Mir McLean to UConn [merged thread] | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Mir McLean to UConn [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That will be a heated debate next summer, AFTER the final roster has been set (including any possible incoming transfers that are of course unknown at this time). We don’t know what Westbrook is going to do. She’ll be eligible for the for the draft. She’ll be 22 in September of 2020.

A poster admonished us right after her announcement that it is possible (but highly improbable) that she could opt for the draft without ever playing a game for UConn, if her waiver is not granted. I will be shocked if she does not play 2 years here.

In order to improve her game, and make herself more attractive to coaches and GM’s at the next level, and gain the unique experience of playing for Geno, and attending CD’s “charm” school, she has to play at least one year.

After the mis-adventures with Azure Stevens recently, it’s a good bet that Evina and her family have a firm understanding of the program’s expectations for her going forward explained in detail by Geno.

You’re talking about a starting unit that will take the floor in 16 months from now. As much as I would like to, even I can’t see that far ahead. We Still have to figure out who the 5th starter will be for the upcoming year first. We've got the next 4 months to figure that out. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Always like to find these ... finally, a local Maryland article on Mir's commitment.

"By the end of a thorough recruiting process, Roland Park basketball standout Mir McLean came to a simple conclusion in why she committed to perennial national power Connecticut.

“It’s a successful program and I don’t like to lose,” the Reds rising senior forward said."

And the question about who her finalists were is answered!!

"She selected Connecticut, which has won a record 11 NCAA Division I national championships under longtime coach Geno Auriemma, over South Carolina, Miami and North Carolina State. Last season, the Huskies made their 12th straight Final Four appearance, falling to eventual runner-up Notre Dame.

“I was looking at Connecticut for two years and have liked [former Huskies standout forward] Gabby Williams for a while. It feels good, a big relief, and I’m just excited and glad I was able to stick to my decision,” said McLean, who is joining Paige Bueckers, the No. 1 overall recruit in the country, in UConn’s 2020 recruiting class."

Roland Park basketball star Mir McLean commits to national power Connecticut

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Long article from Doug Bonjour---from UConnCat's post above---including how Mir became a Husky plus lots of mom quotes:

McLean didn’t even really think it was possible until UConn associate head coach Chris Dailey visited her Maryland home in March.

“Let me just say this, Mir’s very humble,” Ayanna said. “We started late, so Mir’s not a kid that always dreamt that she could go to UConn. She didn’t have the ratings and the notoriety that the other players did.

“She was kind of like, ‘OK, yeah, they’re interested, they spoke to me, but they really don’t want me.’ When the home visit took place, that’s kind of the time that peaked our interest. Like, ‘They really have been watching me.’ ”

Rather, it was a conversation about life after college that ultimately steered McLean to the Northeast. McLean, who hopes to eventually play in the WNBA or join the CIA, believes UConn sets her up best for future success.

“They had the best investment in me after my four years of college,” McLean explained.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I can't recall a former player who after college wants the WNBA or the CIA! Maybe its the multiple languages thing? But we certainly have heard this time and again:

“She now sees the things that she needs to do athletically, and she feels like Coach Geno is the person that can bridge that gap for her.”

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I can't recall a former player who after college wants the WNBA or the CIA! Maybe its the multiple languages thing? But we certainly have heard this time and again:

“She now sees the things that she needs to do athletically, and she feels like Coach Geno is the person that can bridge that gap for her.”

Paige Bueckers was thinking about the FBI a couple years ago.

Reaction Score
Georgetown can sure serve as a homecoming game; now playing in the Big East it doesn't burn an OOC game. Would be especially fortuitous should Brenda decide to cancel the MD series! :rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So let me get this straight. CD stops in to see Mir on a recruiting visit in March and she visits Storrs on June 20, and not a single BY’er picks up on it?

All I can say is that I’m very disturbed that far too many people on this forum appear to have lives outside of UConn WBB....,.:(

Reaction Score
So let me get this straight. CD stops in to see Mir on a recruiting visit in March and she visits Storrs on June 20, and not a single BY’er picks up on it?

All I can say is that I’m very disturbed that far too many people on this forum appear to have lives outside of UConn WBB....,.:(

Unless they are in the top 10 rankings, most people here are probably not interested.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

I can confirm that Mir's visit to Storrs was not reported anywhere, and that we do not have lives.

Reaction Score
Mir was 1st contacted in March and committed in June.
Muhl was first contacted in Jan and committed in April.

Interesting the relatively late entry by UConn, short courtship, and quick turnaround.

Reaction Score
So you’re telling me that nobody on the BY was interested in Aubrey, Ania, Nika, Gabby, Kia, Steph..

I did not say nobody, but a lot of BYers seem much more interested in discussing top 10 recruits. My guess is the volume of threads on Aubrey, Ania, Nika and Kia are much lower before they rise to the top of the Uconn staff's radar.

Reaction Score

Fast forwarded through this game and only watched live action so it didn't take more than about 30 minutes.
McLean got some rebounds and made a couple athletic putbacks but not an offensive threat at this point. 2 for 4 on the line also. Maybe scored 8 points.
Cardoso looked lost and hardly scored even though she was guarded by girls 4 to 6 inches shorter; Reese seems to want to be the point guard or point forward and looked like she wants nothing to do with playing anywhere near the basket; and Olivia Cochran looked like a college junior. She dominated inside at 6'1" and could score and handle too while hustling the whole game, something I couldn't say about many of the others.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You know the staff will keep in contact with her through the actual signing of her LOI. They have probably already told her the things (areas) they want her to improve on this next season.

Reaction Score
I agree with most of what you are saying. I also don't see BT either.

What I did see and like very much was the following:
Great set of feet and lateral quickness.
A nose for the ball.
A high level of athleticism especially when finishing at the rim.
Versatile defender-top of the press, wing, on the block.

Here is what I saw and am not necessarily worried about:
No defined position-too slightly built to play PF and not good enough shooter to play wing or guard.
No evidence of mid range game or deep ball.
Not enough movement off the ball to be effective in a motion offense.
To say I'm was not impressed by her AAU coaching is a vast understatement. When your tallest player is trying to be a PG and facilitating the offense from the top of the key and can't make a cross court pass that's pretty sorry coaching. And yes I'm talking about Angel Reese. All of that will change when she gets to UCONN. She will be taught to move, shoot and will get the ball when she's open. For now Geno got himself an athlete. My guess is she'll grow into a complete basketball player.

Love your post. I don't know teh ceiling she'll grow into but you and others have seen her more than I. If you're saying she has the lateral quickness - to me that is huge -- if she has it as you say- I'm super excited, whether she becomes a/a or not have to see her progress. But just super excited about her quickness.

But I found what you said about Reese matches what I thought. I have to admit at 1st I was super impressed. As the game progressed I wasn't near as much. And secondly I thought exactly as you did-- the coach did a poor job. But for Reese imo it comes down to her motor and willingness to be one who wants to be the pg all the time. And now that she isn't coming to UCONN - I wish her the best and that's it.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I suppose Mir's CIA interests caused her meetings to be a bit more clandestine. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom