MoJeff is the new Kelly Faris..... | The Boneyard

MoJeff is the new Kelly Faris.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
mojeff.jpeg

The transformation is complete. Moriah Jefferson is now Kelly Faris, "shutdown defender." In UConn victories against Rutgers and Louisville, MoJeff showed the world what Boneyarders already knew, she is the new Kelly Faris. :)

In the Rutgers game, MoJeff guarded freshman sensation Tyler Scaife. With leading scorer Kahleah Cooper out of the lineup, Scaife was Rutgers only hope for keeping the game close. MoJeff covered Scaife like a tight shirt on a wet day. After scoring 2 points early, Scaife did not score again until UConn was ahead by 20 points. She finished the game with 8 points on 4-16 shooting and Rutgers lost 72-35.

Last night against Louisville, MoJeff drew the defensive assignment against Shoni Schimmel. Schimmel entered the game averaging 17.2 points per game, and juiced by Senior Night ceremonies, she hit her first two shots for 5 points. Then MoJeff imposed her will, denying Schimmel the ball, much less good shots. Schimmel missed her next 12 shots and only scored again w/ 2:37 left in the game! For the night, Louisville's leading scorer shot 4-14 w/ 9 points and only one 3 pt field goal. :cool:

The similarities between Faris and Jefferson don't end at "shutdown defending." Last year, Faris led UConn in steals and assists. This year, MoJeff leads UConn in steals and assists. Last year, Faris averaged 10.2 pts per game. MoJeff averages 10.1 per game. Last year, opponents learned a lesson by leaving Faris open. Against Rutgers and Louisville, MoJeff scored 20 pts on 8-13 shooting (61%), including 4-6 from 3 pt range.

MoJeff is the shorter, but faster, new version of Kelly Faris. UConn is so lucky..!!

Go Huskies..!!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
MoJeff is shooting just below 40% (39.7%) from behind the arc. That is something Kelly Faris learned how to do, but my impression is it took her more time to get there than it did for Moriah. That dynamic amazes me.

Reaction Score
BonnBonn is sui generis. She is going to set a new standard as a point guard that will be national in scale. As a sophomore she's already one of the 3 or 4 best playmakers the illustrious UConn wbb program has featured. There's no comparison in level of athleticism. Kelly was the rarity that came to college already knowing how to play defense with her feet. MoJeff has never had to, once she does master that art, she'll be one of the most tenacious defenders in the history of wbb, up there with Debbie Black. Kelly Faris is a wonderful, hard-working player. BonnBonn has "future superstar" stenciled all over her. Now that she's starting to make her 3-point shots, she stands poised for greatness. With nothing but the greatest respect for Kelly, Moriah has much broader horizons.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
MoJeff is shooting just below 40% (39.7%) from behind the arc. That is something Kelly Faris learned how to do, but my impression is it took her more time to get there than it did for Moriah. That dynamic amazes me.
Look at the AAC conference play and she is now shooting 45% on 3s. I think that is a fair line of demarcation and a large enough sample to note the improvement.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I believe her trey percentage last year was around 25%. I believe that for the first 12 games or so this year it was pretty much the same. So...her percentage since then...maybe 17 games or so...is well over 40%. Fantastic! Beyond that really.
I don't think she will ever be a 'volume' trey shooter given her responsibility to run the offense...and her athletic wing-dings to the hoop...but her confidence in taking treys when necessary will help our team and will enhance MoJeff's chances at being the best that she can be.

Plus! She has a step-back Kemba Walker jumper midrange that we rarely see. That is 'next up'.

We got Mo Jet...and nobody else does.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, Blake, it was 26.6 last year.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
MoJeff did for the first time in her Husky career something that Kelly never did last year, or in her freshman or sophomore years, and that was foul out of a game. Kelly did get 3 DQs in her junior year though, and the rare act does speak to a certain intensity level that is not necessarily a bad thing in blow-out games, especially when like last night it almost mirrored the exits of the Cards on senior night. Plus the circumstances of the 5th foul were so ludicrous I think MoJeff was even smiling.

Although it is almost always a tag team defense on the other team's best shooter, Kelly last year and MoJeff this year are the long-term hounders who wear the opponent down until they get hit with another spurt of defensive pressure by a Bria or a Brianna or a Saniya and the paint players' swat crew. Gotta feel some sympathy for other team's ace before a game who knows the nasty gauntlet of pressure she is heading into.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nah, MoJeff is the new MoJeff. Just a great all-around team player. With jets.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The area that distinguishes Kelly over Moriah is height and strength - Moriah will never be a great post defender against forwards or wings and Kelly could do that. But on the perimeter Moriah is able to defend anyone and frustrate them - even Stewie wants no part of her out there. And of all the players I have seen this year Moriah is the best at dealing with the new emphasis on hand checks on the outside. Even with her fouling out against LV, she has from day one this year used her feet and her speed and kept her hands away from the offensive player except to knock the ball free. I am just so impressed with her game this season.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I believe her trey percentage last year was around 25%. I believe that for the first 12 games or so this year it was pretty much the same. So...her percentage since then...maybe 17 games or so...is well over 40%. Fantastic! Beyond that really.
I don't think she will ever be a 'volume' trey shooter given her responsibility to run the offense...and her athletic wing-dings to the hoop...but her confidence in taking treys when necessary will help our team and will enhance MoJeff's chances at being the best that she can be.

Plus! She has a step-back Kemba Walker jumper midrange that we rarely see. That is 'next up'.

We got Mo Jet...and nobody else does.
From my Mo-aholic thread a repost of her three point shooting:
Nice, but you underestimate her 3 point shooting - from game 16 on (the second half of the season) Jefferson is shooting 16 -27 from three for 59%. At that percentage it wouldn't hurt for her to find a few more shots! She is only shooting a touch under 2 threes a game. From Feb 1 on she is shooting 67% from three (10-15 in 8 games!)
So with last nights 3-5 effort the numbers are:
19 of 32 for.593 in her last 16 games and 13-20 in the last 9 for 65% (nothing like lowering your percentage by hitting only 3-5.)

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
But on the perimeter Moriah is able to defend anyone and frustrate them - even Stewie wants no part of her out there.
Oh, no, MoJeff's going after Stewie now? Geno's gotta pull that girl off, she's getting out of control.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Could we please distinguish between Tennessee and Louisville in our abbreviations. Maybe LV (Lady Vols) for Tennessee and Lv for Louisville since there is no reason to capitalize the v.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Opposing guards must find her EXTREMELY annoying!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Think about how devastating MoJet's blocks are to an opponent. You already have Stef who is 6'5" tall with great footwork and Stewie who has a 7'1" reach and Kiah who can leap at 6'3" to watch out for and along comes the 5'7" shortest player on the court skywalking and swatting the ball away with real authority. Oh my, that has to hurt.

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
View attachment 5141 MoJeff covered Scaife like a tight shirt on a wet day.

This reminds me of Johnny Most (the incomparable "Voice of the Boston Celtics" during their most glorious dynaty years), who (at least) once described KC Jones's tenacious defense: "KC is in his shirt!"

(For those of you who are not familiar with Johnny ("Havlicek stole the ball!") Most, he was such a homer that he makes our TonyC look like an objective and restrained observer by comparison.)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Johnny Most was the Phil Rizutto of Boston.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
More than that, Kelly's 3 point % went from 27 to 31 to 32 to 42% her senior year. That Moriah is close to that as a sophomore, AND she's the starting floor general on this team, speaks volumes about her talent. I am of the opinion that she's the 2nd best PG in the nation behind Sims. By the time she's a senior, not only will she be a 1st team AA, she might be a 2 time wade trophy winner.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Johnny Most was the Phil Rizutto of Boston.

Nah. Not even close.

Scooter would acknowledge the occasional error or strikeout by the Mick. Johnny commentated (love that word!) on Celtics games for maybe 20 years and never noticed that Russ or Hondo or Larry or Kevin ever committed a single turnover, let alone a personal foul.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Could we please distinguish between Tennessee and Louisville in our abbreviations. Maybe LV (Lady Vols) for Tennessee and Lv for Louisville since there is no reason to capitalize the v.

Apparently, the distinction is "The LVs" versus, simply "LV" :)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This reminds me of Johnny Most (the incomparable "Voice of the Boston Celtics" during their most glorious dynaty years), who (at least) once described KC Jones's tenacious defense: "KC is in his shirt!"
(For those of you who are not familiar with Johnny ("Havlicek stole the ball!") Most, he was such a homer that he makes our TonyC look like an objective and restrained observer by comparison.)

My favorite while driving was, "Ball goes down low to Kevin...hack, no call...hack, no call... HACK! NO CALL! WHAT ARE THESE REFEREES LOOKING AT!!... ainge with the follow, THESE REFS ARE THE WORST..."

Painted a word picture for me, I'll tell you.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Apparently, the distinction is "The LVs" versus, simply "LV" :)
Just don't confuse the Cardinals (Louisville birds) with the Cardinal (Stanford shade of red, though I think it's more burgundy). :)

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
BonnBonn is sui generis. She is going to set a new standard as a point guard ... BonnBonn has "future superstar" stenciled all over her ...

I think you should edit out 'future.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32