Mike Anthony: UConn quarterback Mike Beaudry proved himself to Randy Edsall with one strong season at West Florida and a strong training camp in Storr | The Boneyard

Mike Anthony: UConn quarterback Mike Beaudry proved himself to Randy Edsall with one strong season at West Florida and a strong training camp in Storr

Reaction Score

Alternate link here

>>What we know is this: Standing 6 feet, 5 inches tall and weighing 250 pounds, Mike Beaudry is the biggest UConn quarterback of the FBS era, perhaps ever.

The guy is huge. He looks like a tight end or a defensive lineman or a bouncer or a body guard and he has slung the ball around the UConn practice fields pretty well throughout preseason camp, both while in the pocket and on the run.

There's potential in Beaudry, much like there's been potential in every starting quarterback before him, and yet the last time UConn entered and/or settled into a season with more comfort than questions in the state of the position was probably 2004, Dan Orlovsky's senior year.<<

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll be interested to see how he does against D1 competition. He played "high level D2" which is like saying mid-level FCS.

It's usually the speed of the game that catches up to you at the FBS level.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
FYI, the guy who is going to start at University of West Florida this year is a Colorado State transfer.

The guy who started in 2018 was a transfer from Georgia (never saw the field, but was a scholarship recruited player).

Reaction Score
I will settle for the functional equivalent of Pindell recognizing different strengths and weaknesses in Beaudry and a different forte if you will. Same number of yards gained would be fine. How they do it, doesn't matter. Improvement on D will drive the success (or failure) of this team.

Reaction Score
I will settle for the functional equivalent of Pindell recognizing different strengths and weaknesses in Beaudry and a different forte if you will. Same number of yards gained would be fine. How they do it, doesn't matter. Improvement on D will drive the success (or failure) of this team.
yup

Reaction Score
There is no substitute for in game reps, so I think RE figures he best suited to handle the game mentally and is most capable of adjusting to the speed of the game. We shall see if he can translate up a level. I also like his size. He can see well and has the size to take some beatings. Fingers optimistically crossed.

Reaction Score
There is no substitute for in game reps, so I think RE figures he best suited to handle the game mentally and is most capable of adjusting to the speed of the game. We shall see if he can translate up a level. I also like his size. He can see well and has the size to take some beatings. Fingers optimistically crossed.

Fingers crossed he doesn't have to take too many beatings.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I was surprised to read that he hasn't gained 2020 eligibility yet. I thought he already had two years left.

Reaction Score
I'll be interested to see how he does against D1 competition. He played "high level D2" which is like saying mid-level FCS.

It's usually the speed of the game that catches up to you at the FBS level.
Or more correctly the speed of FBS level defensive backs catching up to Beaudry's passes. That's the problem Pindell faced last year especially in light of his folly floaters passes that had no zip. The fact that Beaudry barely won the competition over a talented QB like Steven Krajewski makes me hopeful that he's able to beat the FBS db's with speed and accuracy, on the run from either side of the field or in the pocket.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I will settle for the functional equivalent of Pindell recognizing different strengths and weaknesses in Beaudry and a different forte if you will. Same number of yards gained would be fine. How they do it, doesn't matter.
I don't know. I'd love to him stretch the field more. We have talent in the backfield. I'd like to see how it does without everybody crammed into the box.

Reaction Score
One thing that will help UConn this year vs last year is the schedule. Last year, UConn started with:

UCF
@Boise St
URI
@Syracuse
Cincinnati
@Memphis
BYE

This year:

Wagner
Illinois
BYE
@Indiana
@UCF
USF
@Tulane

For a young team, starting with Wagner/Illinois/BYE is much better than starting with UCF/@Boise St./URI.

In 2018, after the BYE week, UConn was competitive in 3 out of the next 4 games.

Reaction Score
One thing that will help UConn this year vs last year is the schedule. Last year, UConn started with:

UCF
@Boise St
URI
@Syracuse
Cincinnati
@Memphis
BYE

This year:

Wagner
Illinois
BYE
@Indiana
@UCF
USF
@Tulane

For a young team, starting with Wagner/Illinois/BYE is much better than starting with UCF/@Boise St./URI.

In 2018, after the BYE week, UConn was competitive in 3 out of the next 4 games.
If we beat Wagner by a lot and beat Illinois, I think we win at least 6 games.

Reaction Score
IMO ... I think/hope we'll see something comparable to Cody Endres. Command the huddle, manage the game, and put the ball where it can be caught, but not picked off. Sometimes getting your line in the right protections and your receivers into the right routes is better than having a rifle arm or world class sprinter's speed.

Reaction Score
I don't know. I'd love to him stretch the field more. We have talent in the backfield. I'd like to see how it does without everybody crammed into the box.
Who is saying that won't happen?

Reaction Score
I was surprised to read that he hasn't gained 2020 eligibility yet. I thought he already had two years left.

If I remember correctly the 6th year of eligibility (medical hardship) can only be granted after the conclusion of the final season (the 5th year). It could have changed but that’s what rattled out of my head.

Reaction Score
IMO ... I think/hope we'll see something comparable to Cody Endres. Command the huddle, manage the game, and put the ball where it can be caught, but not picked off. Sometimes getting your line in the right protections and your receivers into the right routes is better than having a rifle arm or world class sprinter's speed.

Dude, don't bogart the conversation

CL82

Reaction Score
Who is saying that won't happen?
I will settle for the functional equivalent of Pindell recognizing different strengths and weaknesses in Beaudry and a different forte if you will. Same number of yards gained would be fine. How they do it, doesn't matter.
I'm just say that how they gain those yards does matter. Beaudry isn't like to gain the yards that Pindell did on the ground. That's fine, from my perspective, because our backs will be able to get ground yards especially if the defense respects Beaudry's throwing ability and don't stack the box.

Reaction Score
I would guess high level D2 >= JUCO. The big difference being you have Jrs and Srs who have experience if less size/speed/talent than D1 players.

Reaction Score
I am certain the kid can throw the ball. My concern is whether a WR can create separation. Until then, if I’m the opposing DC, I’m stacking the box and daring us to throw.

Reaction Score
Or more correctly the speed of FBS level defensive backs catching up to Beaudry's passes. That's the problem Pindell faced last year especially in light of his folly floaters passes that had no zip. The fact that Beaudry barely won the competition over a talented QB like Steven Krajewski makes me hopeful that he's able to beat the FBS db's with speed and accuracy, on the run from either side of the field or in the pocket.
His ability to work through progressions at a faster decision making pace and compensate for quicker close speeds and tighter windows will be interesting. Shouldn’t have a problem until week 2 when warp speed kicks in.

CL82

Reaction Score
I am certain the kid can throw the ball. My concern is whether a WR can create separation. Until then, if I’m the opposing DC, I’m stacking the box and daring us to throw.
I think that Ardell Brown has looked good. Of course looking good against us and looking good against FBS defenders aren't necessarily the same thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom