Mike says boneyard posters are dumb | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mike says boneyard posters are dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It may well be a bit of both. It is amazing to me the breadth and depth of knowledge that can be found on the Boneyard. On the other hand some comments from time to time are mind numbing.

Reaction Score
Well, he definitely is a print man. Couldn't string together 6 words without pausing, rolling his eyes to the heavens and getting the next 6 words off his mental clipboard. Painful.

Totally agree. Watched the show several times and just gave up because waiting for MD to complete a thought to finish a sentence was painful.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
And BTW, does anyone remember who the opponent was for the game in which a 9500+ attendance at Gampel (95% capacity only) in November 2005 sparked the "racist UConn" fans article?

If you guessed that it was the Mikey's BCU team that had just run off to the ACC and which UConn fans were generally disgusted with, you would be right. Mikey used his perceived slight to BCU to fashion his fantasy about there being too many black faces on the UConn team for fans to identify with instead of all the other issues for an early season game against a despised opponent that UConn had already beaten dozens of times. No instead pull out your Mikey-meter to discern differences in the way UConn cheer for white Huskies versus black Huskies.

And for this the clown trails around his self-pitying "they hates me" act to sob about why he is loathed by a huge proportion of UConn fans. It's because only he knows what we are like, but we refuse to accept his truth about our sins.

And it's a shame, because Mikey can write some good articles about other sports and other levels of athletics. But he is cursed to be working for the media in a state where he will never be able to gain much readership from the fans of the flagship university because he is such a twisted up snake.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Well, he definitely is a print man. Couldn't string together 6 words without pausing, rolling his eyes to the heavens and getting the next 6 words off his mental clipboard. Painful.

Tad unfair here, Rocky - tho' you may not know it, Mike has a stutter, and, sometimes it's pretty significant. I stutter as well, so, I'm quite familiar with the "stop and start" pattern that can develop occasionally. That's not to say I agree with his viewpoint on this issue - I don't. But, I appreciate when people are patient with my (thankfully) infrequent stuttering episodes, so, I'd like to extend the same courtesy.

Reaction Score
I don't have any problem with stutterers as I know a few, even in my own family. My problem with MD is when he stops talking he loses his train of thought and goes off on a completely different direction. At first I thought I have the same problem,being old, but not as frequently as MD.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I would agree with stupid. There are many BY'ers on this site who know much more about the team than any announcers (I'm not talking about Wolters or Pattyson, rather the ESPN pundits), and often times even the horde gets breaking news or some other info from the BY. But I also think there are a lot of "fans" on the board, who aren't necessarily overly knowledgeable or do any kind of research, but rather just enjoy reading and posting.

I think the Horde is different in that they actually do research and interviews when writing about the UCONN women's team, but other hacks like Dimauro who follow the team from the periphery are totally incompetent when it comes to spouting opinions on the Huskies...
I was speaking tongue in cheek.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Flashing back to my more favorite moments from 2010 which inspired my t-shirt:

dscn0808.jpg

Th t-shirt was inspired back in March, 2010. My rant:

Mike DiMauro suggest that "Readers missed the point," and then sorta defends Danny-boy's column by writing:

Dan's reasoning was a swing and miss. But he raised a point that is hard to argue: That most of the nation doesn't care about the women's tournament. Perhaps that's hard to fathom in Connecticut. Travel with the Huskies, though, and you'll discover he's right.

And yet Shaughnessy has been identified as a misogynist by some in the women's basketball intelligentsia. Their moral outrage is as myopic as Shaughnessy's rationale.​

Umm, Mikey, I think YOU missed the point.

Sure, there's often a knee jerk reaction to columns that criticize women's basketball because they're often not actually critiquing. but mocking what they don't know. And, as in Danny-boy's case, his opinion drew a lot of criticism from "the women's basketball intelligentsia" (can I get a t-shirt that says that?) because not only was he saying he disliked something he didn't know, but he was spouting "facts" that were drop dead wrong -- and a reflection of so much of the crap that clue-free misogynists throw at the women's game.

So, Mikey, we'll stop alienating "potential fans who haven't yet discovered why the women's game is worthwhile by being whiny, proprietary foofs" when writers who profess to be professionals stop being fact-free idiots.

Because it's those writers who, by continuing to add to reams and pixels of bullcrap that is written against the women's game, are misinforming and turning away "potential fans who haven't yet discovered why the women's game is worthwhile."

Hey, there's plenty to poke at in the women's game. And I promise, I'll be the first one to forgive a "Lady Husky" reference or a "Pat Sumit" (maybe) error if the content reflects a level of thoughtful analysis.

When Danny-boy writes it, send along a link, wontcha Mikey?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Flashing back to my more favorite moments from 2010 which inspired my t-shirt:

dscn0808.jpg

Th t-shirt was inspired back in March, 2010. My rant:

Mike DiMauro suggest that "Readers missed the point," and then sorta defends Danny-boy's column by writing:

Dan's reasoning was a swing and miss. But he raised a point that is hard to argue: That most of the nation doesn't care about the women's tournament. Perhaps that's hard to fathom in Connecticut. Travel with the Huskies, though, and you'll discover he's right.

And yet Shaughnessy has been identified as a misogynist by some in the women's basketball intelligentsia. Their moral outrage is as myopic as Shaughnessy's rationale.​

Umm, Mikey, I think YOU missed the point.

Sure, there's often a knee jerk reaction to columns that criticize women's basketball because they're often not actually critiquing. but mocking what they don't know. And, as in Danny-boy's case, his opinion drew a lot of criticism from "the women's basketball intelligentsia" (can I get a t-shirt that says that?) because not only was he saying he disliked something he didn't know, but he was spouting "facts" that were drop dead wrong -- and a reflection of so much of the crap that clue-free misogynists throw at the women's game.

So, Mikey, we'll stop alienating "potential fans who haven't yet discovered why the women's game is worthwhile by being whiny, proprietary foofs" when writers who profess to be professionals stop being fact-free idiots.

Because it's those writers who, by continuing to add to reams and pixels of bullcrap that is written against the women's game, are misinforming and turning away "potential fans who haven't yet discovered why the women's game is worthwhile."

Hey, there's plenty to poke at in the women's game. And I promise, I'll be the first one to forgive a "Lady Husky" reference or a "Pat Sumit" (maybe) error if the content reflects a level of thoughtful analysis.

When Danny-boy writes it, send along a link, wontcha Mikey?
Oh dear, now I'm going to have to put on that shirt for today's run (but with many other long sleeved ones on top).

But be fair TJI, you just caught a article on one of those days when Mikey's brain was stuck in a New London fog. Problem is, it's been that way from the day he was born.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I don't have any problem with stutterers as I know a few, even in my own family. My problem with MD is when he stops talking he loses his train of thought and goes off on a completely different direction. At first I thought I have the same problem,being old, but not as frequently as MD.
Stuttering is a trait that we can all sympathize and even cheer for royal practitioners who fought to overcome it. But stuttering in the writing of a sports journalist is not acceptable.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Tad unfair here, Rocky - tho' you may not know it, Mike has a stutter, and, sometimes it's pretty significant. I stutter as well, so, I'm quite familiar with the "stop and start" pattern that can develop occasionally. That's not to say I agree with his viewpoint on this issue - I don't. But, I appreciate when people are patient with my (thankfully) infrequent stuttering episodes, so, I'd like to extend the same courtesy.

I don't know if you viewed it. Sure looks like a guy simply looking for the words. It was lame of him and the program host to use air time for him to air his grievance at the Boneyard picking on his publicly aired opinion.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Totally agree. Watched the show several times and just gave up because waiting for MD to complete a thought to finish a sentence was painful.

I don't care for many of MD's opinions, but I do believe he has a very severe speech impediment. It can be painful to watch him try to express himself, but I have to give him credit for going on tv and trying to express those opinions.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I don't care for many of MD's opinions, but I do believe he has a very severe speech impediment. It can be painful to watch him try to express himself, but I have to give him credit for going on tv and trying to express those opinions.

Good point.
we should get away from the physical issues and concentrate on the challenge...seriously....

CL82

Reaction Score
Mike seems even less persuasive in person than he does in print. His I'm going to wear a green tie mini rant just seemed so small minded. He's a tip, if you are going to write deliberately provocative things to generate a reaction, don't whine about it later. If you can't stand the heat...

I have to credit to Jeff for this quote "I (Jeff) am a stupid, self-obsessed, plagiarist." Maybe so Jeff, but after hearing you say that about yourself, at least you are self-aware. (Actually props to JJ for saying that he does come here because their are good ideas. He should just lead off an 'inspired' column with "An interesting idea was debated on the Boneyard..." John A. does it. To me it makes him more credible.)

I'd love, love, love to have one of us go on with them. For the most part, I think we are more knowledgeable and more articulate. It would be incredibly entertaining. Since that is logistically challenging, let me make a counter-offer how about the one or both of you come on the Boneyard. We can do a dedicated thread or set up a chat room. Then we can debate an issue side by side. We'll try to keep up with you guys if you don't use too many big words.

Finally, I love how Jacobs go to worldview is that people are threatening him. I'd sure as heck love to see his supposed post where someone threatened to "put him in at the bottom of Long Island Sound." That just doesn't sound like the board. I think that is easier for him to internalize that image then broad based criticism of his work on the merits.

One thing for sure is we're in all three of their heads aren't we?

Last edited:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Finally, I love how Jacobs go to worldview is that people are threatening him. I'd sure as heck love to see his supposed post where someone threatened to "put him in at the bottom of Long Island Sound." That just doesn't sound like the board. I think that is easier for him to internalize that image then broad based criticism of his work on the merits.

One thing for sure is we're in all three of their heads aren't we?
It wasn't likely the women's board that Jeff was referring to, unless maybe doggydaddy got his FBI friends to do some behind-the-scenes action. He's more likely to have been referring to the football, men's BB, or most especially the conference realignment board. The CR guys would threaten to skin him alive and bite off his toes before cementing him up for the LI Sound dive.

CL82

Reaction Score
It wasn't likely the women's board that Jeff was referring to, unless maybe doggydaddy got his FBI friends to do some behind-the-scenes action. He's more likely to have been referring to the football, men's BB, or most especially the conference realignment board. The CR guys would threaten to skin him alive and bite off his toes before cementing him up for the LI Sound dive.
I read all three of those boards. There are no death threats but there are brutally critical analysis. Still the tone is definitely different than woman's board.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What disturbs me about Mike's comments in this show, is that he's inferring that fans aren't attending games because of not enough white players on the team originally came from a member of the UConn Basketball family. IMHO not a player, but from the coaches or athletic department staff. The others on the panel agreed with him that it was not his original idea. I remember that column and haven't reread it, but from what I recall, it was written as if it was his opinion, not one expressed to him by others in the UConn family. If it not, your original opinion then report on where the opinion originally came from and then opine on whether you agree with it or not. Obviously Mike agrees with the opinion.
IIRC, Jeff Jacobs wrote a column that disagreed with DiMauro's column, saying it was the color green, as in money, that was the important factor not the color black or something to that effect. JJ even asked people to email him their reasons. Odd he never alluded to insider statements.

Other than that, my comment re: the clip is - meh. Is there a thinner skinned group than journalists? And I say that with a measure of affection for the big goofs because UConn has the best corp of beat writers in college basketball. I also add my own meager offerings to the articles written on the teams so I know that it's easy to take it personally when someone criticizes the work. But the thing is, when you offer an opinion, someone will disagree with it, not maybe will disagree but will. Anyone who's read even a few threads on any forum on the Internet knows this. Why smart men get their panties in a bunch (sorry, guys) about a bunch of anonymous people is beyond me. I understand JJ resenting the death threats over the "Soupy Sales" comment - that's Call The Cops scary - but to hold a grudge over some folks that are clearly considered the stupidist people in the world and obviously beneath contempt is silly.

But, whatever. There are other things to worry about that bruised egos.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I read all three of those boards. There are no death threats but there are brutally critical analysis. Still the tone is definitely different than woman's board.
The death threats were directed towards Jeff Jacobs after he wrote an column on Nykesha Sales. It was after she took the prearranged shot to get the UConn scoring record. JJ said something like, "It was a moment that was more Soupy Sales than Nykesha Sales" or something like that. People were outraged - Nykesha was a huge fan favorite.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I know that it's easy to take it personally when someone criticizes the work. But the thing is, when you offer an opinion, someone will disagree with it, not maybe will disagree but will.
Wisely put, Nan.

And hell hath no fury like a sports columnist scorned, except one ignored. And that's MD's problem, he writes dumb flames to get read, and then gets pouty when he's scorned.

Reaction Score
The first mistake was going back to CPTV to watch anything involving UCONN...

CL82

Reaction Score
The death threats were directed towards Jeff Jacobs after he wrote an column on Nykesha Sales. It was after she took the prearranged shot to get the UConn scoring record. JJ said something like, "It was a moment that was more Soupy Sales than Nykesha Sales" or something like that. People were outraged - Nykesha was a huge fan favorite.
Thanks Nan, I don't think that I ever saw it. I am surprised 1) that it happened, 2) that it happened on the woman's board, 3) that it was more than mere hyperbole and 4) that it wasn't immediately noticed and deleted by you or the mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom