on his brackets in years. All the pundits and experts are scrambling to figure out what will happen because the script changes daily.

And nobody is screaming UConn is bad for women's basketball. Enjoy the ride!!!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Didn't like to see Ionsecu flop in the last 30 seconds of the game. Got the call on the 1st one that resulted in three made free throws. The flop could have paid huge dividends if Oregon St didn't make their Free Throws. Didn't work with the last shot of the game.

I also didn't agree with Oregon putting Oregon St on the line with 17 seconds left in the game. They had just gotten a tie up and the next tie up the ball would have gone to Oregon. Oregon St made their Free Throws. If Oregon plays good defense, they get the ball back with approx 3-4 seconds left in the game, they might have tied the game. Fouling Oregon St did extend the game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UConn has lost 17 games in 10 1/2 seasons. They don’t usually lose anywhere

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
UConn has been to the Albany regional twice. In 2014-2015 UConn had Stewart et al so it didn’t matter where they played. UConn was in Albany last year and beat South Carolina by 29. The crowd was a non-factor in that game.

You made it sound like playing UConn in Albany is like playing OSU at Gill. That is not the case. UConn in Bridgeport is more of a crowd advantage. The advantage of Albany is not having to get on a plane.
I Beg to differ. I was at both Regionals in Albany, and the home crowd was most definitely a factor. In 2015 the Huskies demolished TX in the Sweet 16, but then faced upstart Dayton in the Elite 8. Dayton had stunned Louisville in the Sweet 16.

Dayton proceeded to stun everyone at the TUC again by taking a lead into halftime against the Huskies. During the 2nd half the TUC was extremely loud in support of UConn as the Huskies came back, eventually winning by a comfortable margin.

Last year, UConn pretty much owned SC in the Elite 8. But Duke and Jordan Canada provided more of a challenge in the Sweet 16. While the ultimate margin was comfortable, the crowd was large, loud and definitely pro-UConn.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Didn't like to see Ionsecu flop in the last 30 seconds of the game. Got the call on the 1st one that resulted in three made free throws. The flop could have paid huge dividends if Oregon St didn't make their Free Throws. Didn't work with the last shot of the game.

I also didn't agree with Oregon putting Oregon St on the line with 17 seconds left in the game. They had just gotten a tie up and the next tie up the ball would have gone to Oregon. Oregon St made their Free Throws. If Oregon plays good defense, they get the ball back with approx 3-4 seconds left in the game, they might have tied the game. Fouling Oregon St did extend the game.

on the bright side, Pivec drew an Offensive Foul on Ionescu on a critical play at the end. Pivec sold it well. :)

Reaction Score
I Beg to differ. I was at both Regionals in Albany, and the home crowd was most definitely a factor. In 2015 the Huskies demolished TX in the Sweet 16, but then faced upstart Dayton in the Elite 8. Dayton had stunned Louisville in the Sweet 16.

Dayton proceeded to stun everyone at the TUC again by taking a lead into halftime against the Huskies. During the 2nd half the TUC was extremely loud in support of UConn as the Huskies came back, eventually winning by a comfortable margin.

Last year, UConn pretty much owned SC in the Elite 8. But Duke and Jordan Canada provided more of a challenge in the Sweet 16. While the ultimate margin was comfortable, the crowd was large, loud and definitely pro-UConn.
Based upon post I have seen on the BY many UConn fans have already purchased tickets to Albany. I would expect there are a limited amt of seats available for any opposing team and that for any game UConn plays the crowd will be 75% UConn fans. It obviously will be easier and cheaper for UConn fans to attend games than either ND, MSST, or Louisville. Looking at the results of games this year it is apparent a large number of supporting fans affect the outcome of WBB games. To me the men’s game is less affected by the home court advantage but I do not know why that is the case.

Reaction Score
And the badass award for the Oregon/OSU game goes to (weak drum roll)....Scott Rueck. A team he has taught patience, calm execution, confidence and attitude. Also of course how to wear other teams out with high post screens. When Tara retires Rueck in my mind automatically becomes the best coach in the Pac 12. When Geno and Muffet retire this guy IMO becomes the best in WCBB. Even if you don't agree with my assessment you have to agree he'll be in the conversation.
As many have said, Rueck's done an outstanding job at OSU - this rematch and victory is just another example of his coaching prowess. Additionally, a win like this is simply another example of the greater parity in WCBB. Not only does he know his Xs & Os, but, as mnetioned previously on the Boneyard, with their height, they'll be in the conversation of who the top team is, for the next 3-4 years. Believe it or not, having that sort of the length up front, helps.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Based upon post I have seen on the BY many UConn fans have already purchased tickets to Albany. I would expect there are a limited amt of seats available for any opposing team and that for any game UConn plays the crowd will be 75% UConn fans. It obviously will be easier and cheaper for UConn fans to attend games than either ND, MSST, or Louisville. Looking at the results of games this year it is apparent a large number of supporting fans affect the outcome of WBB games. To me the men’s game is less affected by the home court advantage but I do not know why that is the case.
You got that right. Other than the handful of tickets the NCAA holds for each of the 4 teams that make it to the Regionals, UConn fans basically purchased all the prime seats at the TUC months ago.

If you’re planning on buying tickets to the Albany Regional after the brackets are announced you have two choices. There are always a handful of tickets available on the secondary market for a premium and there may be some nosebleed seats available if they open up the 2nd tier at the TUC. In 2015 they had closed and curtained off the 2nd tier. Last year they opened it up, and sold a few thousand more tickets.

After the Sweet 16 games my wife and I ran into a couple very nice ladies from SC, who were in Albany to support their beloved Gamecocks. They remarked that they were sitting up in the second tier, a long way from the court.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You’ve never been to a UConn game, I guess. It’s not busloads of students, it’s 10,000 60-somethings (and up) in assorted colored clothing sitting on their hands after UConn takes a lead. They’ll leave with 5 minutes left in the game to avoid traffic. They’ll clap politely for the other team and cheer for the other teams pep band if they’re good.

I remember in the Hartford Regional years ago, UConn fans cheered for Tennessee transfer April McDivitt who left to go to UCSB. UCSB was playing UConn and April was making crazy threes from all over the court. The crowd in Hartford gave her thunderous applause.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I have a theory that one really loud fan goes to almost every game all over the country. Especially audible during FTs. I call that fan "The Screaming Banshee."
Banshee is quite appropriate for the Fighting Irish game!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You’ve never been to a UConn game, I guess. It’s not busloads of students, it’s 10,000 60-somethings (and up) in assorted colored clothing sitting on their hands after UConn takes a lead. They’ll leave with 5 minutes left in the game to avoid traffic. They’ll clap politely for the other team and cheer for the other teams pep band if they’re good.

I remember in the Hartford Regional years ago, UConn fans cheered for Tennessee transfer April McDivitt who left to go to UCSB. UCSB was playing UConn and April was making crazy threes from all over the court. The crowd in Hartford gave her thunderous applause.
Nan, My wife and I certainly fit the 60 something age description. But we would never leave a UConn game until the game clock hits double zero. We wouldn’t want to miss a late game basket by Molly, Tierney or the most memorable of all, Polly in 2016

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Exactly.

Reaction Score

NaN, I am sure if there is an important competitive game the Albany crowd will be just as enthusiastic as the OSU crowd was last night. I have not attended any basketball game for a long time but I remember when I was much younger attending MSST men’s basketball games was an event. Although MSST basketball was not really good we went to the game to raise h**l and it was loud. I do remember one game where LSU and Pistol Pete came to that old gym and we were all over Pistol during the first half, during the second half Pete got hot and started making impossible shots, he won us over and everyone was cheering for Pete to do his magic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom