Michigan Game Ticket Sale Finger-pointing | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Michigan Game Ticket Sale Finger-pointing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Season ticket holders, as a whole, will not be selling their Mich tickets regardless of the MD outcome. REAL season ticket holders won't pass up the most storied program ever to visit the Rent for a few extra dollars. (unless a very important person is getting married...:cool:). AFTER the Michigan game all bets are off.

You won't be able to give them away if we are 0-3 or worse, 0-4 after Buffalo.

Most people have also planned around this with parties / tailgates / etc. They aren't going to cancel their plans because we might lose. Anyone with a brain knows that we were always going to be a dog in this game.

Reaction Score
The true problem with UConn Football is 70% (and I think I'm being conservative here) of the population that lives within 100 miles of the stadium doesn't care about them. They don't care if they win or lose, they care who we are playing, and they certainly aren't interested in going to a game.

Compare that to Columbus OH or Gainesville FL where I'm assuming it's about 10% who don't care and everybody who isn't at the game wishes they were.

The only thing I ever see changing that is success -- which we've had with Men's and Women's Basketball -- and as soon as things come back down to a earth we'll fall right back to where we were. Maybe we are just too busy in the Northeast to invest the time it takes to become a rabid fan base.

I'm interested to talk to Michigan fans to see how far on average people travel to the Big House. Should put things in perspective for the people from corners of the state who complain about a MAX of an hour and a half drive to the Rent.

Reaction Score
Having gone to the Michigan game, although they are not as bad as us here in the Northeast, they still arrive late and take off early. They arent the holy grail of football fanship.

It's not just about the game/leaving early, it is about the football CULTURE at Michigan. Even going to just one game at the big house you should be able to notice that college football is just different with this kind of fan base.

After graduation I moved to Ann Arbor and sadly I thought I knew what college football was about being a UConn fan but it was simply not the case. In the mid-west (and the south) it is a part of you growing up. Kids are fans of either Michigan or Michigan State as kids and I can only compare it to what the Red Sox/Yankees draw in the northeast. I love UConn but like most other people I graduated with I never attended a game or REALLY cared before I was a freshman.

The sad fact is our fan base is clearly inferior to almost all B1G schools (save Northwestern/MD/Rutgers) and I think that is the biggest reason we're not in a better conference, not because PP set our football program back 15 years.

So coming in for the Michigan game I can't wait to cheer on UConn but it won't shock me one bit to hear "Hail! to the Victors" all afternoon. It is just a statement of how many light years our fan base is behind the curve of B1G-Time college athletics.

Reaction Score
It's not just about the game/leaving early, it is about the football CULTURE at Michigan. Even going to just one game at the big house you should be able to notice that college football is just different with this kind of fan base.

After graduation I moved to Ann Arbor and sadly I thought I knew what college football was about being a UConn fan but it was simply not the case. In the mid-west (and the south) it is a part of you growing up. Kids are fans of either Michigan or Michigan State as kids and I can only compare it to what the Red Sox/Yankees draw in the northeast. I love UConn but like most other people I graduated with I never attended a game or REALLY cared before I was a freshman.

The sad fact is our fan base is clearly inferior to almost all B1G schools (save Northwestern/MD/Rutgers) and I think that is the biggest reason we're not in a better conference, not because PP set our football program back 15 years.

So coming in for the Michigan game I can't wait to cheer on UConn but it won't shock me one bit to hear "Hail! to the Victors" all afternoon. It is just a statement of how many light years our fan base is behind the curve of B1G-Time college athletics.

Good post. But apparently you forgot Indiana existed.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
a few years a go I was talking to a U Texas fan and mentioned our fans arriving late/leaving early. He said UT fans leave early too, especially if the game is out of hand one way or another.

It has nothing to do with fandom. It has to do with being entertained. If you are watching a bad movie, do you change the channel (turn off on-demand, press the stop button, leave the theatre, whathaveyou)? Yes, you do. One week ago tonight, the Red Sox beat up on the Tigers. These are the best two teams in the American League, but the score was 20-4. I went to bed at 9-4. Did I like the offensive display? Sure. Was it even better that my favorite team was the one laying the wood? Absolutely. Was I entertained? Not enough to want not get a good night sleep for the following work day.

Granted I'll pay more attention and for longer if I'm in physical attendance at the venue, but it still. The more I'm entertained, the longer you'll hold my attention.

Reaction Score
Having gone to the Michigan game, although they are not as bad as us here in the Northeast, they still arrive late and take off early. They arent the holy grail of football fanship.

I will say that the Michigan fans I spoke to at the game were hospitable and knowledgeable. But as far as game day atmosphere, I thought it was severely lacking. I guess I was just expecting more. Wisconsin, LSU, and Ohio State were much better atmospheres game day.

The tailgate crew I was with rented someone's front yard right in front of the stadium. You better believe there were several husky flags displayed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Good post. But apparently you forgot Indiana existed.

I thought about them, football is weak for sure but I think Freedom Hall and their basketball following speaks for itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom