Mike Elston ND DL coach... | The Boneyard

Mike Elston ND DL coach...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn: Bob Diaco plans to offer the defensive coordinator job to Notre Dame DL coach Mike Elston, according to a source.

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

This will be another great hire. Mike Elston knows HCBD' defense very well and he's also known as a great recruiter. He got lots of 4 and 5* players to commit at ND, yes, I know, its Notre Dame, but with Bob Diaco and Mike Elston sales pitch I wouldn't be surprised if we can land a few big ones here at Uconn.

I apologize if already posted.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Elston was a graduate assistant on the Michigan football staff while Manuel was the assistant AD. So between the close connection between Diaco and Elston, along with the previous history between Elston and Manuel...this makes complete sense.

Reaction Score
Elston was a graduate assistant on the Michigan football staff while Manuel was the assistant AD. So between the close connection between Diaco and Elston, along with the previous history between Elston and Manuel...this makes complete sense.

Great info didn't know that.

Reaction Score
I'm totally ok with this and the ramifications. However I am hoping they implement a bit more attack than what we saw at ND. It is soooo much more fun to watch when LB, etc. are in attack mode.

Reaction Score
Hughes was a decent defensive coordinator but I prefered Don Brown's defenses over Hughes because of his more aggresive approach. I'm hoping Diaco will bring that more aggressive type defense here. Hiring Elston sounds like a good move to me.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
As I stated in another thread, I would be surprised if the defense didn't look more like Hughes D than Brown D. I am okay with that as long as the offense is aggressive. It's tough to watch a bend don't break defense with a ground and pound offense.

Reaction Score
Edsall was more bend but don't break, and Edsall's D caused more turnovers than the aggressive D we saw the first 2 PP years. But Edsall didn't have as much talent on the team as PP and D Brown.

Reaction Score
My biggest disappointment in our defensive alinement is the lack of pre-snap movement to confuse the offense. Faking the blitz, then pulling back when the QB audibles. Moving a safety to the LOS late to suddenly have eight in the box. Keeping the QB wondering if we're man or zone. These have been lacking for a while.

Reaction Score
My biggest disappointment in our defensive alinement is the lack of pre-snap movement to confuse the offense. Faking the blitz, then pulling back when the QB audibles. Moving a safety to the LOS late to suddenly have eight in the box. Keeping the QB wondering if we're man or zone. These have been lacking for a while.

I agree 100%. Unfortunately based on what I have read (articles and message board chatter) and watched on youtube, you will have the exact same complaints with Diaco's defense. Hopefully since Diaco will not be the defensive coordinator here I will be wrong. Hopefully whoever he hires will bring more nuance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Edsall was more bend but don't break, and Edsall's D caused more turnovers than the aggressive D we saw the first 2 PP years.
I can't find season by season defensive stats. Do you have a link for this? Do you have a comparison of sack totals?

Reaction Score
It appears my well-connected ND fan friend is indeed well-connected. He also commented that Elston would be a great addition for us.

Reaction Score
I agree 100%. Unfortunately based on what I have read and watched on youtube, you will have the exact same complaints with Diaco's defense. Hopefully since Diaco will not be the defensive coordinator here I will be wrong.

I know you'll agree with this. It's a lot to expect Diaco to keep opponents under 13 points per game like he did in 2012. In 2013 I believe his defense kept opponents under 20 points per game (on average).

If his defense, and it will be his defense (especially if the DL coach from ND comes here), keeps our opponents under 20 points per game, we should win a boat load of games. That is if our offense continues to improve.

Next year on defense we might be in a world of hurt so it is my hope Diaco brings in an OC (or hopefully TJ stays) and builds off what took place in the last 3 games. We are going to need 30+ points per game next year, IMHO, if we want to go bowling.

I can't believe Diaco is dumb enough to pull a PPGDL and revamp everything. Just can't be.

Reaction Score
It appears my well-connected ND fan friend is indeed well-connected. He also commented that Elston would be a great addition for us.

Is your well connected friend of the belief that Elston will make his way east or end up being promoted by BK @ ND?

Reaction Score
Is your well connected friend of the belief that Elston will make his way east or end up being promoted by BK @ ND?
That he'll be coming to Storrs with Diaco. Texted me that yesterday morning. Followed by, "Aw, poop."

Reaction Score
That he'll be coming to Storrs with Diaco. Texted me that yesterday morning. Followed by, "Aw, poop."

Would be cool - good recruiter as well w/ significant ties to Florida (and the Carolina's). From an interview I read:

>>On his recruiting background:
"I worked at the University of Michigan which recruits on a national scale. That opened up a lot of doors for me both in the Midwest and across the country. I have recruited Florida, in particular, for six years and a number of kids we recruited down there just helped Central Michigan win their second MAC (Mid-American Conference) Championship in three years. The connections that I have at a number of the more successful and prominent high schools in Florida should help us moving forward at pulling in top talent."<<

I'm still wondering if BK makes an offer to keep him on staff.

Reaction Score
I can't believe Diaco is dumb enough to pull a PPGDL and revamp everything. Just can't be.

Let us pray this is true, especially since Diaco's defense has the rep of being "complex and hard to learn".

Reaction Score
I know you'll agree with this. It's a lot to expect Diaco to keep opponents under 13 points per game like he did in 2012. In 2013 I believe his defense kept opponents under 20 points per game (on average).

If his defense, and it will be his defense (especially if the DL coach from ND comes here), keeps our opponents under 20 points per game, we should win a boat load of games. That is if our offense continues to improve.

Next year on defense we might be in a world of hurt so it is my hope Diaco brings in an OC (or hopefully TJ stays) and builds off what took place in the last 3 games. We are going to need 30+ points per game next year, IMHO, if we want to go bowling.

PP revamped a team that had just went to the Fiesta Bowl, Diaco would be revamping a team that just went 3-9. Big difference.

Reaction Score
PP revamped a team that had just went to the Fiesta Bowl, Diaco would be revamping a team that just went 3-9. Big difference.

That's your opinion, others may disagree with you. P didn't inherit any established QB's or RB's, Diaco won't have that same problem, and our returning WR corp is better than it has ever been.

Last edited:

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
That's your opinion, others may disagree with you. P didn't inherit any established QB's or RB's, Diaco won't have that same problem, and our WR corp is as good as it has ever been.
No, but he did inherit a top 25 defense with multiple NFL players on it. Diaco won't have the same benefit.

Reaction Score
There's something to be said for keeping a few staff members around for continuity and familiarity, but at the end of the day, the previous regime did not work, a new HC was brought in by choice - which was not the case last time. The new HC has to install his guys, within reason, to right the ship. A 100% clean slate, maybe not, but if he kept four top staff, a coordinator and three assistants, I'd be concerned.

Reaction Score
No, but he did inherit a top 25 defense with multiple NFL players on it. Diaco won't have the same benefit.

How do you know we don't have multiple NFL players on our defense?

The new coach needs to coach them up just like Don Brown did. Nobody knew Smallwood, and Gratz were NFL players when P took over and most would have said Trevardo Williams was too small. Smallwood never played a down for Edsall.

Warde is on record saying he expects to win next year. I agree with him.

Last edited:

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Edsall was more bend but don't break, and Edsall's D caused more turnovers than the aggressive D we saw the first 2 PP years. But Edsall didn't have as much talent on the team as PP and D Brown.

Edsall had D Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog