Michael Kay is an idiot, Bilas defends shabazz | The Boneyard

Michael Kay is an idiot, Bilas defends shabazz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Saying what Shabazz said left a bad taste in his mouth and it was wrong place at wrong time. Says that Uconn was responsible for getting banned that the players weren't the victims.

Bilas basically said no it was right place because we are talking about it now and that APR is a bunch of B.S. that has nothing to do with academic standing.

Michael Kay goes why isnt UK facing ban.

And Bilas says exactly my point, its arbitrary.

Reaction Score
Bilas has been a great advocate for the players.

The NCAA is falling apart. You can feel it. The tide is shifting and they aren't in a good position to deal with it.

Reaction Score
Bilas has been a great advocate for the players.

The NCAA is falling apart. You can feel it. The tide is shifting and they aren't in a good position to deal with it.
Thing is, the NCAA is basically the "middle class" of college basketball. It's all the teams, all the presidents. If they didn't like what the NCAA did, they would change it. It's kind of like your local police department. Without becoming overly political, if society didn't like what your local men in blue did in the dark of night, they would stand up and change it. But they don't, which tells me that society doesn't care about what happens in the dark of night. Same logic applies to the NCAA. If the rank and file had a problem with the NCAA, they would speak up. They don't and they don't.

Reaction Score
Tony Kornheiser on PTI wasnt thrilled about it either but it seemed to me he really had no idea of what the whole apr thing is. Wasnt our apr also effected by guys leaving early for the draft?

Reaction Score
Tony Kornheiser on PTI wasnt thrilled about it either but it seemed to me he really had no idea of what the whole apr thing is. Wasnt our apr also effected by guys leaving early for the draft?
Literally no one has any idea how the APR works. No one.

Reaction Score
Headline sports does not have the time or inclination to explain our APR issue in depth so you get a black cloud where people don't really understand what happened and then take the NCAA position against us ie: we did bad. Think for a second about the incredible academic fraud situation at North Carolina where the academic advisor ultimately quit. APR is perfect.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Cue @upstater informing us about what the APR is.

Only person I've ever seen make a case for understanding it. Or at least understanding why it sucks.

Reaction Score
Cue @upstater informing us about what the APR is.

Only person I've ever seen make a case for understanding it. Or at least understanding why it sucks.

I know what the rules are, but no one knows how anyone applies them. Because each school is in charge of its own curriculum, each school gets to decide what it means for someone to qualify and therefore be retained. Because of privacy laws, we'll never know how this rule works.

The rule sucks because it prevents kids from getting an education. Now, it's hard to make that point since playing NCAA basketball also makes it very difficult to get an education, so it may be moronic to blame the rule. Nonetheless, playing basketball (and 40 games) is different from codifying a statistic which encourages schools to make a mockery of attaining a degree. This means that while college basketball may be hypocritical and problematic, it's not an outright sham.

Again, the NCAA wants this sham to continue. I saw Derrick Z. Jackson of the Boston Globe (one of the chief NCAA critics when it comes to education) fall hook, line and sinker this year for APR and GSR. If the NCAA really wanted to do something about academics, they'd create some admission standards (very low), they'd reduce the number of games (and travel), they'd guarantee scholarships for 4 years and penalize schools with one and dones by allowing schools to renew scholarships only once every two years (i.e. if a player leaves, you have to wait a year to give it to someone else), and then you'd stop worrying about academics and leave it up to the schools.

At many state universities with working student populations (even at AAU schools), the grad rate for regular students is low after 4 years. At my school it's around 50%. But after 5 years it jumps to 67% and then after 6 years it is 80% for incoming freshman. It makes no sense, in an era when we offer fewer classes than ever before and therefore make it difficult to graduate on time, to hold student athletes accountable for graduating in 4 years. BBall players should only take 2 classes tops in the Spring. Football players the same in the fall.

Last edited:

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
I know what the rules are, but no one knows how anyone applies them. Because each school is in charge of its own curriculum, each school gets to decide what it means for someone to qualify and therefore be retained. Because of privacy laws, we'll never know how this rule works.

The rule sucks because it prevent kids from getting an education. Now, that is hard to make that point since playing NCAA basketball also makes it very difficult to get an education, so it may be moronic to blame the rule. Nonetheless, playing basketball (and 40 games) in practice is different from codifying a statistic which encourages schools to make a mockery of attaining a degree. This means that while college basketball may be hypocritical and problematic, it's not an outright sham.

Again, the NCAA wants this sham to continue. I saw Derrick Z. Jackson of the Boston Globe (one of the chief NCAA critics when it comes to education) fall hook, line and sinker this year for APR and GSR. If the NCAA really wanted to do something about academics, they'd create some admission standards (very low), they'd guarantee scholarships for 4 years and penalize schools with one and dones by allowing schools to renew scholarships only once every two years (i.e. if a player leaves, you have to wait a year to give it to someone else), and then you'd stop worrying about academics and leave it up to the schools.

At many state universities with working student populations (even at AAU schools), the grad rate for regular students is low after 4 years. at my school it's around 50%. But after 5 years it jumps to 67% and then after 6 years it is 80% for incoming freshman. It makes no sense, in an era when we offer fewer classes than ever before and therefore make it difficult to graduate on time, to hold student athletes accountable for graduating in 4 years. BBall players should only take 2 classes tops in the Spring. Football players the same in the fall.
So basically the ncaa sucks!

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

The rule sucks because it prevents kids from getting an education. Now, it's hard to make that point since playing NCAA basketball also makes it very difficult to get an education, so it may be moronic to blame the rule. Nonetheless, playing basketball (and 40 games) is different from codifying a statistic which encourages schools to make a mockery of attaining a degree. This means that while college basketball may be hypocritical and problematic, it's not an outright sham.

Again, the NCAA wants this sham to continue. I saw Derrick Z. Jackson of the Boston Globe (one of the chief NCAA critics when it comes to education) fall hook, line and sinker this year for APR and GSR. If the NCAA really wanted to do something about academics, they'd create some admission standards (very low), they'd reduce the number of games (and travel), they'd guarantee scholarships for 4 years and penalize schools with one and dones by allowing schools to renew scholarships only once every two years (i.e. if a player leaves, you have to wait a year to give it to someone else), and then you'd stop worrying about academics and leave it up to the schools.

At many state universities with working student populations (even at AAU schools), the grad rate for regular students is low after 4 years. At my school it's around 50%. But after 5 years it jumps to 67% and then after 6 years it is 80% for incoming freshman. It makes no sense, in an era when we offer fewer classes than ever before and therefore make it difficult to graduate on time, to hold student athletes accountable for graduating in 4 years. BBall players should only take 2 classes tops in the Spring. Football players the same in the fall.
I heard back in the day that Jen Rizzoti was in the Honors Program majoring in Biochemistry with a near 4.0 grade point avg. She was writing her honors thesis while preparing for the NCAA Tournament which we won. I always said, if I was looking to hire someone into my company I would take her in heartbeat because you cannot teach that kind of intelligence and time management. BTW I majored in biochemistry, wasn't in the Honors program and struggled to balance my classwork with Tuesday night keg parties and Hearts games.

Reaction Score
Literally no one has any idea how the APR works. No one.

Thus ... I believe it WAS created to rifle-shot target UConn. That's my view & I am sticking to it.

With the entire College Sports world replete with scandalous fraud & extraordinary money going to Universities/Power Brokers and not to the "Student- Athletes", the posting of a Graduation chart frosted me. (and then guys like Harvey Araton used it) Do you really believe that Kentucky has an 82% graduation rate & UConn has 8%? This is just gaming the PR. That tells me we are only counting the White Walk-on kids that are on the end of Calipari's bench. There is no one who plays since 2011 more than 5 minutes a game that has graduated.

As a parent, I want my kids to graduate. I want UConn athletes to graduate. But, I think we have more done far more than that .... we have a WHOLE Calhoun generation of GREAT successful guys. Both the NBA players and the guys who became Teachers/Social workers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom