Michigan and Syracuse on the schedule? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Michigan and Syracuse on the schedule?

Reaction Score
I do not now and will never in this lifetime accept any suggestion that Syracuse is somehow on a different level than UConn, except maybe at Lacrosse.
You don't have to accept it, but the facts are the facts:
Syracuse is in a P5 conference, UConn isn't. That alone means Syracuse athletically is at a different level than UConn.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You don't have to accept it, but the facts are the facts:
Syracuse is in a P5 conference, UConn isn't. That alone means Syracuse athletically is at a different level than UConn.

I don't buy that. We are independent now. And yet we just got a straight home and home with a superior program in the same conference, UNC. So I don't believe a 2-1 is justified with the likes of Syracuse. 1-1-neutral would be fine.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I don't buy that. We are independent now. And yet we just got a straight home and home with a superior program in the same conference, UNC. So I don't believe a 2-1 is justified with the likes of Syracuse. 1-1-neutral would be fine.
It's a great point. 1-1 is good enough for NC but not Syracuse? Doesn't make sense.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What is to stop the next Cuse deal from being 2 for 1 on our side. You are making way to big a deal about this. When 2 for 1 with bottom half P5 teams becomes the norm then squawk. Our priorities are 1. build a marketable schedule that puts us in the P5 universe and 2. Increase revenue.

We just completed a 2 for 0 with BC, for the money. Our 2020 home schedule sucks, this is a positive step.

Syracuse is the very definition of a bottom half P5 team.

Reaction Score
It’s one extra road game with a P5 school. Not gonna destroy us as long as it doesn’t become the scheduling norm.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Everyone knew there was going to be a sprinkling of P5 2-1's in the future. So long as it is the exception and not the rule, I'm okay with it. Yes, it sucks that it is 'cuse, but being that there are plenty of equal or better 1-1's on the schedule it shows 'cuse isn't the cutoff line between one for one's and two for one's.

Reaction Score
Personally I would be upset to give Cuse a 2-1 deal if they are suppose to be a regional rival. However, if its a 2-1 deal that includes games in 2021 or 2022 and helps get another game with a team they are already scheduled to play, then I would change my opinion to a win-win. We have we got 8 games set for those two seasons, so getting games at this point matters first and foremost. But if 2-1 for one is further down the road, then its a crap deal.

Reaction Score
Personally I would be upset to give Cuse a 2-1 deal if they are suppose to be a regional rival. However, if its a 2-1 deal that includes games in 2021 or 2022 and helps get another game with a team they are already scheduled to play, then I would change my opinion to a win-win. We have we got 8 games set for those two seasons, so getting games at this point matters first and foremost. But if 2-1 for one is further down the road, then its a crap deal.

Ya, I was originally miffed about it, but if this is the case or the fruit giving us a massive paycheck for a bus-able game then I'm good with it.

Reaction Score
love to see it - one of my greatest college memories was road-tripping with the boys to the Big House for the last time we played there - from 3am wrestling in the Denny's parking lot for the middle seat to tailgating with UM diehards on a golf course - looking forward to going back!
One my my greatest memories was @pepband99 bringing me out some Ten Penny!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
love to see it - one of my greatest college memories was road-tripping with the boys to the Big House for the last time we played there - from 3am wrestling in the Denny's parking lot for the middle seat to tailgating with UM diehards on a golf course - looking forward to going back!
You wacky guys!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Ok DB, you got a pay game at Michigan, not get one at Penn State and you'll get a massive Heck Yeah from me. That's my dream trip. Spent many years going to games there as a kid with both parents as Alums. Would love to go as an opposing fan. State College is an amazing college town.

Reaction Score
Ok DB, you got a pay game at Michigan, not get one at Penn State and you'll get a massive Heck Yeah from me. That's my dream trip. Spent many years going to games there as a kid with both parents as Alums. Would love to go as an opposing fan. State College is an amazing college town.

State College is a blast on game weekends. I'd love for Uconn Fans to have a chance to visit. The tailgate/bar scene is massive and very friendly to fans of opposing teams. You'll not want for a beer or burger all day. That said you might want to wait until Post Edsall to visit. CJF might try to hang a hundred on Uconn for the stupid * Randy pulled when he was still coaching at UMD.

Reaction Score
I am more worried that in general the home slate is awful. We've hashed and re-hashed the "win some games and create excitement" but the home schedule is f'in bad.

Reaction Score
I am more worried that in general the home slate is awful. We've hashed and re-hashed the "win some games and create excitement" but the home schedule is f'in bad.

Next year's home schedule is bad. That was put together in the short run because of the sudden indy move. Down the road in upcoming years we should expect better home schedules. (2022 and 2023 already have more attractive home opponents.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2020 isn't as bad as the next years IMO. Lots of open dates, but I don't see 2021 thru 2023 as better than 2020 right now:

2020 home: UMass, Indiana, ODU, Maine, Liberty, MTSU, Army
2021 home: Purdue, MTSU, Holy Cross
2022 home: CCSU, Fresno State, BC
2023 home: Duke, Lafayette, NC State, Utah State

2021: Unless a team is scheduled for November 27th (which won't be easy to do with an FBS opponent), there won't be a home game in 2021 after November 7th. That's not ideal. Vs 2020, Indiana and Purdue are a wash, and 2020 has Army, and Maine + UMass >> Holy Cross (IMO). Things could change, but unlikely an opponent as compelling as Army will be added to 2021.

2022: BC is on the home schedule which is a big plus. I guess 2022 could fill in better, but even with BC I'll take UMass + Indiana + Army in 2020 over CCSU + Fresno + BC in 2022.

2023: It has potential with Duke, NC State, and Utah State. But with no regional opponents, and no opponents scheduled for November yet, I'd still take 2020.

Maybe I just need to re-calibrate my expectations of UConn as an independent. Home games dominated by FCS and lower tier Conference USA teams, likely no ranked teams at home, and November games will be sparse.

Reaction Score
I was at a UConn alumni event recently and ran into an well connected alum who insisted that UConn football is getting a series with Notre Dame. I was surprised and asked if he was referring to the 'series' that turned into just 1 game back in '09; but, the person was insistent that it was in the future. In retrospect, the person may have had a drink or two extra and could have been talking about the woman's basketball series that UConn just extended, so take this with a large grain of salt...

Reaction Score

Insert a Home date with Syracuse somewhere below. Now have 9 of 12 slots booked for 2022.
Okay...

August 27 at Utah State
September 3 CENTRAL CONNECTICUT
September 10 SYRACUSE
September 17 at Michigan
September 24 at North Carolina State
October 1 FRESNO STATE
October 15 at Ball State
October 29 BOSTON COLLEGE
November 19 at Army

(;) per the UConn release above.)

Online statistics