Metro North adding trains to NYC this weekend | The Boneyard

Metro North adding trains to NYC this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How long is the walk from Grand Central to MSG? I know you can take the subway to Times Square then a shuttle to Penn Station but I think I would rather walk.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
CTGoonie said:
How long is the walk from Grand Central to MSG? I know you can take the subway to Times Square then a shuttle to Penn Station but I think I would rather walk.

50 miles. And you should run it with a smart phone in each hand.

Seriously, It's a pretty decent walk but doable. . You are going down 15-16 blocks and over a few Avenues ( which equals about 4 blocks each )

Reaction Score
CTGoonie said:

15-20 minutes. Most days I walked to my old office at 35/7.

Reaction Score
CTGoonie said:

It's a mile and a half from GCT to MSG.

Reaction Score
Thanks guys. Any word on a BY bar near MSG? I'm going with 3 others and should have a couple hours for pre-game festivities.

Reaction Score
One more question from a guy who knows Boston a whole lot better than NYC. Should we buy the roundtrip MTA ticket in advance or can we wait until we get to New Haven?

Reaction Score
One more question from a guy who knows Boston a whole lot better than NYC. Should we buy the roundtrip MTA ticket in advance or can we wait until we get to New Haven?

I think there is a discount to buy online, but they send it by mail, so I think that you are already too late.

How exactly would you buy in advance?

Anyway, you are fine buying at the station, just don't wait and buy on the train, because there is a big premium.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
At this point you need to buy it at the station. MTA tickets are mailed and it takes 2-3 days. To pre buy on the internet, you would have had to purchased on Monday to guarantee a Thursday arrival. Buy the tickets at the kiosk in the station. DO NOT BUY ON THE TRAIN UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY CANNOT AVOID IT!!! There's about a 20% surcharge.

Reaction Score
Ok, thanks. I was thinking you could buy online and pick-up in New Haven like Will-Call. Sounds like it won't be a problem to just buy once we get there. Is it Friday yet!?!

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'm expecting to arrive at GCT around 3:45. Gotta check in the hotel a couple blocks away and we will probably hoof it or take a train. Avenue blocks = 3x street blocks, so we are looking at 20 blocks total. The way I expect to be feeling (provisions on the MTA), that is not a bad walk at all.

Reaction Score
I'm expecting to arrive at GCT around 3:45. Gotta check in the hotel a couple blocks away and we will probably hoof it or take a train. Avenue blocks = 3x street blocks, so we are looking at 20 blocks total. The way I expect to be feeling (provisions on the MTA), that is not a bad walk at all.

Great walk, better than being underground.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Ok, thanks. I was thinking you could buy online and pick-up in New Haven like Will-Call. Sounds like it won't be a problem to just buy once we get there. Is it Friday yet!?!
Online is a little cheaper, but you have to plan about a work week in advance. After paying over 3 bills per ticket what's another couple bucks for a ticket at the station? It won't even buy you 4 oz of pregame beer.

Reaction Score
Great walk, better than being underground.

Agreed, a NYC walk is better than any taxi or subway ride. The weather will be in the 50s on Friday afternoon and the women will be looking so fine on the streets and in the bars (as you pass). So much to see (any route you take) and you will be at the Garden before you know it. Don't go by google or other mileage calculations, somehow and mysteriously it isn't accurate when you're street walking in the City.

Its not like walking in say New Haven/Hartford or at a park, its an experience! Man I miss it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Online is a little cheaper, but you have to plan about a work week in advance. After paying over 3 bills per ticket what's another couple bucks for a ticket at the station? It won't even buy you 4 oz of pregame beer.
I actually got mine for free. All I had to do is have a brother who works for a NCAA sponsor that has great seats to every NCAA tourney game.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I actually got mine for free. All I had to do is have a brother who works for a NCAA sponsor that has great seats to every NCAA tourney game.
No one likes you anymore...;)

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
More like a half hour than the 15 - 20 mins. most folks are estimating. Nice walk as long as the weather is good.

And the subway is just the opposite. Take either the shuttle or the # 7 train from Grand Central to Times Square. Then either the # 1, 2, or 3 one stop downtown to Penn Sta./MSG.

Reaction Score
BlueDolphin said:
More like a half hour than the 15 - 20 mins. most folks are estimating. Nice walk as long as the weather is good. And the subway is just the opposite. Take either the shuttle or the # 7 train from Grand Central to Times Square. Then either the # 1, 2, or 3 one stop downtown to Penn Sta./MSG.

To be fair walking to work with a purpose is different than walking with a group of people so maybe 25-30 minutes is more realistic.

But I did it for 2.5 years so it really isn't estimating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom