Mike Anthony: UConn quarterback Mike Beaudry proved himself to Randy Edsall with one strong season at West Florida and a strong training camp in Storr | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: UConn quarterback Mike Beaudry proved himself to Randy Edsall with one strong season at West Florida and a strong training camp in Storr

Reaction Score
I'm just say that how they gain those yards does matter. Beaudry isn't like to gain the yards that Pindell did on the ground. That's fine, from my perspective, because our backs will be able to get ground yards especially if the defense respects Beaudry's throwing ability and don't stack the box.
You are speaking to the likelihood that Beaudry can get those yards. My premise was that he gets them. And I don't care how, but he does. With that many yards and a much improved D, there should be some W's. The key is the much improved D.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You are speaking to the likelihood that Beaudry can get those yards. My premise was that he gets them. And I don't care how, but he does. With that many yards and a much improved D, there should be some W's. The key is the much improved D.
You were say all yards gained by a quarterback are the same. My point is simply that ability to get yards through the air makes us more difficult to defend and thus has value independent of the actual yardage. But I feel like we are talking past each other at this point, so I'm out. Feel free to get in the last the comment.

C

Chief00

Alternate link here

>>What we know is this: Standing 6 feet, 5 inches tall and weighing 250 pounds, Mike Beaudry is the biggest UConn quarterback of the FBS era, perhaps ever.

The guy is huge. He looks like a tight end or a defensive lineman or a bouncer or a body guard and he has slung the ball around the UConn practice fields pretty well throughout preseason camp, both while in the pocket and on the run.

There's potential in Beaudry, much like there's been potential in every starting quarterback before him, and yet the last time UConn entered and/or settled into a season with more comfort than questions in the state of the position was probably 2004, Dan Orlovsky's senior year.<<

Quite frankly, I don’t think that’s true about there being “potential” in every starting QB since Danny O. A few of them really couldn’t make the throws.

Reaction Score
I’m hoping Tompkins is a threat out of backfield - akin to how we could have better used Arkell

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I don’t think that’s true about there being “potential” in every starting QB since Danny O. A few of them really couldn’t make the throws.

And some were better than he implies - see, e.g., Lorenzen, Frazer, Endres, Cochran. Definitely more misses than hits, but not a desert for 15 years.

C

Chief00

And some were better than he implies - see, e.g., Lorenzen, Frazer, Endres, Cochran. Definitely more misses than hits, but not a desert for 15 years.
Of that group Frazer had a decent arm but not the stats - Casey was poised and accurate but couldn’t throw deep. Add DJ to the couldn’t make all the throws and Johnny Mac although he had a nice touch.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
IMO ... I think/hope we'll see something comparable to Cody Endres. Command the huddle, manage the game, and put the ball where it can be caught, but not picked off. Sometimes getting your line in the right protections and your receivers into the right routes is better than having a rifle arm or world class sprinter's speed.

That was Frazer. Cody could sling the ball and win through the air.

Reaction Score
I am certain the kid can throw the ball. My concern is whether a WR can create separation. Until then, if I’m the opposing DC, I’m stacking the box and daring us to throw.
I hope you are the opposing DC.

Reaction Score
If you have a good passing game, then the defense won’t cram everyone in the box. If you can’t pass the ball your run game has little to no chance of being successful.
Pretty basic. Your point?

Reaction Score
Pretty basic. Your point?
From your post, it seemed like you didn’t have a grasp of this concept. My point was to educate you. It seems I wasted my time.

Reaction Score
From your post, it seemed like you didn’t have a grasp of this concept. My point was to educate you. It seems I wasted my time.
The problem last year with Pindell's passing ability was he could not put enough zip on the ball and with a low enough trajectory beyond 15 yards to get the ball to his targets before the DB's could. Defenses had all the time in the world to converge on Pindell's open targets once the ball was in the air.

Reaction Score
So I am curious why everyone is lecturing me about why I should care about how Beaudry makes his numbers on the year. I just said that I don't care as long as he does it. The whole thing depends on the D. Is that hard to understand? Recall the number of times that UConn went on long drives to score last year and then gave up two touchdowns in five minutes?

Btw, some web sites are saying the UConn D will be little improved this year. I am not a betting man, but it should be interesting. I predicted 2 wins so I guess that I am in the under camp.

Reaction Score
I hope you are the opposing DC.

Yes, because if you were the DC you’d commit to stopping our wideouts. We get that guy and we will all be dancing in the aisles as our O pounds the ball and chews up clock.

Yeesh, even the UConn Daily noted

The Story: The focus on UConn is all about the quarterback and defense — and for good reason. But in addition to a new quarterback, the Huskies' receiving corps will also be filled with untested talent. The top four wide receivers are all gone. Can anyone make a play?

Reaction Score
Yes, because if you were the DC you’d commit to stopping our wideouts. We get that guy and we will all be dancing in the aisles as our O pounds the ball and chews up clock.

Yeesh, even the UConn Daily noted

The Story: The focus on UConn is all about the quarterback and defense — and for good reason. But in addition to a new quarterback, the Huskies' receiving corps will also be filled with untested talent. The top four wide receivers are all gone. Can anyone make a play?
Mason Donaldson is untested and can't make plays???? How about Skanes? Xavier Scott? Maurisseau? Drayton is an untested freshman but he's really really good. Coyle is still here last I checked for punt and KO returns also. Explain to me how you can stack the box and still expect a surprise pass that is well defended? There was no separation last year because all of Pindell's passes took two minutes to reach their targets!!! This year that grave weakness is gone. Like I said if you're the DC tomorrow we'll get some easy scores if you're stacking the box and are thinking we can only put it up on a prayer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Based on comments from a few football savvy guys (one a West Florida alum) I met in Tampa last week we should at least be optimistic before we actually witness Beaudry leading the team. I understand “football savvy” is a relative term—but when I asked what the Huskies should be expecting from Beaudry, one guy said he thought Beaudry had some NFL talent (after a few drinks)! Another said you’ll be impressed with his command of the field. Hey, I know all about overblown hyperbole—lol—but I’d rather have heard those comments than “he’s a bum who you’ll regret””. Let’s see who emerges Thursday night. I hope it’s the second coming of DanO. Wouldn’t that be nice.

Reaction Score
Based on comments from a few football savvy guys (one a West Florida alum) I met in Tampa last week we should at least be optimistic before we actually witness Beaudry leading the team. I understand “football savvy” is a relative term—but when I asked what the Huskies should be expecting from Beaudry, one guy said he thought Beaudry had some NFL talent (after a few drinks)! Another said you’ll be impressed with his command of the field. Hey, I know all about overblown hyperbole—lol—but I’d rather have heard those comments than “he’s a bum who you’ll regret””. Let’s see who emerges Thursday night. I hope it’s the second coming of DanO. Wouldn’t that be nice.
I wonder who's calling the game? Would be nice to have Dan in the booth.

Reaction Score
That was Frazer. Cody could sling the ball and win through the air.

I always thought Frazer had the better arm and Endres had the better touch. One of my favorite Frazer throws was the TD to Darius Butler at Louisville.

Reaction Score
I always thought Frazer had the better arm and Endres had the better touch. One of my favorite Frazer throws was the TD to Darius Butler at Louisville.
I'll 2nd that.

Reaction Score
I always thought Frazer had the better arm and Endres had the better touch.
You’re right. Endres’ ball settled into the receivers hands.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Mason Donaldson is untested and can't make plays???? How about Skanes? Xavier Scott? Maurisseau? Drayton is an untested freshman but he's really really good. Coyle is still here last I checked for punt and KO returns also. Explain to me how you can stack the box and still expect a surprise pass that is well defended? There was no separation last year because all of Pindell's passes took two minutes to reach their targets!!! This year that grave weakness is gone. Like I said if you're the DC tomorrow we'll get some easy scores if you're stacking the box and are thinking we can only put it up on a prayer.

lol is this post for real?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom