Missed lay ups in game vs USF | The Boneyard

Missed lay ups in game vs USF

Reaction Score
Geno has to harping on the team with all the missed lay-ups. Not omly in todays game but all season. This will come back to bite us against a top team.
At least 7 at my count.

Reaction Score
Not all layups are gimmes though. Like the one Walker missed was really difficult (even if she wasnt fouled) as she was running really fast and in traffic. But, yeah, some of the misses were just poor shooting. I was amazed to see that UConn shot 50% and had a better % from 3 than USF. Sure didnt feel like it. Didnt try that many 3s for some reason

Reaction Score
Geno has to harping on the team with all the missed lay-ups. Not omly in todays game but all season. This will come back to bite us against a top team.
I was going to start a thread with this same theme. I cannot remember seeing this many missed bunnies, it really looked like a bad HS game at times. The players cannot give up so many easy points.

Reaction Score
UConn still struggles when shooting under pressure or when bumped. They just have to keep working on it. I mean they already practice against men. I'm sure Geno does those shooting drills with the player getting hit by a pad in traffic.
I wish they did more jump stopping on drives and then when they feel contact, go up hard. Like a lost art. Kia has so many drives that she doesn't elevate and she gets swatted. If she went in hard, jump stopped, get the defender on her back, and then go up strong. And one.
(sorry ladies- except for Gabby- girls can't jump)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
UConn still struggles when shooting under pressure or when bumped. They just have to keep working on it. I mean they already practice against men. I'm sure Geno does those shooting drills with the player getting hit by a pad in traffic.
I wish they did more jump stopping on drives and then when they feel contact, go up hard. Like a lost art. Kia has so many drives that she doesn't elevate and she gets swatted. If she went in hard, jump stopped, get the defender on her back, and then go up strong. And one.
Now is not the time of year to start "teaching" these players how to shoot, they know how to shoot. If they are getting bumped while shooting, that's a foul. Can't help it if it's not called...

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Also I think that it was mentioned once that just because the shots fall in practice doesn't guarantee that they will fall in the game (paraphrasing here).

Reaction Score
Now is not the time of year to start "teaching" these players how to shoot, they know how to shoot. If they are getting bumped while shooting, that's a foul. Can't help it if it's not called...
Who said anything about teaching how to shoot? Players will be motivated to get some extra shooting in!
I'm not crying about refs. Basketball is a physical sport. If you shoot under duress, in traffic, against strong players, there is often contact. You practice under these conditions.
You ever play any ball?

Reaction Score
I think missing "easy" layups is the things that drives me most crazy. But I'm not a coach and have no idea how to solve that one..

Reaction Score
I think missing "easy" layups is the things that drives me most crazy. But I'm not a coach and have no idea how to solve that one..
Appeared to be tight rim. Both teams, both nights, missed at the one end. If missing layups in a game we were behind by 20+ most of the night bothers you, pick out a good bourbon and watch a movie.

Reaction Score
It's ironic how many missed layups UCONN has missed the entire season. I recall last season during the Oregon regional final telecast Doris Burke saying UCONN makes more open shots than anyone she's seen in WCBB. Nonetheless, a win is a win and I'm content with that. I just hope those layups and open shots don't miss during important moments in the tourney

Reaction Score
Not going to quote anyone here as it might come across the wrong way. Some folks have to take more than shooting percentage into consideration. I would consider the pace UConn plays at. With most layups coming off turnovers with two passes at break neck speed, the shooter is often not in "layup line" position to make the shot.
Along with that I think many do not realize USF is not an easy out.

Not golf or billiards here where you get to move around for a few minutes and draw up the shot. ;) At 32 & 0 and playing anybody and everybody so far I see no reason for the worry. Often a missed layup becomes an O rebound. Think I saw one tonight that got passed back out to Danger for a deep three....Missed layup forgotten...:D

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

Hey there's a news flash. If you miss enough shots against a really good team you might lose. Nothing Geno says or does is going to guarantee that will never happen again. Because it's sports played by human beings and that's why they play the games. You do the best you can to prepare and when you play you hope to hit more shots and win. I'm glad we got that cleared up.

Reaction Score
Really sad that AEH left UConn. I'm guessing that had she stayed, she would have developed into the second kid off the bench, perhaps even the first off the bench ahead of Walker. AEH was beginning to display an excellent 3-point shot.

I think she made a mistake in transferring. But I suppose teenagers make mistakes at times. Just have to live and learn.

Reaction Score
The solution to missed layups is simple: just make them instead. I wonder why the coaches didn't tell them that already....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From what I have seen of the various teams playing in their conference tournaments, my impression is that shooting percentages are down across the board. Look at some of the other teams out there and their shooting percentages. Tennessee missed numerous "bunnies" in their game against South Caroline. Mississippi State shot badly against South Carolina as well. No one was shooting lights out in the ACC or Big 12 tournaments that I saw. Many teams were not hitting their season averages in points scored.

Certainly some of that is because when teams see each other multiple times during the season, they know each other very well come conference tournament time. I think in general familiarity with an opponent helps the defensive side of the ball more so than the offensive side of the ball.

It might also have something to do with playing multiple games in a short period. When you are fatigued you don't get the same leg drive on jump shots and you tend to "short arm" layups.

Probably a combination of both of the above. Other teams are battling the same things.

For what it is worth, the same thing seems to be happening on the men's side from what I have seen from their scores. These are broad trends/generalities so I'm sure it will be easy for someone to find exceptions to what I have written.

Reaction Score
Geno said something like " We will figure it out.. and it's going to be good ..." so let's wait and see in the big dance!!!

Reaction Score
Despite the potential pitfall s,I’d still rather be a UConn fan than fan of any other team going into the tourney
I'm not sure I can root for a team that can't make a layup! (yuk, yuk)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom