Mir transfer to Virginia, granted immediate eligibility [merged thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mir transfer to Virginia, granted immediate eligibility [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ah, but you forget the portal oh wise one. I'd say Geno would be comfortable with 11 but this year may have had him shake off his old ways.
If Geno could find another quality player like Dorka in the portal I'm sure he would go after her. Who wouldn't? The portal could be really big in the future, if it isn't already.

Reaction Score
If Geno could find another quality player like Dorka in the portal I'm sure he would go after her. Who wouldn't? The portal could be really big in the future, if it isn't already.
Agree that Geno may use the portal to plug some specific holes. While I agree with many on the Boneyard regarding most transfers looking for playing time, there are some that would value having the UConn experience - knowing what it was like to play for the best and compete for a national championship. Getting an experienced shut down defensive guard or another point guard with the experience to come in and run the team for 5-10 minutes, could be ideal. While you do what you need to do to overcome injuries, having Evina, who has never fully come back from her knee issues, play most of a game is less than ideal. Having Paige play entire games next year should be avoided as well. We will see.

Reaction Score
Pretty tall team. Here is the official roster:

Interesting that VA has 15 athletes on their roster right now, and most are 6' or taller [only 2 of 15 are shorter]. Must need a quick and athletic upgrade...

They may have difficulty against uNd on Thurs, but may have winable games vs. Miami and Virginia Tech to start the new year. Not sure when Mir will break in this year, but blessings to Mir and her new team!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
2 seasons cut her some slack.
Only one of this year’s losses has been by single digits, a 9 point loss to Richmond.

Head Coaching Record[edit]​

SeasonTeamOverallConferenceStandingPostseason
2018–19Virginia12 –195 – 1112thNone
2019–20Virginia13 –178 – 10T–9thNone
2020-21Virginia0 –50 – 2N/ANone
2021-22Virginia3 - 70 - 0
Overall28–4813–23

Reaction Score
I don't mean to be mean, but at the D1 level what stuff does she have to show. Love to be shown wrong and I like this young woman with the beautiful smile.
I shudder to think what you would have posted if you meant to be mean. The Grinch has nothing on you.

Reaction Score
Interesting that VA has 15 athletes on their roster right now, and most are 6' or taller [only 2 of 15 are shorter]. Must need a quick and athletic upgrade...

They may have difficulty against uNd on Thurs, but may have winable games vs. Miami and Virginia Tech to start the new year. Not sure when Mir will break in this year, but blessings to Mir and her new team!
Very doubtful against VaTech
Probably not against Mia but I don’t know a lot about the Canes.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Very doubtful against VaTech
Probably not against Mia but I don’t know a lot about the Canes

You can throw out the record books when UVA and VPI meet up.

Reaction Score
Hopefully she is successful and happy. Thompson may not be the answer at UVA but I have no idea how long of a leash, if any, she really has given the program wasn't doing so hot prior to her arrival. It's a fantastic school academically and that could be as important to Mir as basketball.

It's always interesting to see where people wind up when they make the decision to move on. Just like with recruiting we never know what is going on in the minds of the students.

Reaction Score
This is her fourth season and by far the most disastrous.

Yes, her 3rd season was cut very short by covid, but they were 0-5 at the time.
not a fan of Uva's Ad, he's very cheap. Look at their coaches in cfb, they leave and don't last. Only Tony Benett has had success but even this season his team looks god awful. Will not be an easy place to win regardless who the head coach is.

Reaction Score
the program wasn't doing so hot prior to her arrival. .

VA was doing decent under Boyle. In her last year they made the NCAAs for the first time since 2010. And had made the WNIT the previous 3 years. It seemed they were on their way back.

Thompsons first 2 years UVA had their 2 worst records since 1978.

Reaction Score
Hopefully she is successful and happy. Thompson may not be the answer at UVA but I have no idea how long of a leash, if any, she really has given the program wasn't doing so hot prior to her arrival. It's a fantastic school academically and that could be as important to Mir as basketball.

It's always interesting to see where people wind up when they make the decision to move on. Just like with recruiting we never know what is going on in the minds of the students.
lol exactly, people act like she took over Tenn or a program with prestige. Covid last season knocked out the team.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
not a fan of Uva's Ad, he's very cheap. Look at their coaches in cfb, they leave and don't last. Only Tony Benett has had success but even this season his team looks god awful. Will not be an easy place to win regardless who the head coach is.

He's very cheap? He? Virginia's Athletic Director is Carla Williams who most definitely is not a "he." She was hired as AD in 2017.

Not sure what evidence you have to support the "very cheap" label. Bennett's salary is certainly top 15-20 in the country. Mendenhall was lured from BYU and his compensation was set to be $3.9 million before announcing his retirement. That salary seems appropriate for a program like Virginia. Williams will likely hire Poindexter as Mendenhall's replacement and I doubt she brings him in on the cheap.

I have no idea what Thompson's compensation package looks like but I'm sure it's commensurate with her coaching experience when hired which was very limited. Before hiring Thompson UVa approached Staley about the job which, again, doesn't support the "cheap" label.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I have no idea what Thompson's compensation package looks like but I'm sure it's commensurate with her coaching experience when hired which was very limited. Before hiring Thompson UVa approached Staley about the job which, again, doesn't support the "cheap" label.
Thompson’s base salary is $325,000 before speaking fees, endorsements, etc.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
or maybe the 2 who transferred decided they have had enough of the Uconn way and want to try something different? ;)
Vanderbilt is it UConn by any stretch of the imagination. More likely they wanted to go to programs that weren’t at the very beginning of a rebuild. JMO.

Whatever the reasons I’m just glad they found a place that felt comfortable to them

Reaction Score
I think clarifications like "to be honest" often mean: "I would prefer not to be the one who has to say this" , or, "in the interest of getting real with this discussion". It isn't necessarily something racist or meant as demeaning but it could be something uncomfortable or even distasteful. At the same time, shouldn't we be honest with each other? Shouldn't we say things that are honest rather than just go along with whatever is considered "polite" even if it is almost totally inaccurate? There is a limit, of course, but I'd prefer to call things accurately. We are expressing opinions mainly. All of us. Sometimes facts are cited but for the most part we express opinions.

For example, an honest assessment could be that Virgina is an upgrade from Uconn academically overall. It could be a better fit for Mir athletically as well. It looks like maybe a great decision on her part. She probably will have significant success in their program but is unlikely to develop into a WNBA level player. It is still possible, of course, but the current track may be to pursue a great degree and quality of life which doesn't necessarily depend on athletics. Most of these comments are opinions. Projections from someone who knows It's up to Mir to make these choices and only she knows her mind. To me it looks like a terrific fit.

Apparently Dennis Rodman didn't play high school basketball at all. He didn't even want to go to college and his recruiter spent 2 hours trying to get him to see him when he visited his mom's house. He went on to be one of the best players in history. Almost anything is possible.
To be accurate, one of the best defensive players in history. Let’s face it, he was pretty useless as far as his scoring goes. I’ll not say he was as bad in that respect as Simmons but he was a very reluctant/hapless scorer.

Reaction Score
Closeish to home but really question if Tina Thompson will last much longer.
MIR has great potential, a very good if undersided post. I agree Tina Thompson, a super great College and Wnba player never quite made it in Coaching.
However, I agree with Carnac that MIR hasn't tapped her full potential yet. It would be nice to see her grow into a top ACC player.

Reaction Score
Only one of this year’s losses has been by single digits, a 9 point loss to Richmond.

Head Coaching Record[edit]​

SeasonTeamOverallConferenceStandingPostseason
2018–19Virginia12 –195 – 1112thNone
2019–20Virginia13 –178 – 10T–9thNone
2020-21Virginia0 –50 – 2N/ANone
2021-22Virginia3 - 70 - 0
Overall28–4813–23
Yet another example that great players rarely make great coaches!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom