Michelle Smith: Are you ready for some madness? | The Boneyard

Michelle Smith: Are you ready for some madness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Here are the five things we look forward to most as we prepare for tipoff:

1. The next step for Stewie: Assuming that Connecticut is the clear favorite to win a third consecutive national title, assuming that the Huskies have a decent chance of running the table on the season, assuming UConn is deep and talented and experienced at this whole winning thing, where's the burning question about Geno Auriemma's team? It lies with junior Breanna Stewart and how much better the best player in the country can get.

LINK

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
I have another view of 2-5..

2. Will the contribution of Kiah Stokes increase? We need scoring from her.

3. Saniya Chong.. Will she step up and put them down?

4. Morgan Tuck... Her return and contribution?

5. Who is first off the bench when we need fresh air (points)?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
2. Actually, I doubt if we NEED it, Yank, but dollars to donuts we get it.
3. I will be very surprised if she doesn;t.
4. Bar injury, she will be the best 6th man in the country. By far.
5. See 4

Reaction Score
I have another view of 2-5..

2. Will the contribution of Kiah Stokes increase? We need scoring from her.

3. Saniya Chong.. Will she step up and put them down?

4. Morgan Tuck... Her return and contribution?

5. Who is first off the bench when we need fresh air (points)?
2. Yes Kiah decides to "just go for it" in her senior year (and have you seen those guns??)

3. Saniya will step up - off the bench

4. Morgan contributes at the AA level, as a starter, and forces the media to challenge their, "only __ players from one team can be first team AA" mentality.

5. Saniya is first off the bench, heeds the "I got beaten out by a freshman (Nurse)" wake-up call, and exerts her scoring prowess.

HGN

Reaction Score
Many good teams out there for sure....S.C. , TENN., N.D., STANFORD , DUKE , etc....UConn must stay healthy in player 1--9 and get expected contributions from each in order to repeat. We don't have the size we have had in the past but we have enough. KML has always helped on the boards and must do it again.

Our competition has gotten better but the Huskies haven't been standing still either.

Reaction Score
I do like MS article about Stewie and one of the comments I read by a reader. It acknowledges that Stewie will/can be better, but say she doesn't have the body to play inside for long periods- at least not against some of the bangers. We know about her shot blocking and ability to catch and hold the ball, but have she developed post-moves: half hooks, etc. I remember a few years ago Geno was quoted to have rec. a hook shot to Griner if she wanted an uncontestable arsenal. What about Stewie? Please don't say she can score from outside etc., we all know that. What features of her game she could work on to be even better. She is the only one we have taken for granted- as in she is too light years away and will be better by just being a year older and having played with the bigger girls/women. But really, can we use Michelle's article for a separate and serious discussion on Stewie and what aspects of the game she might add upon, beyond just scoring 30 points a game.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I do like MS article about Stewie and one of the comments I read by a reader. It acknowledges that Stewie will/can be better, but say she doesn't have the body to play inside for long periods- at least not against some of the bangers. We know about her shot blocking and ability to catch and hold the ball, but have she developed post-moves: half hooks, etc. I remember a few years ago Geno was quoted to have rec. a hook shot to Griner if she wanted an uncontestable arsenal. What about Stewie? Please don't say she can score from outside etc., we all know that. What features of her game she could work on to be even better. She is the only one we have taken for granted- as in she is too light years away and will be better by just being a year older and having played with the bigger girls/women. But really, can we use Michelle's article for a separate and serious discussion on Stewie and what aspects of the game she might add upon, beyond just scoring 30 points a game.

My impression was that Geno was more interested in developing her Guard-type skills (ball handling) rather than post moves.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Many good teams out there for sure....S.C. , TENN., N.D., STANFORD , DUKE , etc....UConn must stay healthy in player 1--9.

I don't agree with your premise.
We have way too much talent to be seriously challenged.
A big bruiser may score some, but it won't be of any consequence.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Stewie regularly scored inside last year. She already has a formidable inside game. She can use her right or left hand in the lane. It is possible she could be more vocal but it is hard to tell from TV.

There is little she needs to add besides continuing to get stronger and refine her already multifaceted game. Assuming the mantle of leadership as an upperclass member may be the one area she is inexperienced in because she has always played up from her age.

Reaction Score

Don't know what games you got to see last year but Stewie has the hook, the half hook, turnaround with either hand.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As others have said Stewart does have a developed inside game - as a freshman she had a hard time adjusting to the more physical college game and better opponents and tended to shy away from the contact. Last year she had adjusted and was more balanced in inside/outside play. I imagine playing against Dolson, Lavender, Charles, Dupree, and Griner in USA trials and the WC practices further advanced her education on physicality. After last year, Geno and she both talked about an area she had not really focused on - her ball handling skills and learning to work off the dribble rather than just catch and shoot whether inside or outside. That does not mean that she is not also working hard with Marisa and CD on low post offense and defense.
I do think even with her developed physicality that she would struggle strength wise against Dolson type post players - she has a body type that is not easy to add bulk to - long limbs on a slight frame (not unlike BG) and she will never carry Dolson like mass. She will always be better defensively against forwards/wings and I suspect Morgan though shorter and with less wingspan will be the first option to replace Kiah in defensing against low post centers. Morgan has more bulk and strength and probably always will.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
One of Stewart's objectives for the summer was to improve her ball-handling so she could take defenders off the dribble. That was also an objective for KML, and John A reported that they worked together on this. Part of this is the natural progression of their games, i.e., becoming more than just catch and shoot players; part of this may be filling the role Hartley played of making plays when things break down; and part may be the reality of losing the best screener in the game (Dolson) and needing the two best offensive options to be able to break down defenders with the ball. Stewie said last week she believes she can break down any defender one-on-one.

Reaction Score
Thanks to all on your very informative comments about Stewie. I was not unaware of her inside scoring prowness, just wondering how she might play and score against the more traditional post players. But all seem to be in agreement that ball-handling and making plays off the dribble were the goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom