Mid Majors Get a Boost in Latest Creme Bracketogy | The Boneyard

Mid Majors Get a Boost in Latest Creme Bracketogy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Latest posting by Charlie has three sliding P5 teams moving out (Michigan, Iowa State, Washington State) with only one (Oklahoma State) moving in. One of the replacements was Tulane, back in again despite the drubbing by UConn and a previous loss to East Carolina, which could be challenging the Green Wave for a spot if Sagarin ratings are used as a reference, especially after the win over USF. Michigan, ISU, and WSU all shared 1-5 records in their last 6 games, and ISU's main claim to fame was two wins over Texas, which now seem like pretty worthless currency. Middle Tenn State was the other mid major moved in for a P5 team's spot. Two CT teams in with Quinnipiac staying strong.

Creme has USF in the Albany region with UConn, which is no biggie but would be nice if the AAC's second team could go elsewhere.

Last edited:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
And if you extended it back in time a bit and included Miami, it's 10. But yeah, and 7 of the 9 projections there are single-digit seeds. Plus even with its struggles, West Virginia is one of the first four out.

As they used to say when the BEast started winning all the championships, "Break up the Big East!"

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Very glad to see Tulane in. Their remaining games are at Temple and Tulsa, and hosting UCONN and Memphis. If they win at the other 3, I don't see where it does much to damage their resume and they would end at 22-7. Winning a few games in the AACT would be good too. Win or lose vs. USF in the semifinals and I would think that seals it.

LSU (14-10), Georgia (5-7 in the SEC) and Arkansas (15-9, 5-7) are also in? I think Arkansas loses 3 of their last 4 and gets dropped. LSU has an easier schedule the rest of the way and I just don't know about Georgia. 17-10 is ok and they probably stay in as they were ranked for a good part of the year, but those 3 teams are weak...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I find it interesting that Creme is joining in the spirit of the committee in his placement of two seeds:
Baylor to Spokane not OKC
Oregon State to Greensboro not Spokane
MD to OKC not Greensboro (or Albany.)

That is the kind of brain dead ignorance of geography I would expect from the committee but not from Creme.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Ah, but don't forget, Creme is actually trying to think like the committee, though the thought process changes from year to year, so that is very difficult to do. Now you have to assume that he's thinking that the committee would be a little brain-dead in this situation, but whether he's right of not may never be proven because the situation is going to change by mid March.

The committee had almost never (and maybe never) taken a team with a 3-7 record in the last 10 games before, but last year not only did they take a couple of teams in that situation but they also took a team that went 2-8 in its last 10. In 2012-13 the committee took only one team with a losing conference record, but last year they took 4, including 3 from the SEC, all at 7-9. And of course there was dispensations given to move teams around, like with UConn to Nebraska. To make sure that the "required" 8 teams from the SEC get in, the committee might need to take a team with a 6-10 conference record (a first for an at-large selection) if either Georgia or Arkansas lose 3 of their last 4, which is a distinct possibility. Losing to the #178 team in the nation combined with 10-15 losses would usually be a tough task for getting an at-large selection, but LSU will breeze in with a likely winning conference record.

And yeah, every year throws in some wrinkles, so trying to figure out what they would do for the situation right now is kind of a futile thankless task, though it does bring questions to the fore that hopefully make the committee think about them ahead of time rather than just doing something stupid and then having to say something brainless at the post selection interview meeting.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but I don't believe that Duke and Kentucky deserve a #3 seed at this point and Baylor should be getting a #1 seed.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I'm sorry but I don't believe that Duke and Kentucky deserve a #3 seed at this point and Baylor should be getting a #1 seed.
The problem though is finding two other good candidates for #3's. Most of the ratings would say Princeton would be the best choice, but under selection committee criteria, the Tigers aren't a real option with their lack of top wins. Maybe Arizona State for KY though they've lost 2 of last 3, but they'll likely win out during regular season.

Reaction Score
I find it interesting that Creme is joining in the spirit of the committee in his placement of two seeds:
Baylor to Spokane not OKC
Oregon State to Greensboro not Spokane
MD to OKC not Greensboro (or Albany.)

That is the kind of brain dead ignorance of geography I would expect from the committee but not from Creme.

As Creme himself has said, he constructs his brackets as he believes the committee will do
and not as he thinks they should do.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

If Duke wins out the rest of the regular season (probable) and makes the ACC finals (possible) then they will deserve a #3 seed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom