Molly Bent and Kyla Irwin - will they impact UCONN's run this year? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Molly Bent and Kyla Irwin - will they impact UCONN's run this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno has said a million times he's not going to play someone unless he knows what he's going to get from them. It may be that Kyla and Molly have shown signs of nerves in games or freshman-type inconsistencies so the last thing Geno was going to do is put them on the court in a tight game, on the road in front of 12,000 hostile fans. Maybe Molly and Kyla would have been fine but maybe they'd've been deers in the headlights. I don't know but more importantly, Geno didn't know either, which is my guess as to why he didn't put them in.
The premise of this entire thread, that (Molly & Kyla) are not playing well in games or practice is false. Molly played and played well in the FSU game. Molly threw a 3/4 court pass that hit Napheesa right in stride for a layup, for some reason the box score did not credit her with an assist . Molly attempted another pass of the same length to KLS that was intercepted for a turnover. She was active on defense have two deflections of the ball in her short time on the court. Kyla played 17 minutes during the LSU game-that is almost half the game. They are both Freshmen on a very talented team even by UCONN standards. Molly for example is shooting 56%-2nd best on the team. They are both doing just fine.

Reaction Score
Wow, there is a lot of negative sentiment in this thread about Molly and Kyla which I do not share, and I doubt that Geno does.

First of all, where do we get this idea that he "always" plays only 7 or 8 players? That has been true in the last few years at UConn, but I think that was because there has been a significant drop off in the contribution level of the specific players beyond the top 7 or 8. But in 2000 or 2001, and recently on the Olympic teams, he has been quite willing to spread the minutes when he had many players contributing at an approximately equal level. I think next year will be similar, and you will see a much longer bench.

Also, hasn't anyone noticed that Natalie Butler was outside the regular rotation last year, but is in that rotation this year and doing as well as could be expected? Being outside the top 7 or 8 is not a life sentence. For that matter, Gabby didn't play a ton of minutes in her freshman year (zero in the Stanford loss), and look at her now!

So why haven't Kyla and especially Molly gotten more minutes recently, especially since Geno said in a halftime interview on Sunday that he would prefer to substitute more than he has? I can only speculate, but my speculation is this:

• Kyla, mainly because she is lacking in foot speed and does not seem to be in top physical condition, looks like a long-term project. I do not foresee her getting significant minutes this year unless injuries or foul trouble make that necessary. She seems to be on course for a Heather Buck kind of career if she stays at UConn.
  • Molly seems to me to be an entirely different case. I was frankly quite surprised that Geno did not give her about 10 minutes or so on Sunday with Saniya absent. She is in great shape, works hard, plays tenacious defense, and can hit some jump shots. I'm sure she makes mistakes (maybe more than most freshmen because she is trying so hard), but I doubt that she would have given away a double-digit lead if she had played 10 minutes in the KSU game.
  • So I can only speculate that Geno is sending some sort of message to Molly -- maybe about calming down and letting the game come to her, and taking in more of what is going on around her so she doesn't miss opportunities? I really don't know.
I cautiously expect that Molly will get more minutes as the season continues, and hopefully follow a path similar to Natalie or Gabby.
Nice, we'll thought out post! I didn't realize Kyla was somewhat out of shape - maybe like Dolson was in freshman year? If so, they will get her conditioning. I think Molly reminds me of a young Kelly Farris. Yes, she needs to cool her engines a tad, but I admire her hustle. I love how Geno brings in Butler to neutralize other team bags. Like, "their bigs had their fun, let's shut them down and make our run. Tiffany Hayes improved when she slowed it down a tad. I am impressed with these young ladies.

Reaction Score
The premise of this entire thread, that (Molly & Kyla) are not playing well in games or practice is false. Molly played and played well in the FSU game. Molly threw a 3/4 court pass that hit Napheesa right in stride for a layup, for some reason the box score did not credit her with an assist . Molly attempted another pass of the same length to KLS that was intercepted for a turnover. She was active on defense have two deflections of the ball in her short time on the court. Kyla played 17 minutes during the LSU game-that is almost half the game. They are both Freshmen on a very talented team even by UCONN standards. Molly for example is shooting 56%-2nd best on the team. They are both doing just fine.
To be sure, I am not negative on both; I want to see more to form an opinion. I saw that great Molly pass, but when the other pass was not successful, he took Molly out. Time will tell, right? I think Butler will shine even more as the year Progresses!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I just think that the time to develop that depth is to give a little run to two struggling freshmen during non conference games in November and December. In the old days coaches used those games to sort out what they had and experiment a little.
For a lot of teams the OOC is in fact a time to experiment because they line up the sisters of mercy teams to come and get their butts kicked and the starters create a 40-6 lead after one quarter. For Uconn, the time to experiment comes later in the year - their conference schedule is going to have enough easy games and by then the freshman will have some solid knowledge of the offense and defense and hopefully will not screw up the starters they play with. The OOC this year particularly is a killer and the few easier games they have had and provided good breaks to try and iron out the kinks for the starters. All seven of the basic rotation are shouldering hugely different roles this year from anything that came before so these first games are all about getting them right against fierce competition.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For a lot of teams the OOC is in fact a time to experiment because they line up the sisters of mercy teams to come and get their butts kicked and the starters create a 40-6 lead after one quarter. For Uconn, the time to experiment comes later in the year - their conference schedule is going to have enough easy games and by then the freshman will have some solid knowledge of the offense and defense and hopefully will not screw up the starters they play with. The OOC this year particularly is a killer and the few easier games they have had and provided good breaks to try and iron out the kinks for the starters. All seven of the basic rotation are shouldering hugely different roles this year from anything that came before so these first games are all about getting them right against fierce competition.
What you have outlined is that Geno sets up his schedule in reverse of many other schools. Part of that is by design and partof it is simply in recognition that the AAC does not present the same level of competition as the P-5 conferences.

One additional component is the Feb game vs SC. With the tourney about a month away that one game gives Geno a great opportunity to see exactly where his team is against top competition.

Reaction Score
I think he has answered this and the original question in an interview posted here, sometime back. To para.: the more players you put in the more disorganization you risk creating. Its a question of compliment, familiarity, etc. = time spent together on the court. This begs the question of what happens when there are potential AAs' on the bench. What about next year? Assuming Crystal starts, who of today's starters will sit and/or come off the bench: Gabby? Collier? Nurse? That will be a hard pill to swallow.
So what! If you are leading by 30 points, how does a little disorganization hurt, especially if the players learn from it.

Reaction Score
I'm not really worried about Molly or Kyla at all. I understand where mostly everyone is coming from, but I think the bottom line is that we just don't know how they're consistently doing in practice, what kind of improvements they're making, or where their minds are at. They're 9 games into their freshman season at one of the most recognizable programs in the country - not to mention that they're college freshmen and are living away from home. (I know Mass. and Penn. aren't that far away, but adjusting to living away from home and essentially being on your own is tough, and that's not even beginning to cover school work and the adjustments that come with being a college freshman, student athlete or not.) It's growing pains. Geno is likely still trying to figure them out and they're likely still trying to figure him out. Not everyone comes into the program ready to be thrown to the wolves, and that's okay. I think, in a sense, comparing them to others that did different things and reacted different during their freshman seasons is futile. Molly is Molly. Kyla is Kyla.

Do I think they have an impact on UConn's run this year? Of course I do! Maybe not in the in-game moments people are talking about, but I don't doubt for a second that they'll have an impact or that they're already having an impact. They're in practice, working hard with their teammates, trying not only to better themselves as players and people but help their teammates better themselves as players and people. They're on the sidelines cheering their teammates on when it's crunch time. Kyla goes hard for her team and it's so evident if you spend 30 seconds watching her on the bench during a game. These aren't the show stopping, wildly impactful in-game moments, but they are already a crucial part of the team just because of what they do in practice and how they support their teammates. And when the time is right, when Geno trusts them and they've earned a vote of confidence from him, we'll see them in the game striving to make him and the fans proud.

Not everyone is going to be a star, and not everyone has to be. They're still important members of the team, and they'll have some sort of impact on the team whether it's on or off the court - or both.

EDIT: It also makes sense that Geno would give the returning 4 as much time to gel as possible. Every single one of them is transitioning into a new role this year, and how they've learned to vibe and work with each other thus far will be very important come March. There's always a method to Geno's "madness."

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So what! If you are leading by 30 points, how does a little disorganization hurt, especially if the players learn from it.
But do they learn or do they create the same bad habits that the coaches are trying to fix - the best teaching happens when one freshman is able to play minutes with 4 starters, but it only works if they know enough to learn from the starters rather than throwing the starters into chaos. Geno seldom wants to just throw players out there and let them play bad basketball - it offends him and he limits it to as few minutes as he can. He did it against DePaul and it was pretty ugly in the fourth Q, but he wanted to rest players for the upcoming battle.

Reaction Score
+1 to UcMiami above. Remember when Geno was yelling at Gabby (who had an unbelievable game) in the timeout with 1:00 to go against ND because she didn't make a rebound he thought she should? There is nothing that is not important...and that starts with going full speed all the time in practice.

Reaction Score
What you have outlined is that Geno sets up his schedule in reverse of many other schools. Part of that is by design and partof it is simply in recognition that the AAC does not present the same level of competition as the P-5 conferences.

One additional component is the Feb game vs SC. With the tourney about a month away that one game gives Geno a great opportunity to see exactly where his team is against top competition.

Old dude, nice posts (s). One thing about S.C. at UCONN... if UCONN remains unbeaten, that game will be #100.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I don't agree at all.

1-- Irwin hasn't shown an ability in games to hit 3 pointers. And size isn't a guarantee a player can defend. We are winning right now for a reason- Butler has size to some extent and we have enough quickness in another. Realistically you aren't supposed to have undefeated seasons in which nearly all your games are won by 10 or more. Sure we can still get beat. But it doesn't mean you NEED to sacrifice taking out an all-american caliber player (Collier or Gabby or Lou) because a Iriwn is slightly taller.

2-- I love love love what Butler is doing. Other than being more efficient with her chances, I don't agree UCONN should be "looking more for her" if that is what you are suggesting. There are 5 players on this UCONN team that are all-american "talents" with the ball in their hands. You want the ball mainly in their hands. They can make more plays. Not to look actively for a less talented player just because she is bigger.

3-- We have seen over the years Tuck make mincemeat out of bigger players. Size that is slow can be defeated. US UCONN fans know this 1st hand. The tough schedule is coming to a close. After that there will be very very few tough games before the NCAA's. There is no reason to not work on doing what we have exactly done these past few months. No one has beaten us. We've lost one or two games in the past and still won the title.

4-- I want to add again I love what Butler is doing. love it. I'm impresses with her passing. If she doesn't try to do too much offensively I like her face up shot. But we're not going to win games vs the elite teams with Natalie getting 16 in the paint. We're gonna win a lot by her playing solid defense and rebounding and passing and hitting open shots. If our "big" can consistently do that -- then that is super tremendous. And for the most part vs the elite teams she has held up very well. I am so proud of her effort.

You can disagree all you want. Most freshmen are judged by what they did in high school Irwin could hit the three in high school. That is what I was basing my comment on. When Butler is in the game it would be good for the team for her to be a threat to score because sometimes when she is in there she's in with another sub and then you don't have five scorers on the floor. Also, it will occupy the other teams bigs and open the lane for the other players. Another thing, how many three point shots has Irwin taken for you to say she has not shown an ability to hit them. You have your opinions and I have mine.

Reaction Score
You can disagree all you want. Most freshmen are judged by what they did in high school Irwin could hit the three in high school. That is what I was basing my comment on. When Butler is in the game it would be good for the team for her to be a threat to score because sometimes when she is in there she's in with another sub and then you don't have five scorers on the floor. Also, it will occupy the other teams bigs and open the lane for the other players. Another thing, how many three point shots has Irwin taken for you to say she has not shown an ability to hit them. You have your opinions and I have mine.

Most freshmen at UCONN are judged at how they perform on the floor once they put on they put on the UCONN jersey. We've heard many times H/s is nothing like the jump here to UCONN standards. Ekmark didn't shoot well for UCONN. In H/s she was a star shooter but not at UCONN. Her h/s shooting prowess doesn't mean we should have played her vs Syracuse because Lou was out even though maybe we could have used a replacement shooter. You don't go taking the ball out of your best scorers hands to appease a much less talented player.

When Butler is in the game, she is usually playing with a minimum of 2 all-american talent-type of stars if not 4 stars (Collier, Gabby, Lou, Kia and Danger). In the NCAA's these 5 talented players (Chong is talented too but not a/a caliber talent) will be the ones called on to significantly score not Nat. These are the players Nat needs to be accustomed to playing well with as a complimentary player. All 5 of the UCONN players mentioned are significantly different and will play different too depending on the tough team they face/ the matchup on that particular night. That understanding of the stars capabilities and how to play off of them on offense and defense doesn't happen over night. This should be more of a focus for Nat rather than "points scored." Not every player needs to be a scorer in order to be very good. It doesn't mean she can't keep plugging away but there is a reason why she hasn't been a focal part of the offense. The others are better. The 11 time NC coach realizes this.

And no way do I believe Nat is capable of "opening the lane" for our other players. The 5stars I mentioned and even Chong can "open the lane" better than Nat. Nat would be the 7th option to open up the lane. Teams will give Nat that 15 foot jump shot. They'll sag in the lane daring her to shoot. The other 5 players I've mentioned and even Chong are much more explosive. I prefer Nat to try to be the big that can hit an occasional jumper but focus offensively on her passing and setting picks and getting offensive rebounds and limit her turnovers. For offensive rebounds, don't force the shot, throw it back it out if she's in a box. Defensively, rebound and defend and make smart strong outlet passes.

Same goes for Kyla and Molly. As of right now their roles should be to play off the stars. Though I must say with Molly she always looks pretty good out there. Right now with Kyla I wouldn't trust her if we were playing a tough team and we had a 20 point lead unless there weren't many minutes left in the game. As you say - we both have opinions.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So many pessimists with so much time. I'm glad none of you are coaching or we'd have nobody. Along with being pessimistic, apparently some of you are clairvoyant... "They won't get minutes"... LOL. Oh well this gives me something to laugh at. :D

Reaction Score
Come on, man! Give Maria some credit. 9 assists and o trunovers in the Final Four. I couldn't do that with Dee and Maya on the floor. In any case it's fun to dream of Molly and Kyla becoming stars. Let's encourage these classy youngsters to give it their all. It's exciting to watch them striving do what others say can't be done. We appreciate that, ladies.
I actually started watching her when she was a freshman in HS. Two things impressed me first her outside shot and second was the ice in her veins. She always had the same faceless emotions and for her to have it that young is very rare. She was very composed then most of the players in Ct. but not as talented or athletic as them. Playing the last two years with Diana made all of them better not just Maria but also Moore, Battle, Turner and Strother. Taurasi was unselfish, she had to be the leader and trust her teammates through the tough games and took over when needed. The gameplan was always to stop Dee with a double or triple team a box and 1 or try to faceguard her to make her teammates beat them. Diana made them all better players that is why she still is the GOAT!

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I have liked what I have seen from both Molly and Kyla. They appear to be great teammates. They will get valuable playing experience once the AAC schedule kicks in. How they perform in those games and in practice will dictate the extent to which they get on the court in the post-season. Based upon the one practice I saw, Molly is a very energetic practice player, and Kyla works hard also. At a minimum, they will give the starters some needed rest as they march through the AAC.

I went back to the box scores of the four most recent championship games won by UConn by 10 points or less. Interestingly, in each of those games, Geno played 7 players.

1. 2003 - 73-68 over Tennessee. Taurasi 37 minutes, Turner 21, J. Moore 35, Conlon 39, Strother 32, Battle 12, Crockett 24.

2. 2004 - 70-61 over Tennessee. Taurasi 37, Turner 33, J. Moore 30, Conlon 33, Strother 37, Battle 15, Crockett 15.

3. 2010 - 53-47 over Stanford. M. Moore 37, Charles 38, Hayes 30, Doty 36, Greene 32, Faris 25, McLaren 2.

4. 2015 - 63-53 over Notre Dame. Tuck 40, Lewis 40, Stewart 39, Jefferson 40, Nurse 28, Williams 3, Stokes 10.

Takeaway? That Geno is not afraid to go with 7 if that is what it takes.

Reaction Score
I'm not really worried about Molly or Kyla at all. I understand where mostly everyone is coming from, but I think the bottom line is that we just don't know how they're consistently doing in practice, what kind of improvements they're making, or where their minds are at. They're 9 games into their freshman season at one of the most recognizable programs in the country - not to mention that they're college freshmen and are living away from home. (I know Mass. and Penn. aren't that far away, but adjusting to living away from home and essentially being on your own is tough, and that's not even beginning to cover school work and the adjustments that come with being a college freshman, student athlete or not.) It's growing pains. Geno is likely still trying to figure them out and they're likely still trying to figure him out. Not everyone comes into the program ready to be thrown to the wolves, and that's okay. I think, in a sense, comparing them to others that did different things and reacted different during their freshman seasons is futile. Molly is Molly. Kyla is Kyla.

Do I think they have an impact on UConn's run this year? Of course I do! Maybe not in the in-game moments people are talking about, but I don't doubt for a second that they'll have an impact or that they're already having an impact. They're in practice, working hard with their teammates, trying not only to better themselves as players and people but help their teammates better themselves as players and people. They're on the sidelines cheering their teammates on when it's crunch time. Kyla goes hard for her team and it's so evident if you spend 30 seconds watching her on the bench during a game. These aren't the show stopping, wildly impactful in-game moments, but they are already a crucial part of the team just because of what they do in practice and how they support their teammates. And when the time is right, when Geno trusts them and they've earned a vote of confidence from him, we'll see them in the game striving to make him and the fans proud.

Not everyone is going to be a star, and not everyone has to be. They're still important members of the team, and they'll have some sort of impact on the team whether it's on or off the court - or both.

EDIT: It also makes sense that Geno would give the returning 4 as much time to gel as possible. Every single one of them is transitioning into a new role this year, and how they've learned to vibe and work with each other thus far will be very important come March. There's always a method to Geno's "madness."
Great observations Stephen! Positive posts go a long Way!

Reaction Score
The question posed by the OP was essentially: Will Kyla or Molly will impact UConn's run this year?

Hmm.
Impact? Probably not.
Contribute? Most likely, yes.​

Next question? :)
Kyla might get some minutes in the SC game, since she is the 3rd tallest of players available. She might be called on to fill up the paint to give Butler or Williams or even Collier a little relief. If so, I wish her well.

Reaction Score
Most freshmen at UCONN are judged at how they perform on the floor once they put on they put on the UCONN jersey. We've heard many times H/s is nothing like the jump here to UCONN standards. Ekmark didn't shoot well for UCONN. In H/s she was a star shooter but not at UCONN. Her h/s shooting prowess doesn't mean we should have played her vs Syracuse because Lou was out even though maybe we could have used a replacement shooter. You don't go taking the ball out of your best scorers hands to appease a much less talented player.

When Butler is in the game, she is usually playing with a minimum of 2 all-american talent-type of stars if not 4 stars (Collier, Gabby, Lou, Kia and Danger). In the NCAA's these 5 talented players (Chong is talented too but not a/a caliber talent) will be the ones called on to significantly score not Nat. These are the players Nat needs to be accustomed to playing well with as a complimentary player. All 5 of the UCONN players mentioned are significantly different and will play different too depending on the tough team they face/ the matchup on that particular night. That understanding of the stars capabilities and how to play off of them on offense and defense doesn't happen over night. This should be more of a focus for Nat rather than "points scored." Not every player needs to be a scorer in order to be very good. It doesn't mean she can't keep plugging away but there is a reason why she hasn't been a focal part of the offense. The others are better. The 11 time NC coach realizes this.

And no way do I believe Nat is capable of "opening the lane" for our other players. The 5stars I mentioned and even Chong can "open the lane" better than Nat. Nat would be the 7th option to open up the lane. Teams will give Nat that 15 foot jump shot. They'll sag in the lane daring her to shoot. The other 5 players I've mentioned and even Chong are much more explosive. I prefer Nat to try to be the big that can hit an occasional jumper but focus offensively on her passing and setting picks and getting offensive rebounds and limit her turnovers. For offensive rebounds, don't force the shot, throw it back it out if she's in a box. Defensively, rebound and defend and make smart strong outlet passes.

Same goes for Kyla and Molly. As of right now their roles should be to play off the stars. Though I must say with Molly she always looks pretty good out there. Right now with Kyla I wouldn't trust her if we were playing a tough team and we had a 20 point lead unless there weren't many minutes left in the game. As you say - we both have opinions.
Excellent observations. One added comment on Butler. In a few situations under the hoop she seemed hesitant to go back up after snagging an offensive rebound - choosing to pass nearby. I think as she develops more, she will assert herself more often

Reaction Score
My honest assessment of Bent and Irwin thus far are that they are going to evolve into players of the caliber of Fernandes, Kerns, Tahira Williams, etc. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that! Not every player walks into Uconn destined to be the next AA or score 1500 plus points. And we need players who fit that role, are happy to work hard in practice, and close out wins with larger MOV.

With respect to their impact this season, they are most valuable in practice right now. Although you could argue that Stevens and Camara bring equal if not more to practices. But that is pure speculation based on college experience. They will increase in value as the conference season opens. Each should average close to 10 mpg which will help rest our core rotations legs.

For the future, I hate to write kids off this early, but the initial impression is not super optimistic. To me, I am happy with them developing into solid bench players who are faces of the program that true fans remember in years to come. I know the boneyard loves to react in extremes (declaring every player the next AA- see butler or proclaiming we have so many flaws after a loss to a top 5 team in OT on the road). We were so high on the two freshman after the exhibitions but after 9 games, they seem almost invisible (based on minutes).

It is one thing for highly ranked freshman to struggle. You see those flashes of brilliance, the athleticism, and most importantly Geno plays them. Yes MoJeff only got 3 minutes here, or Stewie 7 minutes there as a freshman. But those occasions are a minority. (maybe this season feels extreme bc of SOS). We are already used to these players not receiving any play time, even when injury shortens the bench further. To me, since we have not seen flashes of brilliance or any real trust from Geno, my gut tells me that they are not likely to become regular rotation players. And that is ok. Also, if one of them proves me wrong, I will be more than ok with it!

Us fans are so used to having AA after AA. I think by now, I can sense the difference between struggling freshman, and players who seem to fit a bench player role with some accuracy. But then again, I have 0 NC and Geno recruited them. So its all pure speculation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom