Michigan AD still pursuing moving '13 game to Meadowlands | The Boneyard

Michigan AD still pursuing moving '13 game to Meadowlands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How about if it produces enough extra revenue that the AD can afford a coaching change?

Having now read the article, it sounds like the Michigan AD knows full well that the game isn't going to be moved, but is trying to score points with his maize and blue NYC area alumni by pretending that he's trying up until the bitter end.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Wasn't the Rent already built when Michigan agreed to this? It's not like the contract was signed in 2002 when UConn was going to share a 68,000 seat stadium with the Patriots. This game needs to be played in-state.

Reaction Score
I'm really sorry it won't be easy for Michigan alumni to get tickets to the game.

Playing this game in Foxboro or NJ means it's now a neutral site bordering on a Michigan homegame. We might as well be an FCS school at that point.

If you want a bigger venue, play it at Yale Bowl.

Reaction Score
Would you be in favor of this offer if the financial incentive to move the game was enough to pay for PPs buyout and allow us to hire a new coach this offseason?
that would make it worth the drive

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
if we can get enough $ to cover damage of moving the game from our state and enough to buyout P&D i say go for it warde. but thats a ton of $$ to get. if not then i am 0% in favor of moving it.

Reaction Score
Under the current setup, it would be very difficult for those alums to get tickets at Rentschler because of the capacity.

DUH,,, that's why it's a "home game" for UCONN.

He's just making it seem like it's an Northeast exhibition for alumni in the area. We are their Marathon Oil.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Would you be in favor of this offer if the financial incentive to move the game was enough to pay for PPs buyout and allow us to hire a new coach this offseason?

Are you kidding? Up 24 zip on Pitt at the half? He's obviously the greatest coach ever!

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Are you kidding? Up 24 zip on Pitt at the half? He's obviously the greatest coach ever!
And then zero points in the 2nd half....yep, it's still Coach P. I thought I was dreaming for a while.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Here you go. . . .would much prefer Rent but if moving game is tied to something else that benefits UConn - like Big 10 invite (hah) - I'd consider it if I was WM.

I'm glad you are not WM. This game is the reward to all the season ticketholders who have supported the team over the years. Moving it wouldn't be worth the money.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It should be considered but money should not be the tradeoff. If moving the game to for exmple the Meadowlands gets us four more games with Michigan, one at Foxboro, one at an expanded Rent (which can be moved to either Foxboro or the Meadowlands if we don't expand) and two more trips to the Big House we would be foolish to stand firm on 2013 at the Rent.

Yankee Stadium is not much larger than the Rent. That venue should not be a alternative and should only be considered for something like a neutral site game (part of a 1-1-1) with Army.

I do believe that there is a very strong possibility that (as BL posted) this is merely political posturing, for NE alumni who may be stuck purchasing season tickets in order to attend this game. He has to be able to say that he exhausted all avenues before giving up the fight.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It should be considered but money should not be the tradeoff. If moving the game to for exmple the Meadowlands gets us four more games with Michigan...

That they can cancel?

Reaction Score
How many tickets does UM normally get for an away game in the B1G? I'm guessing at most it would be 10% of capacity, so around 7,000 or so on average (though obviously they can land much more for games at NW and IU).

We allocate about 3,500 tickets to the away team. I'm sure we could up that 5,000 just on unsold season tickets and we could further give them another 5,000 (10,000 total) by putting in temporary seating below the scoreboard and by moving the band and a few students to field level bleachers (like Notre Dame does). We could also sell limited SRO tickets. Unfortunately, this is the type of creativity our Athletic Department has long lacked so I doubt it will happen.

Some might argue we will lose our home advantage as a result, but keeping good relations with schools like Michigan is paramount these days. Besides, it would be awesome to have a new record crowd of 45,000 at the Rent.

Reaction Score
I'm glad you are not WM. This game is the reward to all the season ticketholders who have supported the team over the years. Moving it wouldn't be worth the money.
as one who has season tix since mid-1990s would love nothing more than a Michigan to play at Rent. I'm optimistic that time will come soon enough. If a move to Meadowlands does something to strengthen our shaky situation (scheduling, conference affiliation) I can wait a little bit longer to Tennessee or Iowa or someone else

Reaction Score
a. Ever since I started buying Season tickets, I've dreamed of UConn hosting a game against a national elite football program (the Wolverines qualify)
b. If this game was moved to the Meadowlands & an appropriate replacement wasn't added to the home schedule, it's a total slap in the face by the athletic department to those of us who continually sign up for 3-year commitments to support this team. There ABSOLUTELY has to be a comparable replacement to the home schedule.
c. I don't mind moving the game as long as the following conditions are met:
1. see (b)
2. UConn controls the ticket gate & souvenir concessions (something that I can't see the Meadowlands Authority agreeing to, but would be a goldmine for the UConn Co-Op)
3.Extension of the series for at least 4 more games (2 away, 1 Meadowlands UConn home game, 1 post RENT expansion)
4. Cooperation & agreement by both athletic departments to a 10 year agreement of home & homes (5,5)
for Men's & Women's basketball & once UConn has upgraded, Men's & Women's Hockey.

As you can see, I don't ask for much in return for doing someone a favor.;)

Reaction Score
Don't think those are unreasonable terms, Cap. Kind of tradeoff that would be worthwhile. In a time when we usually dont have leverage we should exercise it the few times that we do

Reaction Score
I personally think Michigan alumni should be forced to come and check out our stadium. Might adjust their opinion of whether we'd fit in the B1G or not. We can do better than Purdue and Northwestern and Indiana.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
as one who has season tix since mid-1990s would love nothing more than a Michigan to play at Rent. I'm optimistic that time will come soon enough. If a move to Meadowlands does something to strengthen our shaky situation (scheduling, conference affiliation) I can wait a little bit longer to Tennessee or Iowa or someone else

The UM is a total fluke. Moving it for a bag of trinkets does us no long-term good for the program. In fact, I think it would do damage to fan support. It's the equivilent of a sports team trading it's best player. The return is never worth the loss.

Reaction Score
The UM is a total fluke. Moving it for a bag of trinkets does us no long-term good for the program. In fact, I think it would do damage to fan support. It's the equivilent of a sports team trading it's best player. The return is never worth the loss.

How about trading an OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22