Mikayla Coombs to Transfer | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Mikayla Coombs to Transfer

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As bad as UConn needs some tall players, I was hoping they would not offer Marshall. Based on the little I've seen, she was in no way, imo, the right answer for UConn's lack of height problem.
I think you got your wish. In the Fed Cup final, Aubrey was the best player on the court, but the reason that CTK beat Ossining had very little to do with Marshall. The other 2 CTK front court players did all the work inside the paint, and they got a great game from their pg, but during most of the game, Marshall was MIA.

Reaction Score
I It's ridiculous and getting worse every year.

The # of transfers has certainly increased. Whether that means "it has gotten worse," is debateable.

The divorce rate is a lot higher now than it used to be. But some of that is because a lot more women now have the financial means to escape a bad/abusive marriage. That's a good thing.

Don't get me wrong, I do wonder if kids are passing up good educations in favor of trying for a WBB career that is really only lucrative for a few players a year, and decent income for a few more.

Reaction Score
The # of transfers has certainly increased. Whether that means "it has gotten worse," is debateable.

The divorce rate is a lot higher now than it used to be. But some of that is because a lot more women now have the financial means to escape a bad/abusive marriage. That's a good thing.

Don't get me wrong, I do wonder if kids are passing up good educations in favor of trying for a WBB career that is really only lucrative for a few players a year, and decent income for a few more.
I think you're right about this. It's probably hard for players to come to the realization that high school was the pinnacle of their basketball career, and that they will have to go pro in something else like 99% of collegiate athletes. Looking at the meager number of players drafted into the WNBA, let alone those that make a roster, would serve as a cautionary tale for me. There are a number of fringe players not good enough for regular WNBA work, but good enough to make a living with an overseas team, so maybe there are just more legitimate WBB career paths open today than before.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think you got your wish. In the Fed Cup final, Aubrey was the best player on the court, but the reason that CTK beat Ossining had very little to do with Marshall. The other 2 CTK front court players did all the work inside the paint, and they got a great game from their pg, but during most of the game, Marshall was MIA.
Yes, I agree. I watched that game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Anyone who's ever played college sports knows that sitting on the bench sucks. I did it my sophomore year and I hated it. (freshmen weren't eligible for the varsity back in the dark ages) My junior & senior years, I got to play and everything was fine.

So let's do a little math. There are around 350 D1 basketball programs. Let's say they have, on average, 12 scholarship players each, for a total of 4,200. Let's say that each school actually gives meaningful PT to 7 players each on average for a total of 2,450. That leaves somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,750 players who hate sitting on the bench, and in WBB it's even worse because the really good players stay for all 4 years. There's no one and dones.

Kids simply want to play the game they've loved since they first learned how to bounce a basketball. Transfers will continue to be part of the game and that's just fine. Coaches will have to accept it and make it part of their planning each and every year if they want to be successful.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Don't believe Westbrook would be eligible to play next year unless she gets a special waiver.

Reaction Score
It's also possible that Coombs looked to her senior year and realized she would likely be sitting even more then than next season. I think a lot of players can stand being a sub until senior year. I totally understand.

Reaction Score
Geno recruited Steph because she ran the court hard every time. Marshall does not.
Not sure I buy that. When she first joined the program she could barely run the floor. I remember it was her passing abilities that he talked about.

Reaction Score
Anyone who's ever played college sports knows that sitting on the bench sucks. I did it my sophomore year and I hated it. (freshmen weren't eligible for the varsity back in the dark ages) My junior & senior years, I got to play and everything was fine.

So let's do a little math. There are around 350 D1 basketball programs. Let's say they have, on average, 12 scholarship players each, for a total of 4,200. Let's say that each school actually gives meaningful PT to 7 players each on average for a total of 2,450. That leaves somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,750 players who hate sitting on the bench, and in WBB it's even worse because the really good players stay for all 4 years. There's no one and dones.

Kids simply want to play the game they've loved since they first learned how to bounce a basketball. Transfers will continue to be part of the game and that's just fine. Coaches will have to accept it and make it part of their planning each and every year if they want to be successful.
I have said that for a long time---as a player, I wanted to play. Any kid worth their keep want to play.
Coombs had a bad Frosh year, and recovery as aSoph.
Sorry to hear the news but not entirely unexpected. I thought Mikayla might get some minutes in the tournament as a defensive stopper, but when Geno failed to use her against the likes of UCLA, Lou & ND, it was pretty clear that her offensive weakness outweighed her defensive strength as far as Geno was concerned.

I wish her all the best. Mikayla is a wonderful athlete. I sincerely hope she finds a place to enjoy “playing” basketball.

I had great hopes for Coombs. Damn shame . Geno shows WHEN he plays a bench player his level of trust in that player--Geno was a bit off on Jefferson as a frosh, I think he was off in his assessment of Coombs. With her, Geno had some characteristics of a TEAM--think the Obvious starters plus Coombs and hopefully Touly --with or without an injection from Europeans or Grads he had the resemblance of a team-Coombs hurts badly in my opinion, ARE THERE MORE???

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The timing certainly seems odd. If she were planning to transfer for a long time, you'd expect her to make it public within a day or two of the last game, rather than waiting for three weeks, if only to get her name on other programs' radar. So something must have changed her calculus subsequent to the last game.

Maybe it was the signing of Paige and Nika, which she might have seen as threatening her senior year minutes and hence her draftability after her senior season. Or she may not have gotten a positive read from Geno about her chances of starting next year. Or she may have heard the rumors about Makurat and Westbrook, or she may actually know something about one of those situations that goes beyond what has been publicly revealed.

Reaction Score
Yes, he does. But the problem is they (the male practice players) can't travel. So when UCONN practices on away games they can only use what they got. Granted a lot of times that is just shoot around, but if they want to work on 5v5 stuff, can't do it without 10 players.
Good point I had never thought about Re: not enough practice players (i.e. no men travel) when UConn is away for several days.

Reaction Score
Not sure I buy that. When she first joined the program she could barely run the floor. I remember it was her passing abilities that he talked about.

Yup, her passing and her footwork. She may have been slow end to end, but her motor never stopped.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

14 pts, 7 reb, 3 ast, while not eye-popping doesn't read as "MIA" to me.

Hard to say if UConn could have changed her thinking if they were more aggressive, but I think Marshall was leaning pretty hard toward ND for a while. And then Stanford was the primary alternative because of the academics. Marshall & UConn wasn't going to happen for a number of reasons.

Anyhow, speaking of ND & UConn. Both are in the same boat. Painfully short on numbers. But already have really nice starts on 2020 recruiting classes.

Final Fours or no, kids want to play, not be along for the ride. When you have coaches that tend to stick to a 7-player rotation, this is an occupational hazard, I suppose.

Additionally, one does wonder if the old school perfectionist approach of Geno and Muffet is what kids want these days. Everyone loves Oregon now and Graves seems to have the image of a more relaxed "Players' Coach".

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She is highly rated, and let's recall that Stephanie Dolson was no superstar when she was in high school. Slow, not good hands, and out of shape. But a couple of years later, she became strong underneath, dynamic, a great passer, and one of the best posts in the nation.
Stef always had great hands and footwork. But she was slow and out of shape.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

Hard to say if UConn could have changed her thinking if they were more aggressive, but I think Marshall was leaning pretty hard toward ND for a while. And then Stanford was the primary alternative because of the academics. Marshall & UConn wasn't going to happen for a number of reasons.

Anyhow, speaking of ND & UConn. Both are in the same boat. Painfully short on numbers. But already have really nice starts on 2020 recruiting classes.

Final Fours or no, kids want to play, not be along for the ride. When you have coaches that tend to stick to a 7-player rotation, this is an occupational hazard, I suppose.

Additionally, one does wonder if the old school perfectionist approach of Geno and Muffet is what kids want these days. Everyone loves Oregon now and Graves seems to have the image of a more relaxed "Players' Coach".
Yup, and so far Graves with his relaxed "Players' Coaching" has won how many NCs or even played in a NC game? But I agree with what you are saying.
It might just be me but I think the majority of Transfers are not looking for a path to a NC but are looking for a way to just get on another team where the chances are that they going to play more minutes and possibly not have to work too hard.

Reaction Score
you got that right.........this 2017 class has proven to be problematic and it has put the team in a tough position.....Geno & Co's assessment of these three recruits proved to be off the mark....just proof that even the great coaches don't always get them right
Yeah I agree. I think when I saw them play they didn’t warrant the high rankings from high school but also didn’t seem like they had the ability to make a mark on the program other than Meg.

Reaction Score
So here's my take. Mikayla hadn't played much in 2 years and was unlikely to play much in the next two years. However, there is a window for at least 1 starter on next year's team, as well as a 6th man. If the Huskies go any deeper than 6 players it'll be a miracle, but as I've said many times before, nobody goes much deeper than 6 players in big games.

Mikayla will have had her post-season review with Geno and there would certainly have been a discussion of how much PT she could expect next year, and what she had to do to earn it. Others may disagree, but if UConn does not bring in another player, based on who's returning along with one talented, but undeveloped freshman, Mikayla would very likely be UConn's 5th starter next year. She was the 2nd player off the bench down the stretch. A healthy Batouly might be a better option as the 5th starter, but sadly I don't think that is in the cards. Had Geno communicated to Mikayla that he was counting on her next season, I think there is a very good chance that she would have stayed. The one thing I would absolutely expect is that Geno would be completely honest with Mikayla.

So the logical conclusion is that Geno has someone else in mind as the 5th starter and perhaps the 6th man as well. We can certainly speculate: Makurat, Westbrook, Laksa, TBD? I believe that all of our questions will be answered in the next few weeks. Until then, try to stay calm and enjoy the warm weather.
Totally agree. It will work out for both UConn and MC

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

No doubt Marshall has skills. But in the 2 games I watched her play, if you didn’t know anything about anyone playing, and I asked you to pick out the top rated player on the court, she would not be your 1st choice, and probably not your 2nd or 3rd. Don’t get me wrong. Marshall could be a very good player for ND, but she has to learn/decide to play hard all the time and not just on occasions.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have the same concern about Aubrey Griffin, although Griffin’s motor runs at a considerably higher rate than Marshall’s. Both will need to crank it up if they want to earn PT for Muffet & Geno respectively.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom