Mississippi State's Schaefer Named 2018 WBCA National COY | The Boneyard

Mississippi State's Schaefer Named 2018 WBCA National COY

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Sorry if this has already been posted..................I checked, I didn't see it.

Vic Schaefer of Mississippi State University has been named the 2018 United States Marine Corps/WBCA NCAA Division I National Coach of the Year, the Women's Basketball Coaches Association announced.

VS-web.jpg

Schaefer will be presented with the Pat Summitt Trophy, named for the legendary University of Tennessee coach, during the 2018 WBCA Convention, which will be held in conjunction with the NCAA® Women’s Final Four® in Columbus, Ohio.

"The WBCA is proud to name Vic Schaefer as the 2018 United States Marine Corps/WBCA NCAA Division I National Coach of the Year," said WBCA Executive Director Danielle Donehew. "Vic is a dedicated and passionate teacher of the game, as displayed by the excellence of his student-athletes. He was chosen by vote of his peers and is very deserving of the WBCA’s highest praise for the coaching profession.

"Beyond his wins on the court, Vic has served his peers and the coaching profession as a member of the WBCA Board of Directors and as a clinician during many WBCA Conventions. Our women’s basketball family also applauds Vic for his role in cultivating a powerful fan base within the Mississippi State community.”

Schaefer has coached the Bulldogs to a perfect 30-0 regular-season record and the program’s first-ever SEC regular-season title. The squad entered the 2018 NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Championship with a national fourth-place ranking and the first No. 1 seed in program history. The Bulldogs led the SEC in scoring and ranked 10th nationally at 82.1 points per game.

The sixth-year Mississippi State head coach was name 2018 SEC Coach of the Year and has the Bulldogs in their third-straight Sweet Sixteen.

[Rest of story]

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
bballnut90 - The selection committee agreed with your observations and take about Vic Schaefer, congratulations. I have no problem with their selection. I like Schaefer, it's well deserved.

I agree with Jordy: "I will never question any award given to this good man". :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Who's going to argue with the anointing of the guy who pulled off That Which Cannot Be Mentioned.

i'd argue that was last year so shouldn't be a consideration.

But there's also a fatigue to giving it to Geno every year. Similar to Lebron getting MVP in the NBA.

So you find another very worthy candidate and give it to them.

Reaction Score
i'd argue that was last year so shouldn't be a consideration.

But there's also a fatigue to giving it to Geno every year. Similar to Lebron getting MVP in the NBA.

So you find another very worthy candidate and give it to them.

Exactly. Geno is the coach of the year. They're just tired of giving it to him.

I mean, Coach Geno is undefeated, and has lost exactly two games in the last five seasons. He's done it with one reliable player coming off the bench, and with nagging injuries throughout the season to several of his starters. And without a bench, he's coached his players to play without fouling, resulting in- I think- one kid fouling out all season?

He coached his team to the #1 seed, and breezed through the NCAA's into the Final Four by knocking off last year's champion. But he's not coach of the year?

They're just tired of giving it to him.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Miss. State.jpeg

Coach Shaefer won my respect when UConn beat Miss. State by 60 points in Bridgeport back in 2016 and he said the following:

"''Today it felt like we were playing a WNBA team. I don't know what team in the league they can't compete with. They got all the pieces." And then followed with, "They're like piranhas on a roast. When they go in transition, you can't get the bone out of the water fast enough.''

Total class and a little humor mixed in, despite a butt-whooping... Would prefer not to play them this season.
Go Huskies..!!

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
All the candidates this year were exceptionally worthy. I have no problem with VS winning it.
But, I thought that this year was MM's best coaching job ever.
Maybe she just needs to work on that difficult personality a little bit.

Edited: due to *rickly is a censored adjective

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sorry if this has already been posted...I checked, I didn't see it.

Vic Schaefer of Mississippi State University has been named the 2018 United States Marine Corps/WBCA NCAA Division I National Coach of the Year, the Women's Basketball Coaches Association announced.

VS-web.jpg

Schaefer will be presented with the Pat Summitt Trophy, named for the legendary University of Tennessee coach, during the 2018 WBCA Convention, which will be held in conjunction with the NCAA® Women’s Final Four® in Columbus, Ohio.

"The WBCA is proud to name Vic Schaefer as the 2018 United States Marine Corps/WBCA NCAA Division I National Coach of the Year," said WBCA Executive Director Danielle Donehew. "Vic is a dedicated and passionate teacher of the game, as displayed by the excellence of his student-athletes. He was chosen by vote of his peers and is very deserving of the WBCA’s highest praise for the coaching profession.

"Beyond his wins on the court, Vic has served his peers and the coaching profession as a member of the WBCA Board of Directors and as a clinician during many WBCA Conventions. Our women’s basketball family also applauds Vic for his role in cultivating a powerful fan base within the Mississippi State community.”

Schaefer has coached the Bulldogs to a perfect 30-0 regular-season record and the program’s first-ever SEC regular-season title. The squad entered the 2018 NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Championship with a national fourth-place ranking and the first No. 1 seed in program history. The Bulldogs led the SEC in scoring and ranked 10th nationally at 82.1 points per game.

The sixth-year Mississippi State head coach was name 2018 SEC Coach of the Year and has the Bulldogs in their third-straight Sweet Sixteen.

[Rest of story]
One of my favorite people in all of WCBB. I will never question any award given to this good man.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I mean, Coach Geno is undefeated, and has lost exactly two games in the last five seasons. He's done it with one reliable player coming off the bench, and with nagging injuries throughout the season to several of his starters. And without a bench, he's coached his players to play without fouling, resulting in- I think- one kid fouling out all season?

He coached his team to the #1 seed, and breezed through the NCAA's into the Final Four by knocking off last year's champion. But he's not coach of the year?

I don’t think they’re sick of the award going to Geno as much as they reward overachieving coaches, and Vic overachieved more than Geno this year.

Geno won last year because his team lost a lot to graduation and expectations were lower. This year he has unquestionably more talent than anyone in the country despite only choosing to go 6 deep. Anything but an undefeated season was going to be a surprise this year.

He has a former AA coming off the bench, three returning AA starters, the DPOY, and a HS POY sitting on the bench who he is choosing not to play much. Not to mention former #3 recruit Crystal Dangerfield who is one of the better PGs in the country. He could go a deeper on the bench if he’d like to. No one else in the country can come close to boasting the talent Geno has. He’s done a fantastic job this year, producing yet another undefeated season (his third straight up until the Final Four and his 4th in 5 years), but as far as who has done the best coaching job this year...Vic is the clear winner IMO with Muffet at #2. Vic doesn’t have a single top 20 recruit on his roster and has his team at 36-1. Muffet has endured more injuries than anyone and has scraped together yet another Final Four despite players playing out of position and no true PG on the roster.

I wouldn’t have been upset if Muffet or Geno won the award— both would be deserving—but I think Vic is the most deserving.

Carnac

Reaction Score
View attachment 30243

Coach Shaefer won my respect when UConn beat Miss. State by 60 points in Bridgeport back in 2016 and he said the following:

"''Today it felt like we were playing a WNBA team. I don't know what team in the league they can't compete with. They got all the pieces." And then followed with, "They're like piranhas on a roast. When they go in transition, you can't get the bone out of the water fast enough.''

Total class and a little humor mixed in, despite a butt-whooping... Would prefer not to play them this season.
Go Huskies..!!

Me either..................................however, if after tomorrow night, UConn is still in it, and they are all that remains between UConn and the championship, then so be it. Release the Kraken. I don't think they want to play UConn any more than UConn wants to play them.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Who's going to argue with the anointing of the guy who pulled off That Which Cannot Be Mentioned.

I am going to argue with Vic Schaefer's selection. He is the coach who sat Williams, the Husky slayer, for the 4th quarter against USC. Instead he puts in a sophomore, Holmes, because she brings more energy? Holmes played one minute against UCONN -- ONE MINUTE! What energy did she bring against USC? Six points and a foul. Zeroes in every other category. Thus is not COY material. This is a guy perhaps with money on USC to win -- big money? What were the odds?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Mississippi State has lost once this season. The four seasons before that don't factor in at all. So there's one loss difference. There's a reason that they don't call it the "coach with the best record award."

Look at the amount of talent on Geno's team vs. the amount of talent on Vic's team. Use some measure like the Hoopgurlz ratings, McDonald's all-Americans (ZERO on Mississipi State) or something like that. There's no comparison. I absolutely agree that Geno has done a great job this year. But I think Vic has done an amazing job.

I'm really glad Vic got the award, although I wouldn't have complained if Muffet had.

Reaction Score
Me either.........however, if after tomorrow night, UConn is still in it, and they are all that remains between UConn and the championship, then so be it. Release the Kraken. I don't think they want to play UConn any more than UConn wants to play them.
First IIMO the choice is a good one as he has taken a sleeper program to the Final Four two hers in a row...well done coach.

Second....you raise the issue as to wether UCONN would want to play MS for the NC. IMO, they would without reservation want to play them over anyone else. Just an opinion but these are competitive gals that probably want Tyler Phommachanh put a loss behind them.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
First IIMO the choice is a good one as he has taken a sleeper program to the Final Four two hers in a row...well done coach.

Second....you raise the issue as to wether UCONN would want to play MS for the NC. IMO, they would without reservation want to play them over anyone else. Just an opinion but these are competitive gals that probably want Tyler Phommachanh put a loss behind them.
You are so right. These ladies don't want to put the loss behind them. They want to bury and throw dirt on it.

When you are as competitive as these young women are, there is no rivalry against a team that hasn't beaten you. Yeah, we fans remember the tooth and nail wins and loses against ND, and I'm sure every UConn player has been told of them. But to these ladies their rival is MSS, not some team that beat some other iteration of them in the past. I'm also convinced that if MSS was the team UConn played tomorrow the TV audience would be substantially bigger than it will be against ND, because that's the way most of the country sees it as well.

I think these ladies would rather have MSS in the championship game and beat their pants off. Just my opinion.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I'm just happy they didn't give it to Jessica Shepard ... er.. I mean, McGraw. :oops::p

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I am going to argue with Vic Schaefer's selection. He is the coach who sat Williams, the Husky slayer, for the 4th quarter against USC. Instead he puts in a sophomore, Holmes, because she brings more energy? Holmes played one minute against UCONN -- ONE MINUTE! What energy did she bring against USC? Six points and a foul. Zeroes in every other category. Thus is not COY material. This is a guy perhaps with money on USC to win -- big money? What were the odds?

That was last year...

Reaction Score
Vic gave a weird answer today when they asked him how Morgan handled not playing in the 4th quarter versus USC in the national championship game. He tried to muddy the waters by saying people need to stop attacking Morgan. I know of no one who attacked Morgan...it's not like Morgan could have just gotten off the bench and checked herself into the game. He also gave some lame excuse about how well Jaz played in the second round versus DePaul last year as to why he played Jaz over Morgan in the 4th quarter of that game. Morgan had just scored 41 points in the elite eight win versus Baylor and knocked down probably the biggest shot in the history of women's basketball in the national semi's versus UConn. It still blows my mind that Morgan didn't play in the 4th quarter of the freakin national championship game. What a lot of you probably don't know is that in this year's SEC championship game versus USC Morgan spent much of the 4th quarter of that game on the bench...the only game in which MSU has lost this season.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I'm a bit surprised Muffet didn't get it....with all of their injuries ND had a pretty amazing season...

She got the AP award. A split seems fair.

According to this article, the AP vote was tied between McGraw and Schaefer and went to an "OT" runoff vote. So that voting certainly mirrored a lot of the give and take we've seen on the board. Congrats to both coaches for their honors. Now, let's play ball!

ND's McGraw wins AP Coach of the Year award

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
That was last year...
I was responding to the poster and his poor decisions might just be symptomatic of bad personnel decisions in the crunch. However, I don't see his coaching job to be even close to McGraw's coaching job. He had an intact FF team. McGraw had nothing like the team she started with. No, he was given the NCOY award because he was ignored last year when he should he received the award.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I was responding to the poster and his poor decisions might just be symptomatic of bad personnel decisions in the crunch. However, I don't see his coaching job to be even close to McGraw's coaching job. He had an intact FF team. McGraw had nothing like the team she started with. No, he was given the NCOY award because he was ignored last year when he should he received the award.

Geno deserved it hands down last season. And Vic lost 4 of his top 7 contributors from last year, but the team is markedly better this season. The individual player development of McCowan, Vivians, Schaefer and Johnson from last year to this year is remarkable.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
All the candidates this year were exceptionally worthy. I have no problem with VS winning it.
But, I thought that this year was MM's best coaching job ever.
Maybe she just needs to work on that difficult personality a little bit.

Edited: due to *rickly is a censored adjective
*rickly is censored. :rolleyes: I think you just got *rick rolled! ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom